The Mitfords: Letters Between Six Sisters by…

The Mitfords: Letters Between Six Sisters (2007)

by Charlotte Mosley (Editor), Deborah Devonshire (Contributor), Diana Mitford (Contributor), Jessica Mitford (Contributor), Nancy Mitford (Contributor)2 more, Pamela Mitford (Contributor), Unity Mitford (Contributor)

6701820,424 (4.09)1 / 108

This book gave a very interesting insight to the sisters and how they felt about each other. A little daunting reading 800 pgs of letters but by the end it wet my appetite for more about the Mitford Sisters. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
Letters between six sisters, spanning over 70 years, would be interesting enough.... but the fact these are the Mitford girls make them even more so. Charlotte Mosley's "The Mitfords: Letters between six sisters" is just plain fascinating.

I read Nancy Mitford's "Love in a Cold Climate" & "The Pursuit of Happiness" a couple of years ago and somewhere along the way learned that the characters were based on her aristocratic family. And what a family it was, producing such a myriad of characters -- an author, two fascists, a farmer, a communist and a duchess.

Their correspondence is most interesting during the World War II era, but at times it get a bit hard to read, given their galling political opinions. The letters really show you how the sisters grew and often mellowed in their senior years.

It took a long while to get through this book, but I'm glad I decided to pick it up. ( )
  amerynth | May 5, 2014 |
I found this book fascinating. Stretching over a span of more than seventy years, meeting and knowing some of the most illustrious (and notorious) people in the world, from Winston Churchill, the Kennedy family, and numerous authors to the tops of nazi-Germany, from a perspective that I can only discribe as extremely privilaged, but at the same time NOT leading to happiness- this correspondece is bound to be interesting just from the context of when and where the sisters lived, and whom they knew. Their choices however make their lifes even more extraordinary and the fact that all of them (bar one) are published authors makes the read even more enjoyable. I did not know everything and everyone that featured in the correspondence, but thankfully we have internet and I used Google and Wikipedia a lot in order to get a better insight. Since the letters were edited by the daughter in law of Diana, one of the sisters famed for her not so kosher political convictions, I also cannot but wonder how much there must have been that was NOT included in the book.
Still, the family relationships, diversity of choices, political opinions and destinies alone make this book an excellent read. ( )
  Bookoholic73 | Jan 19, 2012 |
I found this book absolutely fascinating. The Mitford sisters led lives so completely removed from the average, that it feels almost like reading fiction. They were closely linked with an incredible number of political and literary figures.

I knew next to nothing about the Mitfords, having only seen a mention of this book in a magazine. I borrowed it from the library because I thought it would provide an interesting social history of mid-twentieth-century Britain. It turned out to be a good choice, and I had no problem reading the whole thing within my library loan period. Since then I have bought my own copy, and would like to learn more about the family.

The letters cover a period of 78 years, from 1925 to 2003. The sisters discuss the major events that are going on in the world, as well as the minutiae of their daily lives. Each sister writes in such a distinct style that you would be able to identify the writer of each letter, even if they weren't clearly labelled.

The reference material at the front of the book and the biographical information at the beginning of each chapter provide the reader with enough background to follow what the sisters are writing about. The letter selection and pacing are just right to maintain interest. My only minor complaint is that the footnotes provide a little too much detail of who married who. ( )
1 vote SylviaC | Dec 8, 2011 |
After trying to slog through this book for a month and a half (pretty much an eternity in my world), I've decided to stop. That makes it sound like I despised it, but really it was quite informative. It's just simply overwhelming in the sheer volume of correspondence that these sisters generated, especially because I have apparently been living under a rock with my fingers in my ears and had never heard of them before receiving this book. Almost 900 pages about people you don't really know is rather tough to get through. Still, it had its moments, the sisters are quite witty and humourous, and I am sure that Mitford aficionados will find this book a veritable goldmine. Almost my cup of tea, but a bit too strong for my taste. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 26, 2011 |

Mosley, CharlotteEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Devonshire, DeborahContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mitford, DianaContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mitford, JessicaContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mitford, NancyContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mitford, PamelaContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mitford, UnityContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
I had letters from you & the Lady & Henderson today, wouldn't it be dread if one had a) no sisters b) sisters who didn't write. --Deborah to Diana, 21 July 1965

Collects a selection of the more than twelve thousand letters sent between the six Mitford sisters, who were comprised of Jessica, a communist; Debo, the Duchess of Devonshire; Nancy, a best-selling novelist; Diana, a fascist; Unity, who was obsessed with Adolf Hitler; and Pamela, a country wife.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,063,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible