Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Fighting Ground 25th Anniversary Edition…

The Fighting Ground 25th Anniversary Edition (original 1984; edition 1987)

by Avi

Member:cataloga
Title:The Fighting Ground 25th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Avi
Info:HarperCollins (1987), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:children's book, fiction, history, Revolutionary War

The Fighting Ground by Avi (1984)

Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 20, 2019 |
I liked this book. One reason I liked this book was because of the plot. A young boy, Jonathan, decided to go against his fathers order and signed up to be in the Revolutionary War. He had always dreamed of holding a gun and fighting for what was right. As he is captured by the Hessians, Jonathan found a young boy whose parents were killed. Jonathan breaks away and finds The Corporal. The Corporal asks Jonathan to help him kill the Hessians, but Jonathan does not want to kill anyone. He realizes at this point he just wants to go home. The Hessians capture him once again, but the minutemen assist Jonathan and release him. Jonathan finally returns home to his family. The plot is very suspenseful. Young readers can connect to the feelings and actions that are happening to young Jonathan and can put themselves in his shoes. Another reason why I really liked this book was because the book pushes its readers to think more about the message. The author did not want to explain Jonathan's journey in the Revolutionary War, they wanted readers to dig deeper and realize there was a stronger meaning within this book. Jonathan was having an internal conflict when realizing what a soldier's job entailed. He was not ready for this type of responsibility just yet. ( )
  kelseyjenkens | Apr 18, 2016 |
This exciting story takes place in only 24 hours. A young boy, Jonathan, dreams of fighting in the Revolutionary War. He imagines himself being brave and heroic, like his older brother. When Jonathan runs to the tavern to find out the latest news, he gets the chance he's been dreaming about. Soon, he learns that war isn't what he thought it would be. Through a series of twists and turns, Jonathan comes to think about himself, soldiers, and the war in a new way. I found this book to be a fascinating read. It contains true historical places and events. I recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction. You'll be sure to pick up on new details and connections each time you re-read this story. ( )
  ejstev0202 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Avi's books have such a starkness to the words, but not because they're boring. On the contrary, his stories fling themselves off the page and into the readers mind. His ability to craft sentences that move make his books perfect for older elementary students that find history boring. From the "True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" to this book, his unlikely teenage heroes speak to the heart of every modern teen yearning for romance and adventure.
  ekbrumley | Apr 30, 2014 |
I remember reading this in 5th grade. What I most remember is our discussion of the word ambush, which was used in the book. So I can thank this book for teaching me the definition of the ever most useful word "ambush." ( )
  IAmChrysanthemum | Jun 8, 2013 |

April 3, 1778

He may be just thirteen, but Jonathan knows he's ready to go to the war against the British. He can handle a gun. He yearns to battle for glory, just like his brother and cousin.

So when Jonathan hears the tavern bell toll, calling men to fight, he runs to join them. He doesn't realize that in just twenty-four hours, his life will be forever altered -- by the war, by his fellow soldiers, and by the terrible choices he must make.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:26 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Jonathan goes off to fight in the Revolutionary War and discovers the real war is being fought within himself.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible