By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by…

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept (original 1994; edition 1998)

by Paulo Coelho (Author)

"The story of a young Spanish woman, Pilar, and her encounter with her lost love, an unnamed spiritual seeker who comes to worship the feminine face of God. Clarke's translation is, as usual, somewhat hurried and condensed as if he's impatient with Coelho's admittedly belabored and self-consciously poetical style"--Handbook of Latin American Studies, v. 58.… (more)
Member:RichCarter
Title:By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
Authors:Paulo Coelho (Author)
Info:Thorsons (1998), Edition: New Ed, 238 pages

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept: A Novel of Forgiveness by Paulo Coelho (1994)

English (38)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (45)
Years ago a good friend recommended this to me as one of her favorite books, and I'd been meaning to read it ever since, so when I finally spied it in a used bookshop, I had to snatch it up. I ended up with very mixed feelings about it.

I could see the appeal of the book, and I probably would have appreciated it more if I had read it back in college (as I suspect she did). At my current age, I was a little more resistant. Like The Alchemist, it's part story of emotional journey, part religion/philosophy -- this one focuses on embracing the female aspects of the divine. Now, maybe I've just heard this message enough that it no longer feels radical, maybe I was too busy eye-rolling how much time is spent with a male character lecturing a woman on the female divine, maybe I've just drifted too far in the direction of atheism -- but I just couldn't give myself over to the ride this book wanted to take me on. ( )
  greeniezona | Nov 15, 2020 |
Review From LibraryThing

One of the most romantic places on earth, in my opinion, is Monhegan Island, Maine. Ten miles out to sea there is something about the smell of the salty ocean, the cries of gulls amidst summer wildflowers and dusky fireflies. I was able to read the novella By the River... in two nights amidst all this on said island.
  TallyChan5 | Nov 15, 2020 |
O livro apresenta 16 guias e manuais com inúmeras sugestões sobre temas cotidianos.
  Joao_Bosco | Oct 26, 2020 |
Read as Book 1 of The Trilogy "And On The Seventh Day" ( )
  ElizabethCromb | Apr 27, 2020 |
By the River Piedra romances its reader from start to finish. Protagonist Pilar is twenty eight years old and making her way through life as an independent and capable young woman in Spain. By coincidence she reunites with her boyfriend from eleven years ago. He has turned into a handsome spiritual guru who happens to be a much trusted healer. Together they rekindle their romance while on a journey to the French Pyrenees. Age and time have given them a fresh perspective on love, forgiveness, and spirituality. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Aug 5, 2019 |

Coelho, Pauloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clarke, Alan R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meyer-Minnemann, MaraldeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piippo, JaanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

detebe (23146)
Romanzo Bompiani (I libri di Paulo Coelho)
But wisdom is justified by all her children - Luke 7:35
For I. C. and S. B, whose loving communion made me see the feminine face of God; for Monica Antunes, my companion from the beginning, who with her love and enthusiasm spreads the fire all over the world; for Paulo Rocco, for the joy of the battles we have fought together and for the dignity of the battles we have fought between us; and for Matthew Lore, for not having forgotten a sage quotation from the I Ching: "Perseverance is favorable."
By the river Piedra I sat down and wept.
Every day, God gives us the sun - and also one moment in
which we have the ability to change everything that makes us unhappy. Every day, we try to pretend that we haven't
perceived that moment, that it doesn't exist - that today is the same as yesterday and will be the same as tomorrow. But if people really pay attention to their everyday lives, they will discover that magic moment. It may arrive in the instant when we are doing something mundane, like putting our front door key in the lock; it may lie hidden in the quiet that follows the lunch hour or in the thousand and one things that all seem the same to us. But that moment exists - a moment when all the power of the stars becomes a part of us and enables us to perfom miracles.

Tijdens een reis van een week door de Pyreneeën ontmoet Pilar, een studente uit Barcelona, een jeugdvriend van wie zij altijd is blijven houden. Deze vriend koestert gelijke gevoelens voor haar, maar zijn probleem is dat hij op het punt staat zich tot priester te laten wijden.
Via deze aangrijpende liefdesgeschiedenis toont Coelho ons de vrouwelijke kant van God. Dit prachtige boek werpt een ander licht op de kracht van de liefde en de ervaring van het spirituele. [Bol.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,222,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible