Zero at the Bone: A Mystery by Mary Willis…

Zero at the Bone: A Mystery (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Mary Willis Walker (Author)

Member:dustydigger
Title:Zero at the Bone: A Mystery
Authors:Mary Willis Walker (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (1991), Edition: 1st, 264 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:crime, mary willis walker, 2019 : my reads

Zero at the Bone by Mary Willis Walker (1991)

Although a decent book after several years it doesn't stay with me. I reread my notes on the book and if it weren't for them I wouldn't have remembered reading this book at all. I do remember it took me weeks to finish it. I had a hard time connecting to the character Katherine and could care less who killed her father whom she hadn't seen in over 30 years. This is definitely not a cozy as the context was a bit more graphic then that. Katherine not only finds herself in the business of uncovering the reason behind her fathers death but also the death of several other men, an illegal rare animal selling ring, and a deep dark family secret. Overall I would say the book wasn't bad but I didn't rush out and read any other books by this author either. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
This is the first book by this author that I have read and have enjoyed reading it. She has 3 other books available and I have bought all 3 which much say something. Not a bad read.

Back Cover Blurb:
It's feeding time at the zoo. Who's for dinner?
Katherine Driscoll hasn't heard from her father since she was a baby -over thirty years ago. She's deeply suspicious when he writes her a letter. How does he know she is in desperate need of help? Although she's the best dog trainer in Texas, she must find $90,000 immediately or lose everything, including her beloved golden retriever, Ra.
But when she tries to take her father up on his offer, she finds that he is already dead, mauled by a tiger at the zoo where he was a keeper. Katherine resolves to investigate, drawn to uncover long-buried family secrets which appear to be entangled with events at the zoo. Grimly repressing her fear of snakes, she joins the staff of the reptile house. Only to realize that the tiger isn't the only killer around. ( )
  mazda502001 | Feb 21, 2011 |
...a fabulous unsung mystery writer. Runs circles around Patricia Cornwell and Jonathan Kellerman. ( )
  donkeytiara | Sep 5, 2010 |

Katherine Driscoll is just three weeks away from disaster: foreclosure on her home and business, even the sale of her beloved dog.  She has no hope of raising the $91,000 she so desperately needs--until the father she hasn't seen for thirty years writes to her, offering her enough money to solve her problems...if she will do one thing in return.

But Katherine may never learn what that is.  When she arrives in Austin, she is hours too late: her father has died in a bizarre accident.  As she sifts through the cryptic notes he left behind, she finds herself caught up in terrible family secrets--and a deadly illicit trade.  The more she learns, the more determined she becomes to prove her father's death was no accident.  In doing so, Katherine will make a bitter enemy--one desperate enough to kill...and perhaps, kill again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

Having to raise $91,000 or lose her home and business, Katherine Driscoll is desperate, until the father she has not seen in thirty years offers to help, but when her father is killed, she becomes involved in a deadly trade.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,408,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible