Airman by Eoin Colfer

Airman (2008)

by Eoin Colfer

1,192496,725 (4.07)58
Recently added bymlomba2, etborg, MalloryMann, kidsread, haydninvienna, private library, davidakachaos, maria_eads

English (46)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (48)
I listened to this as an audio book and enjoyed the narrator. This is classified as a kids book and I guess it is... But I like kids book like this especially in audio as the excitement and adventure packed into them remind me of what helped build my love for reading as a youngster.
As an adult some unfolding events are predictable, but the way they play out is quite enjoyable.
Young Connor is brave and smart which ends up getting him into trouble. He lands in a slave prison and spends 2 years planning his escape and return to his family and position. His love of flying, (beginning with his birth in a hydrogen balloon) helps him on his way.
I really liked the story and you can't help but root for Connor and his friends ( )
  jldarden | Oct 24, 2013 |
Conor Broekhart has grown up as the best friend of the princess of the Saltee kingdom (an imaginary kingdom off of Ireland). But when he discovers a conspiracy to kill the king, the real traitor captures him and sends him to a prison camp to mine diamonds in obscurity. Conor must use his genius for flight to escape the prison and rescue the princess. Conor is much like a 19th century steampunk Artemis Fowl. Colfer delivers his usual book - fun, delightful, and humorous. Definitely a treat for fans of non-dystopia non-paranormal-romance YA. (YAY! for something different!) I'd say this book is appropriate for 5th - 8th graders. ( )
  The_Hibernator | May 13, 2013 |
Eoin Colfer delivers again in his most mature and dark book todate. Still packed with his trademark action and adventure but with lots of charm. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
I picked this book up quite a while ago, but never got around to reading it until I decided to give it away. I'm not sure why I never read it, because everything about this seems like it would be to my taste. I really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl series, and laugh like a loon whenever I read them, so I had a pretty good idea that I would like his other books, but still I put this off.

Well I'm glad that I decided to give it away, because it gave me an excuse to read this sooner than later, and I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed it.

This was nothing like the AF series. There's not really any fantasy here, or magic or ridiculous jokes or gutter-humor or any of the stuff that I loved about the AF series, but I enjoyed this as much for the lack of those things as I loved AF for them. This book definitely has a more serious, somber tone, and in many ways it reminded me of one of the greats, The Count of Monte Cristo. That is a huge compliment coming from me, because COMC is without a doubt one of the greatest books about betrayal and revenge ever written, and I adored all 1300 pages of it. This is not a YA reproduction of The Count of Monte Cristo, however. The storyline here veers off in its own direction, and follows its own trail, but the tone, and some of the details just brought the classic to mind.

I glanced at a few reviews of this book and see that a common complaint was the darkness and bleak feeling of the story, the hopelessness. I don't agree that that's how the story was portrayed. Yes, overall it was far from light and happy, but again the story warranted a darker and hopeless feeling. I thought the somber tone was appropriate for this story, considering all that poor Conor endured, and all that he lost: his freedom, his family, his love, his country, his honor. These are not happy events. Even so, Colfer did a great job at weaving some threads of lightness and humor into the story to break up the solemnity of the main story. It was done in a very subtle manner, not at all overstated and blatant like the humor in the Artemis Fowl series, but it had me giggling all the same. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the tone fit the story for me, and anything much lighter would have been out of place.

Moving on to the characters, I have to say that I really liked all of them. I would have liked a little bit more depth, especially in Conor. As much as I liked him, and I really did, his only real flaw was in his despair and willingness to move on and start over without even trying to bring out the truth and set things to rights. I know that he'd been through a torturous 3 years, but considering that he was so determined in everything else, you'd think that his determination, and the anger at his mistreatment would spark a vengeance in him. He was just a little too perfect, a little too noble and charitable.

I really liked Declan, Conor's father, and felt for his loss. He was grieving and feeling guilty and angry and lost himself. Even though I empathized with him, I still would have liked a bit more personal grief and anger from him. It was told, not felt. It served the purpose, but I would have just liked a bit more.

The Marshall was decidedly villainous and evil, and even though I immensely disliked him, I could not help but laugh at some of his wittier comments and thoughts. He's so unabashedly bad that he becomes a bit funny, but not funny to the point at which he's no longer awful, but just funny as in "Wow, I can't believe people are really THAT horrible!"

I really liked the scientific and engineering historical references in this story. It lent the book a feeling of realism and groundedness that it would have been lacking otherwise. I would still classify it as an adventure story, but with these details, it has a more real historical feel.

I must admit that I was so engrossed in the story that I was surprised to find that 3/4 of it had passed in build-up, and that the resolution was yet to be hinted at. You'd think that the end would feel rushed in this kind of a situation, but I didn't feel that way after everything was said and done. The resolution, while very different than what I thought would occur, fit the story very well, and left the reader an opening to extend the ending as they choose.

Overall, I really liked this one, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for something enjoyable and interesting to read. ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |
Airman, by Eoin Colfer, blends together an interesting mix of time periods. The story is set in the beginning of the industrial era, yet there are still kings and castles. There is also a hint of steampunk in the mix, because of the flying machines. I enjoyed this book for the very reason of that blend. I enjoy steampunk and medieval stories, and I am glad to see them so artfully combined. The action of the story was well thought out and made the book hard to put down. I was very satisfied with the storyline and characters especially, because of the depth of their personalities and emotions.
Parts of the story are to be similar to the movie, “The Rocketeer.” Both men are in trouble, and both have certain flying contraptions to help them escape.Even the villains are similar in character. They are ruthless killers, traitors, and spies, intent on gaining their organization’s power. The plots do, however, differ in some aspects. The rocketeer has a rocket that he found, while the Airman has a flying machine, with wings, that he designed and built. In Airman, the traitor is a knight who wanted more power, and in “The Rocketeer”, the villain is a Nazi spy who wanted a rockets for Hitler’s troops.
Airman is the life story of a young boy named Conor Broekhart, who is framed for the murder of his beloved king, and sent to prison. Prison on the island of Little Saltee, is a dark, joyless place where criminals mine for diamond and are routinely beaten by a group called the Battering Rams. Conor, however, comes to an agreement with the lead Ram. If he returns, he will have to avenge the king’s murder, without getting caught, but if he stays, he will surely die. Thus is young Conor Broekhart’s choice.
  br13olfr | Jan 31, 2013 |

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keating, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Declan Dempsey
Conor Broekhart was born to fly, or more accurately he was born flying.

One dark night on the island of Great Saltee, fourteen-year-old Conor is framed for a terrible crime he didn't commit. Thrown into prison by the dastardly Hugo Bonvilain, Conor is trapped in a sea swept dungeon and branded a traitor. He must escape and clear his name; he wants his old life back - his family, his friends...and his princess. Conor knows there is only one way out. It's an impossible task, which has never been done before. But Conor is determined to do it. He'll have to fly. Swashbuckling new fiction from the amazing Eoin Colfer, ideal for readers aged 11+.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:12 -0400)

In the late nineteenth century, when Conor Broekhart discovers a conspiracy to overthrow the king, he is branded a traitor, imprisoned, and forced to mine for diamonds under brutal conditions while he plans a daring escape from Little Saltee prison by way of a flying machine that he must design, build, and, hardest of all, trust to carry him to safety.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,255,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible