The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead (original 1943; edition 1996)

by Ayn Rand

Here is the story of an intransigent young architect, Howard Roark, of his violent battle against a mindless status quo, and of his explosive love affair with a beautiful woman who worships him yet struggles to defeat him. In order to build his kind of buildings according to his own standards, Roark must fight against every variant of human corruption.… (more)
Member:RupaliP29
Title:The Fountainhead
Authors:Ayn Rand
Info:Signet Book, Mass Market Paperback, 704 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (1943)

Recently added byprivate library, Ninekk, smsweeten, nerual_05, r2a2, Bruno126, thkunkel, DJP38
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, Sylvia Plath, Carl Sandburg
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (bigtent21, thebookpile)
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation on the classic novel from this collection of scholarly criticism.
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (Voracious_Reader)
    Progress by Charles Stampul (PeerlessPress)
    Calumet "K" by Samuel Merwin (Cecrow)
    The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham (edwinbcn)
    Triangle: The Fire that Changed America by David Von Drehle (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The real world results of libertarianism.
    Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox (SunnySD)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (Alixtii)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Voracious_Reader)

English (233)  French (3)  Hebrew (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (244)
Still one of my favorite books even thought I don't buy into her complete philosophy. ( )
  John_Hughel | Aug 17, 2022 |
The Fountainhead is one of those books I started so long ago and didn't finish or get halfway on that, whenever I get around to buying a fresh copy and audio book, I'll have to start all over with it. I know I will finish it one day, but it's quite the thought-provoking read and not for someone who is busy and won't have time to finish it for a long while.

Each character is brilliant, some of which have come to leave me quoting memorable lines they said that have lingered for years in my mind. The day I finish this book will likely be one I close it feeling satisfied.

Until then, I'm leaving this review feeling lackluster. ( )
  Yolken | Aug 5, 2022 |
For those uninterested in taking a look at my review of Atlas Shrugged, and why this is so brief, just know this; no one likes it when you talk about the Fountainhead except other sociopaths who love the Fountainhead. I will accept the accusation of being a philistine — but would argue that Rand errs on the side of poor writing regardless — but the espousal of her, frankly, ill-formed, unnuanced, and entirely unempathetic philosophies make for an uninteresting, uninspired, and unpleasant novel. This should have been cut down to an enumerated manifesto for selfishness, and then stuffed away in a basement somewhere, never to be found again. Why this receives any praise is beyond me. ( )
  AlunStokes | May 17, 2022 |
I picked this up from a LFL on a lark, and ye gods... This is where the dreaded "randbots" came from? This...?!? Infamously influential turgid crap -I couldn't get past the first two sentences. (TBF the 1949 film with Gary Cooper and Patricia O'Neil is a hoot!)
  kencf0618 | Apr 3, 2022 |
As much as everyone seems to hate Rand nowadays, I think she's a great storyteller. I love the characters in this and couldn't put it down. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
[Miss Rand] has written a hymn in praise of the individual and has said things worth saying in these days. Whether her antithesis between altruism and selfishness is logically correct or not, she has written a powerful indictment.

Rand, Aynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurt, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Rheenen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." _____Ayn Rand
To Frank O'Connor
Howard Roark laughed.
To say "I love you" one must first be able to say the "I".

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is the story of Howard Roark, a man who stands up for his principles in a world where they are not valued. He pays the price for it, with his rivals like Peter Keating getting ahead. But he runs his own race, because the race everyone else runs is one filled with compromise and without integrity. He falls in love with a woman, whom he must first teach to live in a world like this. He stands tall, alone, and shows us the essence of individualism.
The selfless man is/acting as his own builder/and as destroyer (missteacher)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,421,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible