Nurse Matilda: The Collected Tales by…

Nurse Matilda: The Collected Tales (edition 2005)

by Christianna Brand

Member:Cath.Blaauwendraad
Title:Nurse Matilda: The Collected Tales
Authors:Christianna Brand
Info:Bloomsbury Children's Books (2005), Edition: First Edition (first american), Hardcover, 382 pages

Nanny McPhee: Based on the Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda by Christianna Brand

English (11)  German (1)  All languages (12)
It was tough. Too many baby words. Words that were not words and my 7 year old had to read them and explain it to me! Overall... she liked it so I guess it was a good book! ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
While this book seems like the perfect family read-aloud choice, we found it dragged a little. The premise is, perhaps a little dated. Modern kids don't generally excuse parents who have no clue what is going on in their own family, and fighting with servants isn't really within their experience. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |

This is three books in one: "Nurse Matilda", "Nurse Matilda Goes to Town", & "Nurse Matilda Goes to the Hospital" from which the Nanny McPhee movies were based upon.

Utterly delightful and full of humor..... When your children are naughty and out of control...no other Nanny or Nurse will care for them... You call upon Nurse Matilda.... Ugly as an Ogre and Sly as a Fox..... with a thump of her magical stick, children learn not only the words: "Please" & "Thank-you"; they learn to get out of bed on time; eat in a civilized manner; behave properly; do their studies with quiet intent; & to eat with proper table manners....

With each lesson learned, Nurse Matilda, miraculously looks less & less of an Ogre! ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I bought the book after watching the movie and I just love the stories. I think that I prefer it to Mary Poppins. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 17, 2015 |
I think it's best to stop after the first story in this series, mostly because the magical nanny who is supposed to be able to get kids to no longer be naughty doesn't seem able to make it stick. Books 2 and 3 have Nurse Matilda returning to the same family because they seem to forget how to not be horrible children. Eh. The latter two books are also essentially copies of the first story. The same progression of events, the same lessons, the same caricatures. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |

Christianna Brandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ardizzone, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The incorrigible Brown children, who devour nannies, nurse-maids, and governesses, finally meet their match.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,827,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible