Some of Us Have to Get Up in the Morning:…

Some of Us Have to Get Up in the Morning: Short Stories (edition 2001)

by Daniel Scott (Author)

1461,169,344 (3.75)None
"A stunning collection." -Memphis Flyer A first collection, loss, inexact communication among family, friends are told with relentless honesty.
Member:Scottharling
Title:Some of Us Have to Get Up in the Morning: Short Stories
Authors:Daniel Scott (Author)
Info:Turtle Point Press (2001), Edition: Illustrated, 232 pages

Some of Us Have to Get Up in the Morning: Short Stories by Daniel Scott

I am really torn about this book. Typically I don't enjoy short stories...just when you get to know the characters the story ends. But, in saying that some of these stories I really enjoyed. It left me thinking about them for days ahead and imagining how their lives would go on. My favorite story was Upside-Down Heart.
I think I would have rated this book higher if it wasn't for the last story; The Host. This story is absolutely gross and unfortunately it changed my outlook on the whole book. To anybody that reads this book, do yourself a favor and DON'T read the last story.
I won this book in a member giveaway and I do appreciate the opportunity to read it. I enjoy reading all kinds of books and it is fun to read something totally out of your realm! ( )
  ShellyQ | Jun 11, 2021 |
Daniel Scott's stories lead us through thoughtful escapism... and on into the final sadistic sex which was hopefully not autobiographical.

"Bypass" yields well-established tension of house and highway, driver and rats, with annoying woman narrator...cover picture works well.

"Cookout" gives Everett a send=off to Marines - for rape or consent?

"Fluency" with illuminating "gender illusionist"/drag queen backstory ends up predictable.

"Infection" features oddly banging baby.

"The Right of Way" was so dispassionate that little connection with character resulted.

"Upside-down Heart" offered many intriguing visuals and may leave readers pondering
whether dance reveals an intimate self. Hope he gets away.

"Ice Machine" delivers some fun confusion!

"Cleanser" gives a great portrayal of a worker, but YUCK all around.

"FELLOW FEELINGS' will have readers wondering forever about the fate of the (finally) ex-priest.

"The Host" needed editing to zero. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jun 7, 2021 |
This was a very interesting book to read, though it was quite different than I thought it would be. All of the stories were riveting and had me wondering about what exactly was going to happen at the end of each one. Several of them really made me stop and think for a bit before I was able to continue on to the next one. All in all, a great read. ( )
1 vote sealford | Jun 4, 2021 |
Well written short stories, with gritty, real-life experiences. Each story takes you into a realm different from the last and thrusts you into a story that leaves you feeling a bit unsettled by the end. Great read and would recommend 👌! ( )
  NixieP | May 22, 2021 |
I bought this book thinking it was a collection of stories with dark humor and dry wit that would get me through a long flight...I did not expect this set of bleak, sad stories of people who feel they've lost something but can't quite remember what it was and where they might find it again.
The tone at first was depressing and I was disappointed with such abrupt peeks into the character's lives. I found, however, that once I reached my destination my mind kept going back and thinking of how things might have resolved, of situations like theirs...the book stays with you. It might not be everybody's cup of tea but Daniel Scott is talented. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Daniel Scott's book Some of Us Have to Get Up in the Morning was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,454,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible