Kill the Messenger by Tami Hoag

Kill the Messenger (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Tami Hoag

An LA bike messenger finds his employer dead and becomes the prime suspect on the run.
Member:RJD61
Title:Kill the Messenger
Authors:Tami Hoag
Info:Bantam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages

Kill the Messenger by Tami Hoag (2004)

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
I'm not sure I've ever read one of Tami Hoag's books before. This one was just excellent. Unexpected and unromantic. A good story, told well.
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
Jace Damon is a bicycle messenger who ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Jace is raising his younger brother Tyler after the death of their mother. They live over a fish store in Chinatown thanks to the grace of Madame Chen. Jace is working 2 jobs and going to school part time. When he gets a call to do one last delivery on a rainy night he can't turn "Eta" down. He picks up the package at a lawyer's office and heads off to the address given. The address is an empty lot and the only thing there is a large car waiting to run him down. He barely escapes with his life and when he opens the package, he sees that it contains negatives. He later finds out the lawyer who gave him the package has been murdered. He can't go to the police because he is afraid he will be locked up and Tyler will end up in foster care, never to be seen again. A thrilling story with lots of twists. Very enjoyable. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Another good thriller by Tami. Not gory or scary, just suspenseful! ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 21, 2017 |
When Los Angeles bike messenger Jace Damon tries to make his last drop of the day for sleazy attorney Lenny Lowell, he is chased, shot at, and barely escapes with the package - and his life. Lenny isn't quite as lucky; and Jace becomes a 'person of interest' to the police. Kev Parker, the detective of record, also wonders why the death of bottom feeder Lenny is of interest to LAPD's elite homicide squad.

These are interesting, well-developed characters, in life-or-death action; the story moves fast, the tension builds, and the characters become people that the reader cares about. Spotting the villian in this one isn't easy.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
A formulaic crime procedural, set in LA, brushing up against celebrities so if has a touch of noir. If you like this kind of thing, you'll enjoy this, even though it doesn't break any molds.

What I did really like about it was that it was a departure from earlier books by Hoag I've read. About 15 years ago, I started reading Tami Hoag regularly. I liked them, but... it seemed like the strong female lead always needed some kind of saving by the strong silent slightly-dangerous guy in the story. It was always my least favorite part of her books. There is none of that here, probably because the main characters are all men. Whatever the reason, it works. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |

Tami Hoagprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jester
My little pal who came to me
when I needed him most,
and left far too soon.
Always missed. Always loved.
R.I.P.
LA traffic.
Unknown if audiobook is abridged or unabridged

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,484,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible