Whistleblower by Tess Gerritsen

Whistleblower (edition 2008)

by Tess Gerritsen

The man emerged from the mist, right in front of Cathy Weaver's car. He was running from killers who were closing in on him. Cathy had no choice - either pick him up or he dies. Victor Holland's story sounded like the ravings of a man on the brink of madness, but his claim to be a fugitive was confirmed by the haunted look in his eyes, and the bullet hole in his shoulder. As each hour brings pursuers ever closer, Cathy has to wonder, is she giving her trust to a man in danger - or trusting her life to a dangerous man?--… (more)
Member:Laura_lita
Title:Whistleblower
Authors:Tess Gerritsen
Info:Richmond : Mira, 2008.
Collections:Wishlist

Whistleblower by Tess Gerritsen

English (9)  Dutch (2)  All languages (11)
Synopsis/blurb....

The man emerged from the mist, right in front of Cathy Weaver's car--running from killers who were closing in on him. Victor Holland's story sounded like the ravings of a man on the brink of madness, but his claim to be a fugitive was confirmed by the haunted look in his eyes--and the bullet hole in his shoulder. As each hour brings pursuers ever closer, Cathy has to wonder, is she giving her trust to a man in danger or trusting her life to a dangerous man?
---------
My take....

My wife is a big fan of Tess Gerritsen's books, in particular her Rizzoli and Isles series. Whistleblower is a standalone I bought for her and pre-dates R+I by nearly 10 years. I've read a few from Gerritsen over the years, but couldn't claim her as a favourite of mine. I did enjoy this one though, probably more thriller than outright crime fiction, which - as the book progresses - develops into borderline romantic fiction.

It starts at a pace. Victor Holland is being pursued and Cathy Weaver after bumping him with her car, takes him to hospital, bullet wound and all. He has temporarily escaped from danger. Later that night, Cathy's pregnant friend is mistaken for her and murdered. Cathy is bereft and puzzled, not realising she herself was the target - the killer mistakenly believing Victor passed something onto her. Something he initially believes he has recovered from her car. Victor after recovering from surgery and fleeing the hospital knows better.

I quite like the lone man against THE MAN type thriller. In this case we have two strangers thrust together, forced to trust each other while their stop at nothing pursuers come ever closer to them. The raison d'etre for the whole episode? Victor Holland's employer has been developing a biological weapon illegally for a deniable US Government adviser. Holland's colleague was killed when he baulked at the project, getting some evidence to Victor before his death. Victor has the baton now and is the whistleblower and Cathy the innocent caught up in events because of the accidental RTA at the opening of our book.

I liked this one more than I expected to. It's an interesting premise which has characters trying to do the right thing, barely holding it together and ever increasingly paranoid in that they can't trust anyone, with big brother manipulating media and law enforcement to conspire in their capture with the propagation of fake news about Holland - Gerritsen about 25 years ahead of her time!

Great pace, very tense, chilling in places as the pursuit of Cathy Weaver (almost on a par now with Holland as an enemy of the people) has severe consequences for others of her name, decent characters, plenty of friendship and loyalty on display as well as dogged determination.

If I had one criticism it would probably be churlish, but the two main characters are drawn closer together and not unnaturally develop feelings for each other during the course of the book. We don't hear wedding bells at the outcome, but I'm guessing they aren't a million miles away. It's not one of my preferred reading traits, a burgeoning love story but here it was credible, just not something I go mad about personally.

Overall not too bad.

Source - owned copy
Format - paperback

http://col2910.blogspot.com/2018/11/tess-gerritsen-whistleblower-1992.html ( )
  col2910 | Nov 15, 2018 |
Just, as others have written, too much romance for too little story. I was listening to the audio and just wished the reader could go about five times as fast so I could get to the end and see what happened---the book would have made that easy! ( )
  nyiper | Jun 10, 2016 |
good - bit too much romance for me. Read a bit like a screen play in bits towards the end but I enjoyed it ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
After two days I had to look at the back cover blurb to see what it was about again to write my review, so not a very memorable book. Not bad, but nothing special. Plot is okay, main characters are okay, although I'm not entirely convinced about their relationship.
Grade: C ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
Round two of the Gerritsen-double in one back with a story from 1992. And here again a man and a woman meet under difficult circumstances: he is shot and bumps into her car and she takes him to hospital. That's the beginning of a hunt because the villains want them both dead and they just want to survive and make love. Naturally, that's what a guy and a gal do when they meet. They just fall in love. But of course there's silly doubting and hot kisses till the end. Unfortunately there's not much more because the thriller plot doesn't contain much more than escaping from a vicious killer over and over again. Not very entertaining or interesting. The only thing that keeps you going is the great ability to write from Gerritsen; even more than 20 years ago, she know how to put a reading spell on you. Good that she's able to put a better story together nowadays.... ( )
  Kaysbooks | Aug 16, 2014 |
Wie de klok luidt, kan nooit meer terug..
Takken sloegen in zijn gezicht, en zijn hart ging zo tekeer dat zijn ribben het bijna begaven, maar hij moest door.
ISBNs 0886041465 & 1552041468 are abridged (condensed/shortened) audiobooks, read by Paula Parker. Please do not combine with the full-length book since they are not the same work.

A deadly truth... When Victor Holland comes flying out of the night, he runs straight into the path of Catherine Weaver's car. Having uncovered a terrifying secret which leads all the way to Washington, Victor is running for his life - and from the men who will go to any lengths to silence him. Victor's story sounds like the ravings of a madman, but the haunted look in his eyes - and the bullet hole in his shoulder - tell a different story. As each hour brings pursuers ever closer, Cathy has to wonder, is she giving her trust to a man in danger or trusting her life to a dangerous man?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,251,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible