Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Olivia by Ian Falconer

Olivia (original 2000; edition 2004)

by Ian Falconer (Author), Ian Falconer (Illustrator)

Series: Olivia (1)

Member:tyringham
Title:Olivia
Authors:Ian Falconer (Author)
Other authors:Ian Falconer (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2004), 34 pages
Collections:Kids

Olivia by Ian Falconer (2000)

English (226)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (229)
I decided to read this book simply because the title of the book was my name. I have heard of the Olivia series as being a television show, but I did not know that it was a book series as well. I really enjoyed reading the book, and I even saw bits of myself in the book. Olivia does not always listen to her mom, and that was exactly like I was when I was little. One of my favorite parts of the book was when there was probably. 40-50 little images of Olivia on the page and in each one she was doing something different and unique. It reminded me what a child's life should really be like. I am happy I stumbled across this book, even if I was 20 years old by the time I found it. ( )
  oleger | Apr 27, 2019 |
I loved Olivia. So much energy in one little pig, I thoroughly enjoyed the everydayness of her life. I found this book to be an accurate portrayal of what life with young children can really be. The author mentioned on several occasions that Olivia wore her mother out, I know several parents who feel the same way. ( )
  NDeBlieux | Apr 25, 2019 |
This book is very good because of the way it is very relatable to struggles that toddlers deal with. This book is for about a 3-7 year old age group. At this time in kids lives their big struggle is asserting their independence. The author uses this book as a way for kids to see themselves in it. For example, the characters in the book deal with things such as little brothers copying them, getting dressed up in lots of different clothes, and even not being tired during nap time, all things kids can relate to. Additionally, the simplicity of the illustrations really emphasizes certain things and engages the reader.
  crodge3 | Apr 7, 2019 |
This is a well known book about a girl named Olivia. This book has the most minimal yet affective illustrations. Olivia has a bold, persistent, and exciting personality. It is great for early readers because it has words that they can recognize but new ones that could help them learn. ( )
  ValRodriguez | Mar 11, 2019 |
This book begins as a day-in-the-life tale about Olivia. As discussed in the book, Olivia wears a lot of people out, even herself. She is good at a lot of things, and loves trying on all of her clothes. Everyone has a little bit of Olivia in them. Possibly my favorite part of the book were the illustrations. I loved the theme of the color red throughout the entire story, and just about the only time that any other color besides red is shown is when Olivia looks at the ballerina painting. This book is truly a great and fun read for children. ( )
  D.Callais | Feb 14, 2019 |

Mlawer, TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Osberghaus, MonikaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vogel, Hermasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
מולצ'דסקי, יעלTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the real Olivia and Ian, and to William, who didn't arrive in time to appear in this book.
This is Olivia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689829531, Hardcover)

Olivia would be Eloise, if Eloise were a pig. She is good at singing 40 very loud songs and is very good at wearing people out. And scaring the living daylights out of her little brother, Ian, particularly when he copies her every move. She is also quite skilled at reproducing Jackson Pollock's "Autumn Rhythm #30" on the walls at home. When her mother tucks her in at night and says, "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway," Olivia precociously pronounces, "I love you anyway too."

The New Yorker artist Ian Falconer's endearing charcoal portraits of his porcine heroine are spotted with fire-engine red gouache in all the right places--perhaps a tribute to Hilary Knight's red, pink, white, and black celebrations of Olivia's human counterpart? When she dresses up, the bow on her ears, her red lipstick, and her high-heeled shoes are all red. (The only time her shades-of-gray body is pink is when she is sunburned and the area where her bathing suit was is white!) Falconer does a fine job of letting the spare text set up the jokes for the visual punch lines--a dryly humorous interplay that adults will appreciate as much as children.

Preschoolers (and their parents) will see themselves in Olivia--a typical high-energy, over-the-top kid who likes the beach and Degas paintings, but hates naps. On the other hand, she combs her ears and is unusually gifted at sandcastle building. While we are certainly reminded of Eloise, Falconer's portrait is simpler in scope, less demented, and, as a result, less adult. Bottom line: precocious is fun, and we're tickled pink to have Olivia join the parade of, let's just say, individualistic youngsters. (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:44 -0400)

Whether at home getting ready for the day, enjoying the beach, or at bedtime, Olivia is a feisty pig who has too much energy for her own good.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,469,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible