dismiss

The New York Trilogy

by Paul Auster

Series: The New York Trilogy (omnibus)

The New York Trilogy is perhaps the most astonishing work by one of America's most consistently astonishing writers. The Trilogy is three cleverly interconnected novels that exploit the elements of standard detective fiction and achieve a new genre that is all the more gripping for its starkness. It is a riveting work of detective fiction worthy of Raymond Chandler, and at the same time a profound and unsettling existentialist enquiry in the tradition of Kafka or Borges. In each story the search for clues leads to remarkable coincidences in the universe as the simple act of trailing a man ultimately becomes a startling investigation of what it means to be human. The New York Trilogy is the modern novel at its finest: a truly bold and arresting work of fiction with something to transfix and astound every reader. 'Marks a new departure for the American novel.' Observer 'A shatteringly clever piece of work . . . Utterly gripping, written with an acid sharpness that leaves an indelible dent in the back of the mind.' Sunday Telegraph 'The New York Trilogy established him as the only author one could compare to Samuel Beckett.' Guardian… (more)
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (alzo)
    The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster (caflores)
    Invisible by Paul Auster (ccf)
    Enormous Changes at the Last Minute: Stories by Grace Paley (claudiamesc)
    claudiamesc: E' stato anche tradotto in italiano: freschi, diretti, energici racconti ambientati a New York... per chi non si è entusiasmato con Auster, ma vuole farsi altri due passi in città.
    The City & The City by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Two books that expand the scope of detective fiction beyond the genre's traditional concerns and constraints, one existentially and one sociopolitically.

English (110)  Spanish (10)  Italian (7)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (140)
Due to the comment of Joakim, below, I will, at the risk of boring those who already know, note yet again that I am removing my books from goodreads because it is Amazon now. This is the reason (and only reason)for the existence of my blog and nobody, incidentally, in the entire history of blog promoting could have done less to 'promote' theirs. I like writing. If somebody out there wants to read the end result, by all mean do.

I was standing in a bookshop today thinking I hate book reviews. I mean, really. Hate.

'Written with an acid sharpness' Sunday Telegraph

So, please let me give you an example of the dazzling metaphysical sharpness of this new departure for the American novel:

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
What a sense of uncertainty it leaves with me...All in all, it feels as if no one is able to make choices consciously, since in all the stories the choices made by the protagonists (so full of themselves at the beginning, so lost in their destinies at the end) seem as if there is someone else out there who writes our future, so that we don't have any impact on it whatsoever... ( )
  MissYowlYY | Jun 12, 2020 |
"Writing is a solitary business, it takes over your life. In some sense, a writer has no life of his own. Even when he's there, he's not really there."

As the title suggests this book is a collection of three novellas that initially appear to be classic detective stories where identities merge and asks the reader to read between the lines. However, the book is more complicated than that. Each novella deals with a person's identity or more accurately lack of it and loneliness. Each novella deals with a protagonist searching for a closure but often only at the cost of their sanity.

In the first City of Glass, a lonely author of detective novels decides to masquerade as a private eye for a strange couple which results in him tailing a crazy man, obsessed with naming things.

In the second Ghosts, the shortest, the plot involves a private eye tailing a recluse living in an apartment across the road from his own for a shady client over a long period of time. Unlike the other two novellas this one offers some sort of a closure at the end however, I struggled to see how this see tied in with other two. Equally I found it hard to imagine that any detective would stay on the tail of a recluse for years, forsaking the woman he intended to marry and making his own life miserable in process, no matter how much he was being paid.

The final novella The Locked room, takes over from where City of Glass left off and like the former deals with a writer whose goal is to hide his own identity behind someone else, on this occasion another writer, even going as far as marrying the other's wife and adopting his child. Whilst the meeting of the two writers at the end gives the tale a certain amount of sense to what has gone before it certainly doesn't answer all the questions that the reader might have. Or at least it didn't for me.

No doubt each reader will see something different in this book but as I said at the beginning of this review for me these novellas are about identity or at least one's own sense of it but as each feature writers they also look at the art of writing itself, in particular how a writer must look inward at themselves for inspiration and ideas, similarly how many use a pseudonym to hide own identities behind that of their creations' identity as the quote right at the top suggests.

In summary, whilst I appreciate that this is an experimental piece of writing I cannot help but think that Auster wrote this more for his own benefit rather than the reader's. Personally I found this just too hard going and a little weird to really enjoy, I just had to concentrate too hard throughout. I can see why this is on the 1001 list and I can imagine that it will be a Marmite novel but personally it is not one that I am likely to revisit or recommend. ( )
1 vote PilgrimJess | Apr 21, 2020 |
Una llamada telefónica equivocada introduce a un escritor de novelas policiacas en una extraña historia de complejas relaciones paternofiliales y locura; un detective sigue a un hombre por un claustrofóbico universo urbano; la misteriosa desaparición de un amigo de la infancia confronta a un hombre con sus recuerdos. Tres novelas que proponen una relectura posmoderna del género policiaco y que supusieron la revelación de uno de los más interesantes novelistas de nuestro tiempo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Sante, LucIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sellent Arús, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spiegelman, ArtCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.
"For our words no longer correspond to the world. When things were whole, we felt confident that our words could express them. But little by little these things have broken apart, shattered, collapsed into chaos. And yet our words have remained the same. They have not adapted themselves to the new reality. Hence, every time we try to speak of what we see, we speak falsely, distorting the very thing we are trying to represent."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,901,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible