Marvel 1602 (2004)

by Neil Gaiman, Richard Isanove (Digital Painting), Andy Kubert (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer)

Series: Marvel 1602 TPB (1), Marvel 1602 Universe (Marvel 1602 1-8), Marvel 1602 (1-8)

1602, England. Her majesty's premier spy, Sir Nicholas Fury, fends off an assassination attempt on the Queen by winged warriors rumored to be in service to a mad despot named Doom. News is spreading of "witchbreed" sightings and at the center of the rising chaos is Virginia Dare, a young girl newly arrived from the New World, guarded by a towering Indian warrior. Can Fury and his allies find a connection to these unusual happenings before the whole world ends?… (more)

English (81)  French (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (88)
I heard about this book in the Big Bang Theory, and I wanted to try it, since I love Marvel and historical fiction. I have to say, I was not disappointed. The plot was well developed, and the build up was great. This story had twists and turns that I was not expecting and I can truly say that I can see this being how these iconic Marvel characters would act in this place and time.

My only issue with it was I felt like it was summed up really quickly. I wish there would have been one more part so the story didn't have to sum up as quickly as it did. But that is really about it. I enjoyed reading it, most of the plot choices were phenomenal and I was really excited to learn about the fact that there were several more that I will have to look for the next time I visit my local comic book store. If you like comics, Elizabethan England, and Marvel, please pick this up! ( )
  dame_math_a_lot | Jul 24, 2021 |
Marvel characters in 1602
  ritaer | Jul 12, 2021 |
I borrowed the hard-copy of this from my son. We saw the "Avengers" movie a couple days ago. He suggested this might be of interest, since I was asking lots of questions about the characters and back-story. ( )
  n9kju | Feb 18, 2021 |
Very charming, even going in knowing the twist. Kubert and Gaiman both feel weirdly subdued, here, though. I kind of wish the entire book had the woodcut aesthetic that the covers do. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
Gorgeous art and flavorful, evocative setting. (Some faces were a little same-y, though.) Time moved a bit unevenly and the ending was a bit of a mess. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Isanove, RichardDigital Paintingmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kubert, AndyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, PeterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, with infinite admiration. For Jonathan and Lenny, comics fiends. And, of course, to Todd, for making it necessary. (Neil Gaiman)
For Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko... for giving us the characters with the stamina of time, that we could take them back in time. For Neil Gaiman and Joe Quesada... for having faith in me. And for my father, Joe Kubert... for showing me how. (Andy Kubert)
For Catherine. For Florian, Sophie, Quentin and Mathieu. (Richard Isanove)
To Neil, for keeping me in mind. (Todd Klein)
To Marge, who first put pencil and paper into my chubby little hands. Many thinks. (Scott McKowen)
-1602- March. Hampton Court. England.
Well, if you put it like that, Ms. Strange, I guess she's not.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,369,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible