Stargirl (Stargirl Series) by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (Stargirl Series) (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Jerry Spinelli (Author)

Series: Stargirl (1)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.
Member:MissMyers
Title:Stargirl (Stargirl Series)
Authors:Jerry Spinelli (Author)
Info:Ember (2002), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages

Work Information

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (2000)

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (351)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (356)
very few books in young adult sections are worth reading, this being one of them. In a world of Harry Potter, we should really be looking at stars. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
I really didn't like this book. I found the narrator to be cruel and manipulative. He kept putting rules stipulations, and kept trying to change Stargirl. If you want to read about a toxic relationship than read this book. ( )
  mousegrl | Dec 6, 2021 |
What is it?
Stargirl is mostly told in first-person perspective from a 16-year-old high school junior boy named Leo. The story takes place in Mica, Arizona, a town that has only existed for about fifteen years, around the year 2000. Everything about the town and school, according to Leo, is less-than-ordinary and is downright boring, until Stargirl.

Should you read it? YES!
This story has a lot of important messages hidden in its 200-ish pages, reminders we could all benefit from. Even though the characters are high schoolers, I would recommend readers be in 7th grade or higher to understand the conflicts and plot. I saw "on up" because even adults would benefit from some of the lessons and reminders in this book. There’s the reminder to not judge those who are different from you as well as that being popular isn’t always what matters most. Also, there’s the reminder about empathy as well as spreading kindness. There is a reminder of the unfortunate hierarchies within a high school, but this book does a good job of not stressing it as Law like some YA books do. Lastly, there’s the reminder to not take others for granted and to be true to who you are.

The cover of the edition I read can be found above. ( )
  Walsh4KoMets | Nov 15, 2021 |
This book is a story about a teen girl who is not like anyone else. Her name is Stargirl. This book shows how cruel teens can be when you are different, but Stargirl remained true to herself. I would recommend this book to middle schoolers or high schoolers because of how much popularity runs their lives. I would have this book in my library available for students to take home or read in class. ( )
  Roxana_Guerra | Nov 5, 2021 |
Re-read: July 18, 2016
Wonderful, as expected.

Read: October 14, 2011
One of my favourite books ever. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
I honestly recommend this novel to young girls or mostly anyone that is struggling with embracing themselves and having fear being different from others. Stargirl is the new girl in Mica High School, and she is quite different from the other students. She stands out a lot in the crowd because they think she weird for a variety of reasons. Fitting in a new school environment is very difficult because we all want people to like us. But people don't see the unique person we are they just judge us constantly. After, months she decides to pretend as hard to be just like the others. Also, Leo wants her to be like the other girls because he is concerned about popularity and who talks to him. She feels peer pressure and changes her style and the way she acts. She was hoping that people will notice the change and it will have a huge impact in her popularity but that was not the case. Overall, the novel “Stargirl” is inspirational and has themes that teens are enduring. My favorite parts are when Sartgirl doesn't let people get to her by saying mean stuff just because she is different. And she is not embarrassed or even cares that she is different.
added by sonia.sr | editAmazon Customer Review, Stargirl

Jerry Spinelliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ritter, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,010,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible