Airman by Eoin Colfer

Airman (2008)

by Eoin Colfer

1,140None7,146 (4.09)57

English (48)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
I listened to this as an audio book and enjoyed the narrator. This is classified as a kids book and I guess it is... But I like kids book like this especially in audio as the excitement and adventure packed into them remind me of what helped build my love for reading as a youngster.
As an adult some unfolding events are predictable, but the way they play out is quite enjoyable.
Young Connor is brave and smart which ends up getting him into trouble. He lands in a slave prison and spends 2 years planning his escape and return to his family and position. His love of flying, (beginning with his birth in a hydrogen balloon) helps him on his way.
I really liked the story and you can't help but root for Connor and his friends ( )
  jldarden | Oct 24, 2013 |
Conor Broekhart has grown up as the best friend of the princess of the Saltee kingdom (an imaginary kingdom off of Ireland). But when he discovers a conspiracy to kill the king, the real traitor captures him and sends him to a prison camp to mine diamonds in obscurity. Conor must use his genius for flight to escape the prison and rescue the princess. Conor is much like a 19th century steampunk Artemis Fowl. Colfer delivers his usual book - fun, delightful, and humorous. Definitely a treat for fans of non-dystopia non-paranormal-romance YA. (YAY! for something different!) I'd say this book is appropriate for 5th - 8th graders. ( )
  The_Hibernator | May 13, 2013 |
Eoin Colfer delivers again in his most mature and dark book todate. Still packed with his trademark action and adventure but with lots of charm. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
August 27, 2010
Fabulous the second time around, too! :)

November 9, 2008
If I could give it 42 stars, I would.

Ahhhhh!!!! It was SOOO SOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!! Seriously... listening to it in the car probably wasn't safe, as periodically, I would slam the steering wheel in frustration or anticipation and yell, "HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!!" It was SOOOOOOO EXCITING!!! I loved it. (And of course I did.... it is "recommended to listeners ages 12 to 17... durrrrr...)

It ended so well! *giggly-happy sigh* :)

Okay, so I suppose you want to know what it's about, eh? Well, it's about this kid, Donor Broekhart (Irish), who is 15 (after the prologue, which tells about how he was born in a hot-air balloon), who dreams of flying. He lives on a little island called Great Saltee. His father, mother, and he are close friends with the King and his daughter, Isabella. (Side note: I'm surprised to say, hearing her name NEVER reminded me of Bella (of Twilight)! Shocking!) He kinda becomes a sidekick of the royal scientist.

I don't want to get into too much detail, but I'll write what's on the back of the CD:

"Conor spends his days studying the science of flight with his tutor and exploring the castle with the king's daughter, Princess Isabella [who routinely threatens to have him hanged... :)]. But the boy's idyllic life changes forever the day he discovers a deadly conspiracy against the king. When Conor tries to intervene, he is branded a traitor and thrown into jail on the prison island of Little Saltee. There, he has to fight for his life, as he and the other prisoners are forced to mind for diamonds in inhumane conditions. / There is only one way to escape Little Saltee, and that is to fly...."

There's more, but holy spoilers, Batman! That was bad enough!

It was fascinating and I loved it. ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
I picked this book up quite a while ago, but never got around to reading it until I decided to give it away. I'm not sure why I never read it, because everything about this seems like it would be to my taste. I really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl series, and laugh like a loon whenever I read them, so I had a pretty good idea that I would like his other books, but still I put this off.

Well I'm glad that I decided to give it away, because it gave me an excuse to read this sooner than later, and I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed it.

This was nothing like the AF series. There's not really any fantasy here, or magic or ridiculous jokes or gutter-humor or any of the stuff that I loved about the AF series, but I enjoyed this as much for the lack of those things as I loved AF for them. This book definitely has a more serious, somber tone, and in many ways it reminded me of one of the greats, The Count of Monte Cristo. That is a huge compliment coming from me, because COMC is without a doubt one of the greatest books about betrayal and revenge ever written, and I adored all 1300 pages of it. This is not a YA reproduction of The Count of Monte Cristo, however. The storyline here veers off in its own direction, and follows its own trail, but the tone, and some of the details just brought the classic to mind.

I glanced at a few reviews of this book and see that a common complaint was the darkness and bleak feeling of the story, the hopelessness. I don't agree that that's how the story was portrayed. Yes, overall it was far from light and happy, but again the story warranted a darker and hopeless feeling. I thought the somber tone was appropriate for this story, considering all that poor Conor endured, and all that he lost: his freedom, his family, his love, his country, his honor. These are not happy events. Even so, Colfer did a great job at weaving some threads of lightness and humor into the story to break up the solemnity of the main story. It was done in a very subtle manner, not at all overstated and blatant like the humor in the Artemis Fowl series, but it had me giggling all the same. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the tone fit the story for me, and anything much lighter would have been out of place.

Moving on to the characters, I have to say that I really liked all of them. I would have liked a little bit more depth, especially in Conor. As much as I liked him, and I really did, his only real flaw was in his despair and willingness to move on and start over without even trying to bring out the truth and set things to rights. I know that he'd been through a torturous 3 years, but considering that he was so determined in everything else, you'd think that his determination, and the anger at his mistreatment would spark a vengeance in him. He was just a little too perfect, a little too noble and charitable.

I really liked Declan, Conor's father, and felt for his loss. He was grieving and feeling guilty and angry and lost himself. Even though I empathized with him, I still would have liked a bit more personal grief and anger from him. It was told, not felt. It served the purpose, but I would have just liked a bit more.

The Marshall was decidedly villainous and evil, and even though I immensely disliked him, I could not help but laugh at some of his wittier comments and thoughts. He's so unabashedly bad that he becomes a bit funny, but not funny to the point at which he's no longer awful, but just funny as in "Wow, I can't believe people are really THAT horrible!"

I really liked the scientific and engineering historical references in this story. It lent the book a feeling of realism and groundedness that it would have been lacking otherwise. I would still classify it as an adventure story, but with these details, it has a more real historical feel.

I must admit that I was so engrossed in the story that I was surprised to find that 3/4 of it had passed in build-up, and that the resolution was yet to be hinted at. You'd think that the end would feel rushed in this kind of a situation, but I didn't feel that way after everything was said and done. The resolution, while very different than what I thought would occur, fit the story very well, and left the reader an opening to extend the ending as they choose.

Overall, I really liked this one, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for something enjoyable and interesting to read. ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keating, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Declan Dempsey
Conor Broekhart was born to fly, or more accurately he was born flying.

One dark night on the island of Great Saltee, fourteen-year-old Conor is framed for a terrible crime he didn't commit. Thrown into prison by the dastardly Hugo Bonvilain, Conor is trapped in a sea swept dungeon and branded a traitor. He must escape and clear his name; he wants his old life back - his family, his friends...and his princess. Conor knows there is only one way out. It's an impossible task, which has never been done before. But Conor is determined to do it. He'll have to fly. Swashbuckling new fiction from the amazing Eoin Colfer, ideal for readers aged 11+.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:12 -0400)

In the late nineteenth century, when Conor Broekhart discovers a conspiracy to overthrow the king, he is branded a traitor, imprisoned, and forced to mine for diamonds under brutal conditions while he plans a daring escape from Little Saltee prison by way of a flying machine that he must design, build, and, hardest of all, trust to carry him to safety.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible