dismiss

Marvel 1602 (2004)

by Neil Gaiman, Richard Isanove (Digital Painting), Andy Kubert (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer)

Series: Marvel 1602 TPB (1), Marvel 1602 Universe (Marvel 1602 1-8), Marvel 1602 (1-8)

1602, England. Her majesty's premier spy, Sir Nicholas Fury, fends off an assassination attempt on the Queen by winged warriors rumored to be in service to a mad despot named Doom. News is spreading of "witchbreed" sightings and at the center of the rising chaos is Virginia Dare, a young girl newly arrived from the New World, guarded by a towering Indian warrior. Can Fury and his allies find a connection to these unusual happenings before the whole world ends?… (more)

English (75)  French (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (82)
This read like an AU fanfic, and not a particularly good one at that. I have already gone on at length about everything that was wrong with it to my partner (lucky her) so I don't have the energy to do so again here, but I was extremely disappointed in this, after having it built up for so long. I think the worst thing was the way the female characters were portrayed--or not portrayed, as the case often was. The only female character with any real agency was Natasha and she gets called a whore for it, woo. (Not that that has changed at all since this was written, right, Jeremy Renner?) The ridiculous names come in a close second. The premise is up there as well. (Is it time travel? Is it a straight AU? Do we even care?)

So many of the characters were poorly portrayed, too. It was a bit like Gaiman had read stacks of Dr Strange and Nick Fury comics, but the X-Men and Avengers ones got lost at the bottom of the pile.

I did like the art, so it gets an extra point.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Neil Gaiman yazdığı için okumak istediğim bir eserdi okul kütüphanesinde dolaşırken raflardan birinde görünce hemen alıp başladım. Çizgi roman okuma kültürüm pek yok, Marvel evrenini filmlerden ve dizilerden tkip etmeye çalışıyorum ama Marvel 1602 çok hoşuma gitti, bunun gibi tek veya birkaç ciltlik çizgi romanları okumayı planlıyorum. Hoşuma gidenler:Hikayeyi Neil Gaiman yazdığı için hikayesi çok güzeldi, olayın geçmişte geçmesi, süper kahraman kıyafetlerinin olmaması, önemli karakterlerin çoğunun yer alması ve çizimlerin kaliteli olması.
Hoşuma gitmeyenler:
Birincisi bir karakterin geçmişinde Ankara'ya gittiği ile ilgili bir ifade var o tarihlerde Ankara önemli bir yer değil, karakterin aslında İstanbul'a gittim demesi daha doğru olurdu.
İkincisi Kraliçe Elizabeth'in hiç eleştirilmemesi.
Üçüncüsü 2-3 tane de olsa yazım yanlışı vardı çizgi roman gibi yazının az yer aldığı bir türde bu hatalar göze daha çok batıyor. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
This was tongue in cheek fun and it was beautifully illustrated. I am beginning to believe that Neil Gaiman can do anything.

I'm not very familiar with the Marvel universe as I'm still relatively new to comics and graphic novels and superheroes really aren't my thing. But you don't need to know all of that stuff to enjoy this. I knew enough to recognize most of the characters by their real names and that was all I needed to know. So if you're thinking about giving this a try, I say go for it.

If you check out this review on my blog, there are a few pages from this book on it that I think give a pretty good representation of the artwork within.

http://charlene.booklikes.com/post/1587543/marvel-1602-by-neil-gaiman ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
I enjoyed the mixture of Marvel characters, but I found the plot a bit hard to follow. Nick and Strange also looked a lot a like and I kept mixing them up. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
The Five Faces of MARVEL 1602

------

😍

Acclaimed fantasy writer Neil Gaiman pens this unique alternate reality version of Marvel's world and character. By combining real-world history and his vivid imagination, Gaiman crafts a story so impressively livid and entertaining that you can't help but wonder why no one has thought about combining superheroes with Elizabethan England earlier.

The iconic characters from Marvel's pages have been re-imagined to fit this new reality. Gaiman reveals new surprising characteristics in some of them, while still keeping them recognizable for long time fans.

The art style is one of the smoothest and most beautiful I have ever seen. The color palette perfectly fits the atmosphere of the Elizabethan era. The individual issue cover arts are also among my all-time favorites.

Filled with wonderful humor that only Gaiman masters. The story has Neil Gaiman written all over it, but it doesn't stick out too much or get too distracting.

Gaiman takes typical Marvel-themes and turns them into believable motivators and backstories for his version of the Marvel universe. Mutants fighting for their rights to be special feels surprisingly natural even in an Elizabethan setting.

The most intriguing part of the story and its characters are those that are greatly altered from their usual selves - the singing Irishman Matthew Murdoch, the powerless Peter Paraquagh and Magneto, cleverly hidden in plain sight.

The story takes several twists and turns, introducing new characters and angles, as the intertwining plots and characters all join together to form one big main plot. Gaiman is a master at crafting interesting cliffhangers and utilizing his background in fantasy to write some truly creative scenes.

The epic scale of adventure and excitement is particularly palpable in the final three issues, in which Gaiman goes all bonkers and lets out all of his creative ideas.

😃

Gaiman's text feels true to the era it is set in, without being overly complicated or bloated; it educates the reader and stays true to its era but doesn't shove the time and setting down the reader's throat.

The volume is neatly tied together by the end, successfully explaining why things are the way they are and bringing closure but also leaving the door open for further adventures in this reality.

😐

The story is stuffed with popular heroes and villains from across the entire Marvel palette. Several parallel plots and subplots make some parts of the story difficult to follow, particularly during the first few issues.

☹️

Kubert, AndyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, PeterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, with infinite admiration. For Jonathan and Lenny, comics fiends. And, of course, to Todd, for making it necessary. (Neil Gaiman)
For Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko... for giving us the characters with the stamina of time, that we could take them back in time. For Neil Gaiman and Joe Quesada... for having faith in me. And for my father, Joe Kubert... for showing me how. (Andy Kubert)
For Catherine. For Florian, Sophie, Quentin and Mathieu. (Richard Isanove)
To Neil, for keeping me in mind. (Todd Klein)
To Marge, who first put pencil and paper into my chubby little hands. Many thinks. (Scott McKowen)
-1602- March. Hampton Court. England.
Well, if you put it like that, Ms. Strange, I guess she's not.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,261,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible