De stam van de holenbeer by Jean M. Auel

De stam van de holenbeer (original 1980; edition 2006)

by Jean M. Auel, Annelies Hazenberg

The Clan of the cave bear is the first of Jean Auel's Earth's Children series. Ayla, a tall, blond, blue-eyed girl lost her family in an earthquake. She is nurtured and protected by some members of the Clan, but there are those who would cast her out because of her strange and threatening ways. Ayla's adventures 25,000 years ago include details of the world as it might have been.… (more)
Member:royalhistorian
Title:De stam van de holenbeer
Authors:Jean M. Auel
Other authors:Annelies Hazenberg
Info:Utrecht [etc.] : Zwarte Beertjes; 543 p, 20 cm; http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/PPN?PPN=29617601X
Tags:Fictie, Historie, De Aardkinderen-serie

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel (1980)

Picture Maker: A Novel by Penina Keen Spinka (GCPLreader)
    Raven : roman over een jagerszoon in het stenen tijdperk by Jan Houdijk (Smitie)
    Smitie: Dutch book about a young boy from a hunter/gatherer tribe travels to the east and discovers a whole new culture of the first farmers. A very nice tale from the historic period after the ice ages.
    The Kin by Peter Dickinson (mene)
    mene: I thought "The Kin" was a bit similar to Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" series (book 1 being "The Clan of the Cave Bear"), though Dickinson's book is really targeted at children and it's also written from the childrens' viewpoints. The similarities are that both books take place in the prehistory (although CotCB a LOT later, around 35.000 years ago), both have clans of people who speak and clans who don't speak (and the speaking-people debating whether the non-speaking clans are really people or just people-like animals), and in both books the characters travel through the land. Both authors also describe the landscape very well, though in a different way. The differences are the target audience and consequently the events. In Dickinson's book, it's not really a problem if someone from the speaking-clan gets a child with someone from a non-speaking-clan, but this is a big problem in Auel's books.… (more)
    Across the Face of the World by Russell Kirkpatrick (wali5905)
    Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (mcenroeucsb)
    The Inheritors by William Golding (Cecrow)

English (220)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (9)  French (5)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  All languages (248)
READ IN DUTCH

A friend of mine recommended this book to me, saying it was one of the best books she had ever read. I knew it had to be something special, because this wasn't something she'd say all the time. So, I was easily convinced to buy/read this book.

And I didn't regret it. I found the story to be so interesting! Yes, there are a lot of descriptions, but I quite liked them and I have been told that the plants Auel describes are in fact plants with healing powers. I always like such kind of details.

When I read this book, I was about thirteen and it was quite a massive book for me in those days, but still I think it only took me a week or so to finish it. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
So, I picked up this book at the story right after the Venus of Hohle Fels showed up on my radar. I was craving some discourse about the Goddess, and craving some insights and ideas about these figurines with whom I identify to a very literal, surface extent. I looked up Venus worship, and there was Jean M. Auel's series. I'd heard much about it already from other folks, notably my parents, who had really enjoyed the first few books when they came out.

It's a fascinating book. I have some issues with it - it's often contrived (especially in dialogues), it suffers from a little too much "rich and beautiful description," and it's outdated (which is not Auel's fault - we didn't think Homo neandertalensis could speak until well after the book was written). But I like it for its large, sweeping vision of a time different than our own, for its wide use of female perspectives, for its parable-like qualities, for its subject matter, for its drama!

On a separate note that is less review and more shooting off at the mouth, I'm intrigued that she made the Homo neandertalensis humans (those of the Clan of the Cave Bear) were the ones who were patriarchical, while I can only assume that I will find in the next book, when I make it there, that the Homo sapiens humans (those like Ayla and modern humans) are matriarchal Goddess worshippers. Being a modern human, and firmly planted in a patriarchy makes me think it might have been the other way around, if it had been at all. And, yes, there are a few matriachical societies among modern humans, we think, and a few more are matrilineal, but this hardly makes it a trend.

I enjoyed it. It was long and arduous at times, but I'm still thinking about a few months later, so that can't be bad, right? ( )
  barrettlucero | Aug 28, 2019 |
Ayla is found by the Clan after an earthquake. They are cromagnum (I assume) and she's other, with her blond hair and blue eyes. While she's very smart, quick and curious these things are not appreciated. Women of the Clan must be meek, mild, obedient. Ayla struggles with these things and is singled out by one of the men who is suppose to be the next leader of the Clan. He torments her. This can be a hard read at times, I know women have come a long way but it can be hard to read about abuse being so accepted. The characters characterizing things in more current descriptions and medical terms was also jarring, popping me out of the story. Some of the events are graphic and may be hard for those sensitive to abuse.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Step back to ancient times, after the dinosaurs, but still very early man, when homo sapiens made some of their first appearances. Ayla’s family was lost in an earthquake and was found by a tribe of man that was preordained to die out. Isa became Ayla’s mother and she grew up with them. Follow her beginnings, trials, adventures.

I loved it! ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 16, 2019 |
I promised myself I was going to read this, but I was unprepared for how terrible this book is. It's so boring. So mind-numbingly boring. Nothing happens. There are telepathic neanderthals, and it's still boring. In the first chapter, there's a catastrophic earthquake and a mountain lion attack, and it's still boring.
This is an unredeemably hideous book. ( )
1 vote miri12 | May 31, 2019 |

Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for RAY
My worst critic
—and best friend
The naked child ran out of the hide-covered lean-to toward the rocky beach at the bend in the small river.

From the back of the book:Here is a novel of awesome beauty and power. A moving saga about people, relationships and boundaries of love. Through Jean Auel’s magnificent storytelling, we are taken back to the dawn of mankind nd swept up in the wonderful world of a very special heroine, Ayla. Her enthralling story is one we can all share. A natural disaster had left young Ayla alone, wandering, fending for herself in an unfamiliar land. One day she is discovered by the Clan of the Cave Bear, men and woman far different from her own people. The tall blond, blue eyes Ayla is a mysterious stranger to the Clan and at first they mistrust her and cast her out. But as she grows to know them and learn the ways of the clan, she is welcomes. And as she leads them in the struggles for survival, the clan comes to worship Ayla. For in her blood flows the future of humanity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,183,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible