The Fountainhead (1943)

by Ayn Rand

Here is the story of an intransigent young architect, Howard Roark, of his violent battle against a mindless status quo, and of his explosive love affair with a beautiful woman who worships him yet struggles to defeat him. In order to build his kind of buildings according to his own standards, Roark must fight against every variant of human corruption.… (more)
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (bigtent21, thebookpile)
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation on the classic novel from this collection of scholarly criticism.
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (Voracious_Reader)
    Progress by Charles Stampul (PeerlessPress)
    Calumet "K" by Samuel Merwin (Cecrow)
    The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham (edwinbcn)
    Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox (SunnySD)
    Triangle: The Fire that Changed America by David Von Drehle (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The real world results of libertarianism.
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (Alixtii)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Voracious_Reader)

English (223)  French (3)  Hebrew (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (233)
Long, drawn out and very philosophical. This is interesting in parts, then there are parts where nothing happens and nothing interesting is presented. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 4, 2021 |
i really enjoyed this book honestly, especially since i came across it because of orlando bloom and his quote about it (who knew orlando bloom would even read the fountainhead by ayn rand?)

it's my first book from this author, and i loved the depth she put in her characters, in their own views of the world, of each other, and how these views determine the way they interact with their surroundings.

i also happened to learn a lot of things about architecture, and find rand's philosophy on art rather interesting. ( )
  ernest-heminways | Jan 2, 2021 |
Where [book: Atlas Shrugged] is Rand's overarching philosophical and political treatise, The Fountainhead is her tribute to art, love and the romantic spirit.

Of course, in Rand's conception art, politics, love, philosophy and human interaction all are interwoven, so it's no surprise that to her that the true artist constantly has to struggle against the whims of politicians who use their petty power to sway the masses and fund outlandish and inefficient architectural projects for their own gain. As he struggles, the true artist has but to find solace and security in the knowledge that he is, in fact, being true to his own nature and the sensibility of the art that he creates.

As may be expected, Rand explores a host of ideas in this book, which include but are not limited to: Finding contentment with one's self and actions, the nature and utility of art, what constitutes love, etc.

Atlas may be considered her crowning achievement, but in my opinion this book is far better. ( )
  octoberdad | Dec 16, 2020 |
This is my favorite book I've read in a long time. I've always been a fan of Atlas Shrugged, but upon subsequent rereadings, I find myself bogged down by its length, pacing and atmosphere. The Fountainhead is a better book in every way, but is similar enough to Atlas Shrugged in order to communicate the same ideas.

The Fountainhead is an unconventional book, telling the story of four characters as they revolve around Howard Roark: the personification of incorrigible merit and confidence. Each character falls short of the ideal in a different way, and each suffers for it. This is not so much a book as a philosophical treatise told in literary form, but it's a healthy dose of inspiration for those of us who need its message. For those of us who need to know that excellence is life's greatest joy, that it's admirable to disagree with the majority, that there are higher ideals than charity, and that sympathy can be weaponized by the incompetent.

At its heart, The Fountainhead is an ode to human excellence, superiority, and accomplishment. Its message is distasteful in the contemporary political climate, and liking Rand can immediately get you branded as an enemy of the blue tribe. Many of these ideas are likely to be unpalatable to a modern audience, but I'd argue that's even more of a reason to read The Fountainhead.

Strongly recommended. ( )
  isovector | Dec 13, 2020 |
what a read ( )
  Yashika.Sharma | Sep 2, 2020 |
[Miss Rand] has written a hymn in praise of the individual and has said things worth saying in these days. Whether her antithesis between altruism and selfishness is logically correct or not, she has written a powerful indictment.

Rand, Aynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurt, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Rheenen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." _____Ayn Rand
To Frank O'Connor
Howard Roark laughed.
To say "I love you" one must first be able to say the "I".
"If a writer wrote merely for his time, I would have to break my pen and throw it away" —Victor Hugo.

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is the story of Howard Roark, a man who stands up for his principles in a world where they are not valued. He pays the price for it, with his rivals like Peter Keating getting ahead. But he runs his own race, because the race everyone else runs is one filled with compromise and without integrity. He falls in love with a woman, whom he must first teach to live in a world like this. He stands tall, alone, and shows us the essence of individualism.
The selfless man is/acting as his own builder/and as destroyer (missteacher)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,899,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible