Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey

Crystal Singer (original 1982; edition 1985)

by Anne McCaffrey

Her name was Killashandra Ree; and after ten grueling years of musical training she was young, beautiful and without prospects. Then she heard of the mysterious Heptite Guild on the planet Ballybran, where the fabled Black Crystal was found. For those quailified, the Guild was said to provide careers, security, and the chance for wealth beyond imagining.… (more)
Member:marphod
Title:Crystal Singer
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Del Rey (1985), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Novel, Science Fiction, Library

Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey (1982)

Crystal Line by Anne McCaffrey (Cymro17)
    Cymro17: An enjoyable read, all the books in this series.
    Killashandra by Anne McCaffrey (Cymro17)
    Cymro17: A good read as are the other books in the series.
    A Thousand Words for Stranger by Julie E. Czerneda (Konran)

Coming of age story against a science fiction backdrop. Fascinating tapestry in character and world building. ( )
  SirCrash | Jan 13, 2020 |
Her name was Killashandra Ree; and after ten grueling years of musical training she was young, beautiful—and still without prospects.

For those qualified, the Guild was said to provide careers, security, and the chance for wealth beyond imagining. The problem was, few people who landed on Ballybran ever left. ( )
  Gmomaj | Nov 1, 2019 |
Anne McCaffrey is the first author that I chose to read for myself and I have been a lifelong fan since. The Crystal Singer showcases her truly original world-building, and excellent character development. Anne created a richly complex character: brave, impetuous, brilliant and flawed. Though it was the dragons that first attracted me to her writing, it was Killashandra and Helva and Rowan that kept me coming back for every series she wrote. Killashandra has a gift for "singing" crystal. Tuning crystal for use in interstellar communication and other advanced technologies is straightforward enough - mining the crystal is a dangerous and addictive job that has killed more than one singer. They can all too easily become enraptured while singing the crystal - in particular the exceptionally rare Black Crystal. Worse still, over time they lose their memories. Even of those they love...

A brilliant novel with an equally brilliant sequel. I think I may need to get lost in this world again. ( )
  jshillingford | Oct 23, 2019 |
I don't understand why a computer couldn't match the pitches rather than requiring people with perfect pitch, and the whole operation doesn't seem very efficient, but it's an entertaining read anyway. ( )
  haloedrain | Aug 3, 2019 |
This was a reread for me, and I am fairly certain the last time I read this book was at least fifteen years ago. All things considered it holds up pretty well, but it is definitely science fiction from the late 70s/early 80s. ( )
1 vote shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
Anne Mc Caffrey nous emmène avec talent dans un nouvel univers futuriste, passionnant et coloré. Son héroïne, fière et égoïste, est pourtant singulièrement attachante. Nous découvrons avec elle la mystérieuse Ballybranet la non moins mystérieuse Ligue Heptite, et vibrons à l'unisson de ses aventures. Sans conteste mon cycle préféré de cet auteur après "La Ballade de Pern" !

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Viner, MichaelExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weeks, KimProduction coordinatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kate and Alec and their children
Killashandra listened, the words like cold bombs dropping with leaden fatality into her frozen belly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,493,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible