Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial…

Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition) (original 1937; edition 2002)

by John Steinbeck (Author)

29,92154254 (3.9)1 / 1132
In depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.
Member:chauveaux
Title:Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition)
Authors:John Steinbeck (Author)
Info:Penguin (2002), Edition: Reprint, 112 pages

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (Author) (1937)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile, sturlington)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway (sturlington)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (7)
Read (53)

English (510)  Spanish (7)  French (6)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (539)
Geez! This is like watching an explosion in slow motion. It's a tragic event narrated so slow you can appreciate its beauty, even if the whole thing is destructive and lasts for an instant.

I have much to learn from Steinbeck and his ways. ( )
  andycyca | Aug 6, 2019 |
Of Mice and Men is one of those classics taught in so many English classes, and seems well-beloved by everyone I know. So please forgive me when I say… I just don’t see the appeal. The entertainment value of this novel is pretty low for me.

It’s been a long time since group discussion in my ninth grade English class, but even now, I can see the discussion potential of this novel. George and Lenny’s relationship, Lenny’s demeanor, the ending… it’s all ripe for a morality conversation. For such a short book, there’s a lot intended to pull the heartstrings. Lenny’s scene with the puppy, in particular, is powerful.

I believe a book can be powerful and profound without being entertaining. Perhaps Of Mice and Men’s academic use has cheapened it’s impact for me, but that’s never mattered before (Feed and The Secret Life of Bees were both high school reads, and I still love them). And while I enjoy classics, I wouldn’t call myself a classics snob, so if someone wants to jump in and debate this with me, you’re more than welcome. Is Of Mice and Men an interesting read that has affected generations of readers and filmgoers? Yes, of course! Steinbeck is considered a genius in himself. I’ve never read his other books, not even The Grapes of Wrath, but I know enough about literature to know that if I argued he was poor writer, I would lose. He’s clearly not, because his writing inspires these conversations. But I don’t enjoy him.

And that’s okay. I don’t have to love Steinbeck. You can love him and I will not judge you.

Stylistically, Of Mice and Men is simple. There are no flowery descriptions – most the book is told in conversation, making it ripe for translation as a stage play and movie. We know of Lenny’s fear and self-condemnation from an external monologue. We know about George’s frustration the same way. We’re left to infer the setting from comments the characters make.

It’s difficult to relate to the characters and become involved in the story that way. George, frankly, is an asshole. And Lenny is complicated. The reader’s investment comes entirely from the outside, “How could he do that?” – a question that could be asked of any number of characters. I think the subject matter pulls the reader in enough in that way to be successful, but there’s not that sort of warm excitement you get when you’re really rooting for a character. It’s all just a scene that plays out, you know?

Of Mice and Men is worth reading because it’s interesting, and the book is short. This particular audiobook version had some serious feedback in the recording, marking it as an older one, but it was well-read. Only a three-hour read and I was able to listen to the whole thing at work. Don’t get your hopes up for a life-changing story, but as far as classics go, this one is pretty low commitment. ( )
  Morteana | Jul 27, 2019 |
Read for the first time in 1997. ( )
  SandyDawn | Jul 14, 2019 |
A good read by John Steinbeck, enjoyed the relationship between Lennie and George, I'm not a fan of sad endings but this ending was really well done. ( )
  ryndean | Jun 11, 2019 |
As in "To kill a mockingbird", I don't like books written in a transcription of dialect or speech.I'd read this one in school, and now felt it was time to re-read it. Steinbeck manages very well to create suspense. I don't think Lenny serves well as an allegory of the weak falling victim to the powerful. He's too special for that, too peculiar.
  Kindlegohome | Jun 3, 2019 |

Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible