Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman

Marvel 1602

by Neil Gaiman, Andy Kubert (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer)

Series: Marvel 1602 TPB (1)

English (70)  French (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (77)
Where to start. This was a nice primer after so much time away from graphic novels. I really enjoyed the artistry and the pacing. It was easy to follow and showed excellent restraint in what was spoken vs shown.

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for an Introduction to this medium of storytelling. Kinda bummed by the lack of wolverine and rogue, though. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |
This is a graphic novel that takes Marvel superheroes and places them in England in 1602, just before Elizabeth I's death. The story continues after her death, as James I of England inherits the throne. He doesn't have the tolerance for magic that Elizabeth did, so the “witchbreed” need to be careful how they proceed.

don't read a lot of comics, but I had hoped to recognize more of the superheroes. Unfortunately, I only recognized a few. I'm sure it would have been much more interesting to me if I'd known who more of them were. I did like all the info included at the end of the book, the Afterword, some of the script (the dialogue with suggestions on how the images should be done), some preliminary sketches, etc. The story itself, just wasn't for me, though there were some parts that were more interesting than others. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 1, 2019 |
This is an interesting concept. Great writing by Gaiman as he places Marvel heroes in the year 1602 - Nick Fury as the queen's intelligence officer, Dr. Strange as her physician. The X-men, FF, and Magneto and others as agents of the Spanish, English, and the Church. The plot is imaginative and pure Gaiman, Kubert's pencils as always are good, and it is an excellent read as the plot unfolds around some actual historic events as well as some fictional events introduced to further the plot development. They do a good job integrating the marvel characters in ways both subtle and yet still utilizing their unique powers and abilities. A really fun read with great art. ( )
  Al-G | Feb 17, 2019 |
[b: Marvel 1602|15719|Marvel 1602|Neil Gaiman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1385102624s/15719.jpg|2371238] is the sort of book that could only come from the mind of [a: Neil Gaiman|1221698|Neil Gaiman|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1234150163p2/1221698.jpg]. All of the famous Marvel characters (minus Wolverine) seem to make an appearance here, in a world in transition. Queen Elizabeth has died, and James I is coming into power and bringing with him the desire to destroy those deemed the Witchbreed. Mutants, of course, fall under this title. As does Doctor Strange, the former Queen's trusted physician and magician. As does Nicollo Fury, the Queen's spy.

We are thrust into a world at once familiar and strange, and unquestionably delightful. The mockups of the classic costumes into appropriate period wear is entertaining, as are the various myths and allusions made throughout the story. Virginia Dare is brilliantly rendered into an appropriate myth by way of traditional Outer Banks folklore, Otto von Doom even fits the time period perfectly, as does the Inquisitor. As delightful as the story itself is, the various reveals are even more wonderful, as is the beautiful artwork - especially of Strange on his various journeys.

I loved this book the first time I read it, and I loved it even more now that I reread it with a greater familiarity of all the characters. While I'm curious about the rest of this series, the lack of it being penned by Gaiman will probably force me to steer clear. It's better having ended like this, appropriately, in its own bittersweet way. This is truly a triumph, and a beautifully odd one at that. At the very least, it solidifies the idea of comics as myths - the archetypes and characters fit incredibly well into every timeline. You can twist them as much as they want, but the character remains at heart the same. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Marvel 1602 es un cómic difícil de argumentar, pues tiene muchas cosas pasando al mismo tiempo y un buen puñado de personajes.

Magia, aventura, suspenso, acción y política son algunas de las cosas que se podrán disfrutar en cada una de las 8 partes del cómic.

La inserción de detalles reales de aquella época como la Inquisición, la Colonia de Raonoke y demás, junto con la fantasía y lo familiar de los personajes de Marvel, fue un toque genial y logrado con suma magnificencia. Obviamente, los detalles históricos han sido alterados para dar mejor congruencia a la historia.

Como dije al principio, hay muchos personajes; muchos de ellos separados o cumpliendo objetivos específicos, por lo que la narración se verá fluctuando entre escenas, complicando un poco la narración. También creo que es una obra que debe leerse rápido y sin muchos preámbulos y distracciones.

No he leído tantos cómics, al menos no tanto como los consumidores norteamericanos, por lo que mi opinión puede ser un poco desentendida y no tener muchas comparaciones. Aún así, disfruté mucho de Marvel 1602. Empieza bien y pierde un poco de fuerzas en la mitad, pero el desenlace acaba fuerte y de manera satisfactoria. Marvel 1602 tuvo tal éxito que luego publicaron cómics paralelos dentro del mismo universo.

¡Ya los tengo en lista! ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kubert, AndyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, PeterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, with infinite admiration. For Jonathan and Lenny, comics fiends. And, of course, to Todd, for making it necessary. (Neil Gaiman)
For Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko... for giving us the characters with the stamina of time, that we could take them back in time. For Neil Gaiman and Joe Quesada... for having faith in me. And for my father, Joe Kubert... for showing me how. (Andy Kubert)
For Catherine. For Florian, Sophie, Quentin and Mathieu. (Richard Isanove)
To Neil, for keeping me in mind. (Todd Klein)
To Marge, who first put pencil and paper into my chubby little hands. Many thinks. (Scott McKowen)
-1602- March. Hampton Court. England.
Well, if you put it like that, Ms. Strange, I guess she's not.

All's not well in the Marvel Universe in the year 1602 as strange storms are brewing and strange new powers are emerging! Spider-Man, the X-Men, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Dr. Doom, Black Widow, Captain America, and more appear in the waning days of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. As the world begins to change and enter into a new age, Gaiman weaves a thrilling mystery. How and why are these Marvel stars appearing nearly 400 years before they're supposed to? Collects Marvel 1602 #1-8.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:02 -0400)

Queen Elizabeth's court magician Doctor Stephen Strange senses something that should not be is going on, while her top spy Sir Nicholas Fury fends off an assassination attempt by the winged warriors who are in the service of Otto Von Doom. There is also a band of young people with mysterious and dangerous abilities and powers called "Witchbreed" who are led by the enigmatic Carlos Javier. Familiar Marvel superhero characters must grapple with the issues of the day, chief among them the machinations of the evil King James of Scotland.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,607,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible