Anastasia's Chosen Career by Lois Lowry

Anastasia's Chosen Career (original 1987; edition 1988)

by Lois Lowry (Author)

Series: Anastasia Krupnik (7)

Thirteen-year-old Anastasia acquires poise and self-confidence, a new friend, and advice on becoming a bookstore owner when she commutes to Boston to take a modeling course.
Member:PartridgeLibrary
Title:Anastasia's Chosen Career
Authors:Lois Lowry (Author)
Info:Yearling (1988), Edition: First Edition, 160 pages
Tags:junior fiction paperback, #30637

Anastasia's Chosen Career by Lois Lowry (1987)

After the last couple of Anastasia books sagged a little, this one was back in shape. Many episodes that had me laughing out loud in a well structured story.
Anastasia is assigned to do a report for school on her chosen career. She wants to run a bookstore, but she believes she needs more poise and charm to do so. So over a school break, she enrolls in a modeling school's week long class for middle schoolers. And while in Boston taking the course, she'll also interview a bookstore owner.
Nothing turns out as she expected. The modeling school is in a run-down dingy building and is run by an overweight old woman and her even more overweight husband. The bookstore owner doesn't have a clue how to run a business, but just lives on her husband's income and enjoys owing a bookstore that doesn't make any money.
At the modeling school, Anastasia meets Henrietta "Henry - call me Henrietta and you die" Peabody, and to her surprise, Robert Giannini, (a weird kid from the original Anastasia book) comes to the school as well.
Drawbacks: several insensitive comments about overweight people, and after Henry (who is 13 years old mind you) gets a haircut at the modeling school, she is so beautiful that grown men are ogling her... which made me pretty uncomfortable. ( )
  fingerpost | Sep 22, 2019 |
This one had some great moments, but it felt somewhat dated to me. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This was my favorite of the series when I was a kid, but now I think I like the first one best. Still, it's a MAKEOVER STORY! ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
Anastasia returns to form in this volume of the series. Anastasia decides to take a modeling class to help her with her school project "My Chosen Career"...which is to be a bookstore owner. That sounds like the most excellent career in the world. However, this is also the least realistic of the Anastasia books so far. I find it unrealistic that the Krupniks would let their 13 year old daughter attend a modeling class in downtown Boston by herself. I find it unrealistic that Robert Giannini who appeared in the first and second books of this series would coincidentally show up in this same class. I also find it unrealistic that a 13 year old would have saved up enough babysitting money to take a $119 modeling course in 1987. I remember being paid $3 an hour to babysit in 1991. Oh, well. I always enjoy reading this book, even as an adult. ( )
  EmScape | Jan 20, 2010 |
Anastasia only has one week to work on her school assignment called "My Chosen Career." She must first develop poise and self-confidence. So Anastasia takes the plunge and spends her life savings on a modeling course at Studio Charmante. She has one week to interview a bookstore owner, write a report, and complete her modeling course. Luckily her new friend Henry is with her most of the way so hopefully he can help her out. Only she has the answers! ( )
  dgadkins88 | Nov 23, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,247,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible