The New York Trilogy

by Paul Auster

Series: The New York Trilogy (omnibus)

The New York Trilogy is perhaps the most astonishing work by one of America's most consistently astonishing writers. The Trilogy is three cleverly interconnected novels that exploit the elements of standard detective fiction and achieve a new genre that is all the more gripping for its starkness. It is a riveting work of detective fiction worthy of Raymond Chandler, and at the same time a profound and unsettling existentialist enquiry in the tradition of Kafka or Borges. In each story the search for clues leads to remarkable coincidences in the universe as the simple act of trailing a man ultimately becomes a startling investigation of what it means to be human. The New York Trilogy is the modern novel at its finest: a truly bold and arresting work of fiction with something to transfix and astound every reader. 'Marks a new departure for the American novel.' Observer 'A shatteringly clever piece of work . . . Utterly gripping, written with an acid sharpness that leaves an indelible dent in the back of the mind.' Sunday Telegraph 'The New York Trilogy established him as the only author one could compare to Samuel Beckett.' Guardian… (more)
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (alzo)
    The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster (caflores)
    Invisible by Paul Auster (ccf)
    Enormous Changes at the Last Minute: Stories by Grace Paley (claudiamesc)
    claudiamesc: E' stato anche tradotto in italiano: freschi, diretti, energici racconti ambientati a New York... per chi non si è entusiasmato con Auster, ma vuole farsi altri due passi in città.
    The City & The City by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Two books that expand the scope of detective fiction beyond the genre's traditional concerns and constraints, one existentially and one sociopolitically.

English (114)  Spanish (11)  Italian (7)  Dutch (4)  French (4)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (147)
I completely enjoyed reading this trilogy but I don't have anything sophisticated to say about it, mainly because I liked the parts that felt more like standard mysteries than the metatextual parts commenting on the nature of fiction and reality. Auster has a real way with words but as soon as he started introducing Paul Auster into the story or name-dropped a character from a previous story into another one, my brain--primed from the fact that this was a mystery book--began trying to figure out how the fuck that worked. Certainly that was the point. But also, what the fuck was going on? My favorite story was the last one (because it was longer and therefore lived longer in a more traditional mystery style) but I enjoyed all the references to the Tower of Babel in the first one, even if I didn't quite understand how it came together in the end. Who was bringing Quinn food in the end? Who was Paul Auster's friend that got so pissed at him for not caring more about Quinn? Was there actually another Paul Auster that did detective work or was all that a ruse? Or a gimmick to bring attention to the idea that all of fiction is just the whim of some lone guy tip-typing away and he can write anything or say anything and we have to accept it or not. Anyway, I liked the last story better, although like a lot of male characters written by Great Authors, the main guy really came across like a fuckboy. I'm so sorry that your existential crisis plummeted you into a month of drunkenly banging hookers in Paris. That must have been really tough. Way harder than being a lonely mother who had just been abandoned by her second husband after her first one disappeared during her pregnancy. Poor, poor baby. Still, I honestly did like this book a lot. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
I read the first two stories up to now. I enjoyed the first one better. Maybe because it’s surrealism seemed fresh, but by the time it finished the second story it felt a bit stale. I seldom don’t finish a book, but I just don’t feel the energy right now to tackle the third story.
Other bookalcoholics in this site will certainly understand my conundrum, but now I wonder, should I move this book to the “read” files, or leave it at the “currently-reading”? Should I just abandon it as it is, or force myself to read the last 80 pages or so?
The neurotic bookreader in me freezes faced with such decisions and does nothing. So the book sits here for now…
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
There's something about some higher-brow literary stuff that I find kind of stultifying, but at the same time there's something about these stories that I can't quite shake - deeply troubling in a good way. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
Paul Auster’s signature work, The New York Trilogy, consists of three interlocking novels: City of Glass, Ghosts, and The Locked Room—haunting and mysterious tales that move at the breathless pace of a thriller.
  Centre_A | Nov 27, 2020 |
As one of the characters says: "'It is a good story, even if I do not understand it.'" ( )
  oatleyr | Aug 22, 2020 |
Una llamada telefónica equivocada introduce a un escritor de novelas policiacas en una extraña historia de complejas relaciones paternofiliales y locura; un detective sigue a un hombre por un claustrofóbico universo urbano; la misteriosa desaparición de un amigo de la infancia confronta a un hombre con sus recuerdos. Tres novelas que proponen una relectura posmoderna del género policiaco y que supusieron la revelación de uno de los más interesantes novelistas de nuestro tiempo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Sante, LucIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sellent Arús, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spiegelman, ArtCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.
"For our words no longer correspond to the world. When things were whole, we felt confident that our words could express them. But little by little these things have broken apart, shattered, collapsed into chaos. And yet our words have remained the same. They have not adapted themselves to the new reality. Hence, every time we try to speak of what we see, we speak falsely, distorting the very thing we are trying to represent."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,560,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible