The Clan of the Cave Bear (1980)

by Jean M. Auel

Series: Earth's Children (1)

The Clan of the cave bear is the first of Jean Auel's Earth's Children series. Ayla, a tall, blond, blue-eyed girl lost her family in an earthquake. She is nurtured and protected by some members of the Clan, but there are those who would cast her out because of her strange and threatening ways. Ayla's adventures 25,000 years ago include details of the world as it might have been.… (more)
    Picture Maker: A Novel by Penina Keen Spinka (GCPLreader)
    Raven : roman over een jagerszoon in het stenen tijdperk by Jan Houdijk (Smitie)
    Smitie: Dutch book about a young boy from a hunter/gatherer tribe travels to the east and discovers a whole new culture of the first farmers. A very nice tale from the historic period after the ice ages.
    The Kin by Peter Dickinson (mene)
    mene: I thought "The Kin" was a bit similar to Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" series (book 1 being "The Clan of the Cave Bear"), though Dickinson's book is really targeted at children and it's also written from the childrens' viewpoints. The similarities are that both books take place in the prehistory (although CotCB a LOT later, around 35.000 years ago), both have clans of people who speak and clans who don't speak (and the speaking-people debating whether the non-speaking clans are really people or just people-like animals), and in both books the characters travel through the land. Both authors also describe the landscape very well, though in a different way. The differences are the target audience and consequently the events. In Dickinson's book, it's not really a problem if someone from the speaking-clan gets a child with someone from a non-speaking-clan, but this is a big problem in Auel's books.… (more)
    Across the Face of the World by Russell Kirkpatrick (wali5905)
    Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (mcenroeucsb)
    The Inheritors by William Golding (Cecrow)

English (237)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (9)  French (6)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  All languages (272)
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
Really strong story about a little orphaned human girl adopted by a troop of Neanderthals. Justifiably famous, this is extremely well told, and follows the little girl who strives to fit in with the only community she has ever known. Very credible descriptions of lots of Neanderthal technology and how she becomes a much loved member of the band and a leading healer and medicine woman. ( )
  Matt_B | Apr 22, 2022 |
This book has a poor writing style, I read the book and 5 of the other books in the series because they are on our bookshelf. I thought it might improve as the series went on, but I like the series less and less with each book. My wife keeps telling me to stop reading the series since I don't care for it, but I had kept hoping it would improve. ( )
  JopLee1 | Nov 11, 2021 |
It was an enjoyable book and audiobook. I think I didn't like it as much because I kept pausing and restarting. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
Still remember reading this and others in the saga. Jean M. Auel is a Mensa member a recognized by the French as a renowed author (Ordre des Arts et des Lettres). Here's what I wrote after reading in 1983: "Story of an ice-age clan living under strict rule of tradition which will face its demise in short time and a young woman, Ayla, who will be mother to a new form of humanity. Pretty good - interesting." ( )
  MGADMJK | Aug 28, 2021 |

[None]
for RAY
My worst critic
—and best friend
The naked child ran out of the hide-covered lean-to toward the rocky beach at the bend in the small river.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,703,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible