The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel

The Clan of the Cave Bear (original 1980; edition 1980)

by Jean M. Auel (Author)

Series: Earth's Children (1)

The Clan of the cave bear is the first of Jean Auel's Earth's Children series. Ayla, a tall, blond, blue-eyed girl lost her family in an earthquake. She is nurtured and protected by some members of the Clan, but there are those who would cast her out because of her strange and threatening ways. Ayla's adventures 25,000 years ago include details of the world as it might have been.… (more)
Member:kitcatt
Title:The Clan of the Cave Bear
Authors:Jean M. Auel (Author)
Info:Crown (1980), Edition: 1st, 468 pages

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel (1980)

Picture Maker: A Novel by Penina Keen Spinka (GCPLreader)
    Raven : roman over een jagerszoon in het stenen tijdperk by Jan Houdijk (Smitie)
    Smitie: Dutch book about a young boy from a hunter/gatherer tribe travels to the east and discovers a whole new culture of the first farmers. A very nice tale from the historic period after the ice ages.
    The Kin by Peter Dickinson (mene)
    mene: I thought "The Kin" was a bit similar to Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" series (book 1 being "The Clan of the Cave Bear"), though Dickinson's book is really targeted at children and it's also written from the childrens' viewpoints. The similarities are that both books take place in the prehistory (although CotCB a LOT later, around 35.000 years ago), both have clans of people who speak and clans who don't speak (and the speaking-people debating whether the non-speaking clans are really people or just people-like animals), and in both books the characters travel through the land. Both authors also describe the landscape very well, though in a different way. The differences are the target audience and consequently the events. In Dickinson's book, it's not really a problem if someone from the speaking-clan gets a child with someone from a non-speaking-clan, but this is a big problem in Auel's books.… (more)
    Across the Face of the World by Russell Kirkpatrick (wali5905)
    Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (mcenroeucsb)
    The Inheritors by William Golding (Cecrow)

English (233)  Spanish (16)  Dutch (9)  French (6)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  All languages (267)
It was an enjoyable book and audiobook. I think I didn't like it as much because I kept pausing and restarting. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
Still remember reading this and others in the saga. Jean M. Auel is a Mensa member a recognized by the French as a renowed author (Ordre des Arts et des Lettres). Here's what I wrote after reading in 1983: "Story of an ice-age clan living under strict rule of tradition which will face its demise in short time and a young woman, Ayla, who will be mother to a new form of humanity. Pretty good - interesting." ( )
  MGADMJK | Aug 28, 2021 |
4th read started late Jan 2020. // Still reading in late March (I've been sick and distracted). This will be my last re-read so I am making a summary for myself (offline). // Done now. There are some skippable sections (tool making, Buffalo killing, clan gathering competitions) but I still love the story, though I probably wouldn't recommend to others to read.

Amulet items:
- A chunk of red ochre given when she was officially adopted by the clan.
- A fossil cast of a gastropod found when she decided to hunt
- A red-stained oval of mammoth ivory given when the clan accepted her as a hunter. The Woman Who Hunts
- Three nodules of iron pyrite stuck together found when she was exiting her private cave when she decided to return to the clan with Durc before naming day.
- A piece of black manganese given when she was named medicine woman.

Ayla, Iza, Creb, Brun, Uba, Durc, Broud the main characters
---------------

The acknowledgements include a unique thank-you:
"I am grateful to the citizens of the city of Portland and the county of Multnomah, Oregon, whose taxes support the Multnomah County Library, without whose reference materials this book would not have been written."

What a sweetheart.
----------------

Read for the first time in my late teens, this book was the start of my love affair with books. I had read other books. I was always reading for school and pleasure but this was my "WOW, that is something amazing."

I've also listened to the audiobook at least twice. Sandra Burr did a memorable job narrating the story. But by the time she gets to book #6 she starts to make Ayla sound like a vampire. I couldn't listen to it. :(

Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
Loved this book and all there others - but of course the 1st book is always the best ( )
  MPerfetto | Aug 7, 2021 |
Excellent book based on prehistoric fiction and the whole series is a Must read

DanJlaf | May 13, 2021 |

[None]
for RAY
My worst critic
—and best friend
The naked child ran out of the hide-covered lean-to toward the rocky beach at the bend in the small river.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,262,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible