Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder

by Nadia Shivack

In this book the author gives readers a harrowing look inside her battle with anorexia and bulimia through pictures and captions.

I was quite disappointed by this book on a few different levels. Firstly, I hadn’t realised it was a graphic novel of sorts when I ordered it, & as that really isn’t my thing at all I was quite put off by that. But that wasn’t the book’s fault!

Obviously I can’t really judge it on its graphic merits as I don’t have any real knowledge of that genre. But visually I didn’t find it too impressive. What I feel I can judge it on is the subject matter, having read a number of books in the same vein as this. And on that level...it just didn’t come up to par. Yes, it was personal & honest. But I just felt that the form it took didn’t leave much room for detail or much emotion.

Basically, this left me cold.
  SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
This book was absolutely amazing and I have never seen or read anything like it. It was such a powerful book and there was not even a lot of text in it. "Inside Out" is a story about a girl with an eating disorder and the struggles she goes through. Not only is this book told by the main character, but also the pictures has thought bubbles about what other people are thinking at certain moments too. There are even times when she is telling us readers what is happening/ what she is doing and you can see her own thought bubble about what she is actually thinking. The pictures are really cool too because they are very unique. This book is literally so good and is about an issue that so many people end up dealing with, whether it is them or a loved one. What is also cool is that there are boxes on the page that provide facts such as, "42% of students between the ages of first and third grade want to be thinner." Although this is a sad book it can be useful to those going through this disorder. It makes you think of eating disorders in a different way. ( )
  Juliekessler1 | Oct 8, 2014 |
I happened to pick this up from the shelf at the library - it had just come in. It's sketches, drawings, doodles and notes from someone who suffered from bulimia for decades.
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |
The author tells about her struggle with bulimia and depression, starting with her teen years using pictures and short words, with statistics and facts shown in separate boxes. ( )
  lilibrarian | Apr 11, 2012 |
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

In Nadia Shivack's heartbreaking true story, she tells the world about her life-long problem with eating disorders. Told with a mixture of text and pictures drawn by Ms. Shivack, her preoccupation with food began when her mother told her that not only did she not dress like a girl, but that she was also getting chunky. Her parents had their own problems - her father was overly critical and her mother, a Holocaust survivor, refused to let her three children leave the table until they had cleaned their plates, even though she herself only ate one small meal a day to survive.

When Nadia began swimming competitively in school, her swim coach would praise the girls who were slender and berate those who, in his opinion, needed to lose weight. She began to feel huge and unattractive, and started the cycle of abuse with restricting her diet and then binging on foods that were not allowed. It wasn't long before she met "Ed," her eating disorder - the evil alien being who took over her life.

Nadia's trouble with food was not restricted to her youth. Through high school, through college, through study programs and medication, she struggled with it her entire life. Even knowing the side effects - being unable to sleep, rotting gums from purging, being incapable of having effective relationships - it wasn't until Nadia was about to turn forty that she decided to try another treatment program.

Thankfully, Ms. Shivack did eventually overcome the horror of her eating disorder. Like many other diseases, however, she knows that this will be a lifelong struggle, something that she will always have to work at. By telling her story inside the pages of INSIDE OUT, she hopes that other people struggling with an eating disorder will realize just how serious it is, and that reaching out for help isn't a sign of weakness, but of strength.

Although I've never had an eating disorder, I truly felt empowered by reading INSIDE OUT. Nadia's story could be that of any number of young people in the world today, and I hope that they all are able to come to the same realization that she was - that letting food rule your life is never a good thing. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,242,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible