Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial…

Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition) (original 1937; edition 2002)

by John Steinbeck

26,22548242 (3.9)1 / 976
Member:kkleckner
Title:Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition)
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Penguin (2002), Paperback, 112 pages

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (4)
Read (53)

English (454)  French (6)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (481)
A quick read. Splendid. ( )
  Tracy_Tomkowiak | Sep 14, 2016 |
Of Mice and Men was a breeze to read through. I ended up liking it, although I can't remember any other book that made me cry as much at the end! There could have been several alternative endings that would have been a lot better, but you know, Steinbeck chose that ending knowing it was going to make the reader emotional and dissatisfied, so he must have understood what he was doing. The ending surprised me, that's for sure. I never saw it coming. But all in all, it was a great book, and I'd really like to get a copy so I can read it again some time. (The copy I read was borrowed from a family member.) ( )
  SDaisy | Sep 13, 2016 |
John Steinbeck can do in a hundred pages what a few authors might be able to do in a book three times that length.

... nah. I'm not really into comparisons, or even rating books out of five, but this book is a perfect example of pure craftsmanship. Steinbeck's words are beautiful and rhythmic, and they have a real signature to them.

It's simple, but it's not plain. It's sparse without being empty. There isn't a word out of place, and it is exactly as long as it needs to be. He takes a lot of the themes of American authors - the Great American dream - and makes it something fragile and tangible all at once.

He takes genuine real human emotions like hope and love and loss and pieces them together in a way that makes me not feel alone as a reader. It doesn't matter who his characters are, or what quirks they have, because at their core they have this humanity that surpasses everything else.

Of Mice and Men resolved itself in the two or three final sentences, in my edition. It was vivid. It was beautiful. It made me cry. It still makes me cry to think of it now. I don't really remember the character's names, but I remember how they made me feel.

I bought a lot of his books after finding this book (although I'd read Cannery Row before) and it's probably a great place to start if you're unsure about Steinbeck, because you'll know if you want to read him by the end of this book. ( )
1 vote lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Knjigu koja nema ni 100 strana sam čitala čitav tjedan. Knjiga je odlična ali ja jednostavno nisam odjednom mogla podnijeti toliko tuge, jada i čemera.
Središnji likovi su prijatelji George i Lennie koji u periodu velike krize putuju od farme do farme zarađujući za goli život sanjajući da jednom posjeduju vlastitu malu farmu. George je mozak njihova prijateljstva dok je Lennie mentalno dijete u izrazito jakom tijelu.
I svi likovi u knjizi sanjaju svoj san. Nekom je to mala farma, nekom Hollywood... Knjiga je puna snova i osamljenosti. Meni se dopada Steinbeck-ov stil pisanja. Jednostavan je ali izuzetno upečatljiv poput svojih likova, te je uspio u meni pobuditi ogromnu količinu empatije. Ovo mi je bila emotivno izuzetno teška knjiga. ( )
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |
To Americans whose eyes are still smarting from the unhappy ending of the Wall Street fairy tale of 1929, John Steinbeck's little dream story will not seem out of line with reality; they may even overlook the fact that it too is a fairy tale. An oxymoronic combination of the tough & tender, Of Mice and Men will appeal to sentimental cynics, cynical sentimentalists.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Mar 1, 1937)

John Steinbeck is no mere virtuoso in the art of story telling; but he is one. Whether he writes about the amiable outcasts of 'Tortilla Flat" or about the grim strikers of In "Dubious Battle," he tells a story.

There's a simplicity, a directness, a poignancy in the story that gives it a singular power, difficult to define. Steinbeck is a genius and an original.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 1936)

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggink, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, FletcherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,125,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible