The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel

The Clan of the Cave Bear (1980)

by Jean M. Auel

Series: Earth's Children (1)

Recently added byCesar_Zgz, rena75, MithrilMcMeechan, pimplemouse, private library, Perrodro, emhull99
    Picture Maker: A Novel by Penina Keen Spinka (GCPLreader)
    Across the Face of the World by Russell Kirkpatrick (wali5905)
    Raven : roman over een jagerszoon in het stenen tijdperk by Jan Houdijk (Smitie)
    Smitie: Dutch book about a young boy from a hunter/gatherer tribe travels to the east and discovers a whole new culture of the first farmers. A very nice tale from the historic period after the ice ages.
    The Kin by Peter Dickinson (mene)
    mene: I thought "The Kin" was a bit similar to Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" series (book 1 being "The Clan of the Cave Bear"), though Dickinson's book is really targeted at children and it's also written from the childrens' viewpoints. The similarities are that both books take place in the prehistory (although CotCB a LOT later, around 35.000 years ago), both have clans of people who speak and clans who don't speak (and the speaking-people debating whether the non-speaking clans are really people or just people-like animals), and in both books the characters travel through the land. Both authors also describe the landscape very well, though in a different way. The differences are the target audience and consequently the events. In Dickinson's book, it's not really a problem if someone from the speaking-clan gets a child with someone from a non-speaking-clan, but this is a big problem in Auel's books.… (more)
    Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (mcenroeucsb)

English (213)  Spanish (9)  Dutch (9)  French (4)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  All languages (238)
I enjoyed this book much more than I anticipated. I thought cave men would be a boring read, but hell, I was sucked right in. Jean M. Auel did an insanely impressive job immersing the reader into a highly complex and intricate world in which survival is not guaranteed. Ayla may not have been born into the clan tribe (she clearly looks different, she's lean, tall, and has blond hair), but she begrudgingly gets their acceptance after she is taken in as a child by the clan's medicine women. Ayla learns to communicate with them using movement, not sounds, and learns the clan hierarchy and tools for survival. It's a coming of age story set in the ice age and it is way more engrossing then I ever thought. I'm honestly tempted to continue on with the series! The ending was a bit of a shock! ( )
  ecataldi | Oct 15, 2018 |
I'll be honest - it took me a second try to get into this. My mom LOVED these books and recommended them to me many years ago. I happened to find one of them at a thrift store and figured I could give them a try. The story is beautiful and Jean Auel really bring the scenery and surroundings to life. It wasn't until I tried it again (maybe with a different mind set than the first time) that it really picked up for me and stuck. I enjoyed it and bought the entire series so I can read them all! ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
I read this book years ago and absolutely loved it. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
I borrowed this book from the library about 10 years ago and let it expire and had to return it unread. I never got around to trying again until I saw it on the Great American Read list and decided to add it to my list of GAR books to try and enjoy this year.

I loved it! I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of their surroundings from that time period and the ways they survive and enjoy life in such an unforgiving climate. I need to know what happens next to Ayla and I'll be grabbing the second book very soon! ( )
  ChelleBearss | Aug 11, 2018 |
WOW! I can not believe how much I loved this book. This was completely out of my comfort zone. But I am Anxiously awaiting book 2 to come in the mail. ( )
  TraceyTurnsThePage2 | Jul 23, 2018 |

Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for RAY
My worst critic
—and best friend
The naked child ran out of the hide-covered lean-to toward the rocky beach at the bend in the small river.

From the back of the book:Here is a novel of awesome beauty and power. A moving saga about people, relationships and boundaries of love. Through Jean Auel’s magnificent storytelling, we are taken back to the dawn of mankind nd swept up in the wonderful world of a very special heroine, Ayla. Her enthralling story is one we can all share. A natural disaster had left young Ayla alone, wandering, fending for herself in an unfamiliar land. One day she is discovered by the Clan of the Cave Bear, men and woman far different from her own people. The tall blond, blue eyes Ayla is a mysterious stranger to the Clan and at first they mistrust her and cast her out. But as she grows to know them and learn the ways of the clan, she is welcomes. And as she leads them in the struggles for survival, the clan comes to worship Ayla. For in her blood flows the future of humanity.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553381679, Paperback)

When her parents are killed by an earthquake, 5-year-old Ayla wanders through the forest completely alone. Cold, hungry, and badly injured by a cave lion, the little girl is as good as gone until she is discovered by a group who call themselves the Clan of the Cave Bear. This clan, left homeless by the same disaster, have little interest in the helpless girl who comes from the tribe they refer to as the "Others." Only their medicine woman sees in Ayla a fellow human, worthy of care. She painstakingly nurses her back to health--a decision that will forever alter the physical and emotional structure of the clan. Although this story takes place roughly 35,000 years ago, its cast of characters could easily slide into any modern tale. The members of the Neanderthal clan, ruled by traditions and taboos, find themselves challenged by this outsider, who represents the physically modern Cro-Magnons. And as Ayla begins to grow and mature, her natural tendencies emerge, putting her in the middle of a brutal and dangerous power struggle.

Although Jean Auel obviously takes certain liberties with the actions and motivations of all our ancestors, her extensive research into the Ice Age does shine through--especially in the detailed knowledge of plants and natural remedies used by the medicine woman and passed down to Ayla. Mostly, though, this first in the series of four is a wonderful story of survival. Ayla's personal evolution is a compelling and relevant tale. --Sara Nickerson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

Twenty years ago The Clan of the Cave Bear became a blockbuster, launching a bestselling saga. Beginning April 30, 2002, its success will reach all - new heights, with Crown's hardcover publication of the fifth volume in the story, The Shelters of Stone. The new hardcover, paired with Bantam's spring mass market repackaging and repromotion effort, will ensure that a whole new generation is introduced to this incredible epic. Summer delivers trade paperback editions of this contemporary classic, available for the first time ever. That means that all readers - and all booksellers - can get the novels in their format of choice. With momentum for these epics at its highest in over a decade, readers will yearn to discover the magic of Ayla's saga, or to refresh their memory of it. And one woman's odyssey, beginning at the dawn of time, will once again capture the imagination of millions. This novel of awesome beauty and power is a moving saga about people, relationships, and the boundaries of love. Through Jean M. Auel's magnificent storytelling we are taken back to the dawn of modern humans, and with a girl named Ayla we are swept up in the harsh and beautiful Ice Age world they shared with the ones who called themselves the Clan of the Cave Bear. A natural disaster leaves the young girl wandering alone in an unfamiliar and dangerous land until she is found by a woman of the Clan, people very different from her own kind. To them, blond, blue-eyed Ayla looks peculiar and ugly - she is one of the Others, those who have moved into their ancient homeland; but Iza cannot leave the girl to die and takes her with them. Iza and Creb, the old Mog-ur, grow to love her, and as Ayla learns the ways of the Clan and Iza's way of healing, most come to accept her. But the brutal and proud youth who is destined to become their next leader sees her differences as a threat to his authority. He develops a deep and abiding hatred for the strange girl of the Others who lives in their midst, and is determined to get his revenge.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible