The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson

The Stone Gods (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Jeanette Winterson (Author)

This new world weighs a yatto-gram . . . On the airwaves, all the talk is of the new blue planet - pristine and habitable, like our own 65 million years ago, before we took it to the edge of destruction. And off the air, Billie and Spike are falling in love. What will happen when their story combines with the world's story, as they whirl towards Planet Blue, into the future? Will they - and we - ever find a safe landing place? An interplanetary love story - of Billie and Spike, of the past and the future; a traveller's tale; a hymn to the beauty of the world- The Stone Godsis Jeanette Winterson at her brilliant best. Playful, passionate, polemical, and frequently very funny, this is a novel that will change forever the stories we tell about the earth, about love and about stories themselves.… (more)
Member:FuschiasRoom
Title:The Stone Gods
Authors:Jeanette Winterson (Author)
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (UK) (2007), Edition: Open market e., 206 pages

The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson (2007)

English (40)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (42)
Maybe it should be four stars? But maybe it's a bit too disjointed?
Perhaps I should just read it again all in one go and see.

Patches of excellent but a bit too patchy overall. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
This one was a slow start for me and felt like pretty crappy science fiction. Toward the middle, I began to feel more optimistic and even started to like it, but then it devolved into something resembling Pynchonian slapstick that I found pretty annoying (as I often do when Pynchon does it). I found it a real labor; it's a small book that took me five or six days to wade through. Maybe a closer reading than I gave it would have been more rewarding. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
Decent, somewhat overwrought. ( )
  Mithril | Oct 3, 2020 |
Abandoned at 55% read because I just got fed up, for the following reasons.

1) It's a knockoff of a bunch of other science fiction books, most prominently Fahrenheit 451 and Cloud Atlas, but worse.

2) It brought up pedophilia as subject matter a whole lot without ever taking its implications seriously.

3) The middle section set on Easter Island is both hamfisted in driving home the book's themes, and unforgivably racist in its depiction of Easter Islanders. ( )
  dreamweaversunited | Apr 27, 2020 |
There’s a reverse snobbery thing you sometimes find in science fiction in which sf commentators sneer at non-sf authors, so-called “literary fiction” authors, who write sf and sort of get it wrong. I’m not one of them (well, not unless they sneer at science fiction first). Literary authors writing science fiction, whether they acknowledge it or not, has resulted in some excellent science fiction and fiction. Unfortunately, it has also resulted in books some writers would probably sooner didn’t appear on their bibliographies. I mean, Jeanette Winterson is a highly-regarded author in the UK and has written some excellent novels, but The Stone Gods reads like it was written by someone who thinks all literary sf should resemble David Mitchell’s highly successful Cloud Atlas. While the prose is actually really good, everything in the story feels secondhand and, well, used, and you have to wonder what point Winterson thought she was trying to prove. I mean, the novel opens with the sort of misogyny that might not have looked out of place in a 1940s sf novel but would certainly have raised eyebrows in a 2000 one. And then the narrative drops back to the 1700s and Easter Island, and takes as real the myth the islanders caused the islands’ ecological collapse. The idea of using science fiction as one of several narratives to illuminate a point is, in principle, almost impossible to abuse, although perhaps not entirely. Mitchell at least has a history in sf – he was a member of the BSFA for many years – but even so his novels still feel somewhat jejeune on a science-fictional level. Which is somewhat ironic, given that science fiction is itself a largely juvenile genre. But Winterson, an otherwise excellent writer, does not compare well with Mitchell with this book, and I don’t simply mean reading The Stone Gods as sf. In other respects, too. It’s clumsy. It fumbles its deployment of its sf tropes. It seems to imagine sf exists in opposition to an historical narrative. Which is not true. And never has been. Everything a literary author could do wrong when when writing sf-as-literary-fiction it sort of does wrong. And yes, I know “wrong” is not the right word, but you know what I mean. It fumbles everything. It’s almost the dictionary definition of a book by a lit author that sf snobs sneer at. Which unfortunately means it is neither good sf nor good literary fiction. Avoidable. ( )
  iansales | Jan 1, 2020 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

This book is to my oldest friends - Philippa Brewster, Vicky Licorish, Henri Llewelyn Davies, Mona Howard, Peggy Reynolds, Beeban Kidron, Philippa Giles, and Ruth Rendell. And to Ali Smith, who came later, and to Deborah Warner, always.
This new world weighs a yatto-gram.
I don't want to recognize what I can't manage. I want to leave it remote and star-guarded. I want it weightless, because it is too heavy for me to bear. (p. 199)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,521,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible