Long Day's Journey into Night by Eugene…

Long Day's Journey into Night (original 1956; edition 2002)

by Eugene O'Neill (Author)

Author Eugene O'Neill gives an autobiographical account of his explosive homelife. Fused by a drug-addicted mother, a father who wallows in drink after realizing he is no longer a famous actor, and an older brother who is emotionally unstable and misfit, the family is reflected by their youngest son, who at 23 is a sensitive and aspiring writer.… (more)
Member:TheaterCNU
Title:Long Day's Journey into Night
Authors:Eugene O'Neill (Author)
Info:Yale University Press (2002), Edition: 2nd, 192 pages
Tags:script

Long Day's Journey into Night by Eugene O'Neill (1956)

English (29)  Catalan (1)  All languages (30)
Could easily go 5 stars. Don't feel I can offer anything that any of thousands before me have not. Powerful, dark, and I think it must be true that there is something familiar for each of us, here. I wonder whether that is uniquely American, or simply part of the human condition? Took me a lifetime to get to this and surprised, given my background in American Lit. ( )
  shaundeane | Sep 13, 2020 |
One of the great plays ever. I wonder why it is that the US had some great dramatists in the twentieth century and yet their novelists are generally best forgotten? ( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
I am not an O'Neill fan, but his writing is so smooth and seamless to read. Pleasurable, even though the subject matter is so dark and desperate. A washed up miserly alcoholic actor who loves his dope fiend wife, with a drunken lout of an older don and a consumptive younger son. The family loved and hates eachother for what thry are. All hate Tyrone's miserly ways. Mary blsmes his cheapness for the death of a son years ago. The sons and Tyrone are in dispair as Mary sinks into her addiction. The youngest has tried to get away from the family, but has returned only to be struck with TB. This is basically a day in the life of a family thet wants to live, but is in such dark denial that every minute is a struggle to retain a shred of humanity. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Apr 9, 2019 |
This play undid me. The four damaged Tyrones will be with me for a long time. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
One of my favorite plays of all time. Saw the production with Jason Robards, and also saw Olivier play Tyrone. The monologues and dialogue between the brothers and Tyrone--a marvel. ( )
  deckla | Sep 17, 2018 |

Eugene O'Neillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bloom, HaroldForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siltanen, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Living room of James Tyrone's summer home on a morning in August, 1912.
This entry is for the script of the play; please do not enter any of the filmed or televised versions of the play here.

Yale University Press

3 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300093055, 0300046014, 0300094108

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,695,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible