The Hundred Years War by Robin Neillands

The Hundred Years War (1990)

by Robin Neillands

Originally published in 1981 and now re-issued with a new Preface, this book contains contributions on key issues such as the origins of the First World War, the psychological impact of that war on the Germans, the enigmatic personality of Walter Rathenau, anti-semitism and paramilitarism, as well as German Ostpolitik during the Weimar period. The collapse of the Weimar Republic is re-examined and this is followed by an analysis of the social basis of the SS leadership corps, German reactions to the defeat in 1945 as observed by the British authorities and finally a wide-ranging comparatiste essay on why Germany did not experience a 20th century revolution in spite of the tremendous upheavals it suffered.… (more)

An excellent book throughout. Mr Neillands gives an accurate, unbiased and fittingly detailed account of the war (or series of wars) that is both informative and entertaining. He stays away from the tedious aspects of the war that other authors find themselves muddled in while giving a clear picture of the events. Not on the level of a Jonathan Sumption piece, but altogether one of the best books I've read on the overall conflict. He balances the geo-political facets with the ever popular battle accounts very well, leaving neither subject neglected. I would recomend this book to any novice student on the subject to the mid-range enthusiast. ( )
  Poleaxe | May 28, 2009 |
After reading Crichton's Timeline I conducted some research and happened on this book to further my knowledge of that period. It got the job done and enjoyed it very much. ( )
  nhoule | Aug 14, 2007 |
This book is for my daughters Alexandra and Claire, and for Marc and Richard Tronson.
PROLOGUE
For nearly twenty years my family has shared a summer home in Spain with a French family from Paris, the Tronsons: Jean, Florence, their sons Marc and Richard, and Gran'mère Gania.
Chapter 1
THE ANGEVIN EMPIRE
1152-1223
On the wet, windy evening of 14 October 1415, Henry V, King of England, lay with his power in the little hamlet of Maisoncelles, 50 miles south of Calais, on the muddy plain of Picardy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,822,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible