Marvel 1602

by Neil Gaiman, Richard Isanove (Digital Painting), Andy Kubert (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer)

Series: Marvel 1602 Universe (Marvel 1602 1-8), Marvel 1602 (1-8)

1602, England. Her majesty's premier spy, Sir Nicholas Fury, fends off an assassination attempt on the Queen by winged warriors rumored to be in service to a mad despot named Doom. News is spreading of "witchbreed" sightings and at the center of the rising chaos is Virginia Dare, a young girl newly arrived from the New World, guarded by a towering Indian warrior. Can Fury and his allies find a connection to these unusual happenings before the whole world ends?… (more)

English (85)  French (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (92)
England 1602. An old and sick Elizabeth I is on the throne - barely. Unnatural weather hangs over England. The Templars have a secret that could be used as a weapon and all the powers in Europe want it. There are Witchbreeds (mutants) in the land including equivalents of Spiderman, Daredevil, the X Men, Dr Doom, Magneto, Archangel, who are still under threat from those who would fear them.[return][return]A Watcher - who should not interfere - tells the humans that the universe will be destroyed because the forerunner has arrived and the space rift will pull the universe apart. The mutants have to find the rift whilst escaping those who wish to destroy them.[return][return]Fine pulling together of the Marvel Universe and it is always fun to play "spot the mutant out of spandex" game ( )
  nordie | Apr 18, 2022 |
It's the last days of Queen Elizabeth's reign and while she leans heavily on the advice of both her intelligencer, Sir Nicholas Fury, and her new physician, Dr. Stephen Strange, threats are looming. The weather portends evil in the eyes of many. Count Otto Von Doom appears to be restless. And the Grand Inquisitor seems to have a strong fascination with the school of Carlos Javier in England where the Inquisitor believes an enclave of witchbreed are in hiding.

As soon as I heard about this Neil Gaiman authored arc where Marvel characters are living in Elizabethan England, I had to read it. The collection did not disappoint. This is not a time travel tale, and while many of the names and characteristics of these characters are familiar they are not quite the same either. A delight to read both for Marvel and Gaiman fans. Recommended. ( )
1 vote MickyFine | Mar 17, 2022 |
It’s cool to see how the characters in the series reveal themselves, which became the most fun part of it for me. The reveals were often clever, even if you expected them.

The main thing holding the plot together is mostly nonsensical and you can tell Gaiman had more he wanted to say, especially regarding the other world mentioned. ( )
  rottweilersmile | Feb 27, 2022 |
I've always loved Neil Gaiman's writing but this mini-series is the best I've ever read and I like it as much as Sandman my favorite comic. But it's not just a great story, the art work is superb and very appropriate for the story. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
In this book modern Marvel characters are living in the year 1602. I haven't read any Marvel comics in a little bit so this may have been more entertaining for someone who knows the universe better but I really enjoyed it all the same. Based on the other Neil Gaiman I have read, this comic definitely felt like it was written by Gaiman. This book was colored with pretty muted colors which made sense for the time period and the story but I personally really don't like muted color palette so I didn't enjoy that aspect of the book, though the art was generally very pretty and I really liked the parts that looked like watercolor. Overall an interesting tale that blended real and fictional people though I still don't quite understand why there were dinosaurs in America. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Isanove, RichardDigital Paintingmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kubert, AndyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, PeterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, with infinite admiration. For Jonathan and Lenny, comics fiends. And, of course, to Todd, for making it necessary. (Neil Gaiman)
For Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko... for giving us the characters with the stamina of time, that we could take them back in time. For Neil Gaiman and Joe Quesada... for having faith in me. And for my father, Joe Kubert... for showing me how. (Andy Kubert)
For Catherine. For Florian, Sophie, Quentin and Mathieu. (Richard Isanove)
To Neil, for keeping me in mind. (Todd Klein)
To Marge, who first put pencil and paper into my chubby little hands. Many thinks. (Scott McKowen)
-1602- March. Hampton Court. England.
Well, if you put it like that, Ms. Strange, I guess she's not.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,184,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible