Across the Bridge by Mavis Gallant

Across the Bridge (1993)

by Mavis Gallant

Not my favorite Mavis Gallant collection but loved the French Canadian stories . . . they are my people and I saw A LOT of my grandparents in the characters. (Fall River! OOB!) ( )
  beckydj | Nov 30, 2013 |
This is one of those books where I can appreciate the craftsmanship and fine skill of the storywriting, but a year after reading it I remember nothing of the stories or the characters. I wish I could appreciate the stories as much as the critics do. I think I would have thought better of this volume had I read it when I was a young man perusing different writing styles while trying to develop my own. The stories are mostly set in France during a period of mannered and careful courtships. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 19, 2007 |

With remarkable perception, Gallant weaves stories of intricate simplicity and spare complexity. With irony and an unfailing eye for telling detail, she cannily observes the illusions that people necessarily create and destroy in the tangle of life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

The first four of the eleven stories in this book are connected, following the fortunes of the Carette family. In "1933" their widowed mother teaches Berthe and Marie to conceal the fact that she was a seamstress, and to say instead that she was "clever with her hands." In "The Chosen Husband" the luckless suitor, Louis, has to undergo the front-parlor scrutiny of Marie's mother and sister: "But then Louis began to cough and had to cover his mouth. He was in trouble with a caramel. The Carettes looked away, so that he could strangle unobserved. 'How dark it is, ' said Berthe, to let him think that he could not be seen." Almost all of the other stories take place in the Paris Mavis Gallant knows so well. "Across the Bridge," the title story, begins with the narrator's mother throwing her reluctant daughter's wedding invitations into the Seine. "I watched the envelopes fall in a slow shower and land on the dark water and float apart. Strangers leaned on the parapet and stared, too, but nobody spoke." A master of contemporary prose - elegant, concise, finely textured - Mavis Gallant never relaxes the tension between detachment and compassion, understanding and mystery, memory and truth. She constantly surprises the reader with her quicksilver perceptions of the moments when people's illusions are revealed and their lives change irrevocably as they form new, necessary illusions. With irony and an unfailing eye for the telling detail, she weaves stories of such intricate simplicity and spare complexity that critics have rightly compared her with Henry James and Anton Chekhov. Across the Bridge is a vintage collection by one of the best short-story writers in the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible