Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial…

Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition) (original 1937; edition 2002)

by John Steinbeck

26,78948838 (3.9)1 / 1030
Member:kkleckner
Title:Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition)
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Penguin (2002), Paperback, 112 pages

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (4)
Read (53)

English (460)  French (6)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (487)
What a depressing book. It's a good book, quite interesting with some fascinating characters and an impressive display of story-telling by Steinbeck, but the plot is absolutely depressing.

The two main characters are George and Lenny; George is a loyal (if sometimes annoyed and slightly abusive) friend to his massive, bumbling counterpart Lenny. As the story progresses, these characters prove to be complicated, but likable. I found myself really rooting for them to succeed, knowing due to the short length of the book that they wouldn't, and I was often frustrated with Lenny's missteps. The end isn't a terrible surprise, but the way it's told guarantees it won't be considered 'predictable'.

Because this book is well known as a classic, and because many classics require some fortitude to plow through the more mundane parts, I had put off reading this book for several years. Too often the action of the latest Sci-Fi or Fantasy novel (my favorite genres) enticed me away; but I'm glad I eventually got around to this book. It won't ever be considered one of my favorites, but I may venture back through these pages in a few more years to see if my take on this interesting story is affected as I get older. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
I must be one of the few people who didn't read this novella as part of their school curriculum. So I was coming at this with barely an inkling of what the book was about. Suffice to say it was an excellent read that seemed to draw me in and make me read faster as the ever looming tragic ending unfolded. Or maybe that was the wine I was drinking with it. Anyway, it turns out that the American dream is not for the disabled (Candy, Lennie), the carer (George) and the disenfranchised (Crooks). ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
Just rip my heart out next time Steinbeck. ( )
  bound2books | Feb 12, 2017 |
Gary Sinese beautifully reads this Steinbeck story about George and Lennie, migrant workers who go from farm to farm looking for work during the depression. Lennie is mentally disabled but a good worker and enormously strong. He is unaware of his own strength and loves petting soft things like bunnies and puppies which both lead to his demise. George, who is of sound mind, watches over Lennie to make sure he doesn't get into trouble. The two of them dream of saving enough money so they can buy a plot of land. George will tend the soil and Lennie will watch over the rabbits. Their dream seems to become almost a reality when they meet another farm hand who is willing to pitch in some money as long as they take him along. One evening George goes to town with most of the other work hands leaving Lennie to fend for himself back at the farm. Lennie finds himself alone with the flirtatious daughter in law of the farm boss who encourages him to touch her soft hair. When she asks him to stop, Lennie gets scared and breaks her neck in panic. Once his deed is discovered the farm mob is ready to lynch Lennie. George finds Lennie in a hiding spot and after he gently retells the story of how they are going to get their own land, George shoots Lennie knowing that someone else will do it if he doesn't. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Jan 31, 2017 |
I read this in high school ehnglish, then again this past summer. For some reason I enjoyed it so much more when it was read on my own accored rather then as a school assignment, I give it 5 stars today, God knows it probably would have been much less back in HS only because I was such an oppositional little brat back then. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
There's a simplicity, a directness, a poignancy in the story that gives it a singular power, difficult to define. Steinbeck is a genius and an original.

To Americans whose eyes are still smarting from the unhappy ending of the Wall Street fairy tale of 1929, John Steinbeck's little dream story will not seem out of line with reality; they may even overlook the fact that it too is a fairy tale. An oxymoronic combination of the tough & tender, Of Mice and Men will appeal to sentimental cynics, cynical sentimentalists.

John Steinbeck is no mere virtuoso in the art of story telling; but he is one. Whether he writes about the amiable outcasts of 'Tortilla Flat" or about the grim strikers of In "Dubious Battle," he tells a story.

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eggink, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, FletcherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,245,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible