The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain

The Innocents Abroad (1869)

by Mark Twain

Series: Oxford Mark Twain

A Tramp Abroad by Mark Twain (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both have equivalent high-doses of hyperbole, sarcasm, irreverence.
    Roughing It by Mark Twain (hathaway_library)
    The Towers of Trebizond by Rose Macaulay (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Tongue-in-cheek perspectives on the Near East in the form of travelogue.
    When the Going Was Good by Evelyn Waugh (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: The keen observations and satirical humor are similar.
    Mark Twain: A Life by Ron Powers (John_Vaughan)
    Following The Equator: A Journey Around the World by Mark Twain (John_Vaughan)

English (39)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
Hallelujah!!! I finally finished this book!!! I have been reading this book for over 4 months!!! That is not a good way to start off a review, but it is, in fact, the truth!

So.....this was more often than not....TEDIOUS!!!! And I never let a book defeat me (i know...life is too short and blah, blah, blah....) But i was so hopeful.....and ultimately so disappointed....

Some plusses - a few:

I did on occasion pause to look something up about some place or thing he described that seemed pretty interesting that i had never heard of.....Gibraltar, for example....and i appreciated the nudge Twain gave me to expand my horizons a bit.

There is no question he has a subtle glib sense of humor that occasionally made me laugh.

I enjoyed some of the descriptions of the people and places he described if it was brief and to the point.

I guess that is all i can think of in the plus column....

The negatives....a lot:

I realized that the typical reader when this was published must have had an extraordinary general knowledge of the Bible and every story, character and locale mentioned. The trip through the Holy Land was ETERNAL with constant references to tiny moments in the Bible in certain places with specific characters that may have been interesting had i been familiar with all the intimate details....I was not!

He was often not nice with regards to describing the cultures he encountered.....sometimes brutal....He did not appreciate Catholics much and he had a healthy disdain for Muslims for sure. I did not expect the callousness to be so intense so much of the time.

This really was not a travel log....but more a book about Americans traveling to new places. And his traveling companions often had an even harsher disdain for much of what they saw, including a running joke about their constant efforts to deface precious monuments to gather souvenirs to take home...which is one thing.....but other than joke about them, he did nothing to dissuade them other than one instance near the end...

He made constant negative comments about all guide books, guides, touristy gimmicks and every bit of infrastructure that allowed them to even take this journey.....

He often glossed over places i had a mild interest in and went on and on and on about those that were not in my wheelhouse at all.

He seemed to like very little of what he saw genuinely....surface-wise maybe....which makes for a long, long journey to read about!!!

Final reflections:

This is not all Mark Twain's fault....I bear much of the blame....i had a busy 4 months, with insufficient reading time available, and not all books do well with the 'page or 2 a day' reading style.....like this one.

I am apparently unbelievably ignorant to the stories of the Bible. Europe and the Holy Lands in the late 1860s were dramatically different places then than they are today...so his negative impressions then vs. what i know today are very unfair to compare, but compare i did. I suppose if I were a bigger non-fiction reader, and cared enough to contemplate the dramatic changes in the world over the intervening time, this could be a fascinating window into that real flux of culture and history....but i read to be entertained....and this felt like work....no....it was work!

Relieved, but by no means discouraged.....i will pick away at Twain's fiction, but i may leave his additional travel books for others to ponder. ( )
  jeffome | Dec 1, 2018 |
Sarcasm abounds in this travel text reaching laugh out loud levels of rudeness. Well worth the read. And a good reminder of how not to behave when abroad and after returning from a big trip. ( )
  Jerry.Yoakum | Jul 17, 2018 |
In the days when such a proceeding was a novelty, a ship full of tourists set out from New York. Their aim: to travel through Europe and the Middle East and see all the sights of cultural and historical interest. Young journalist Twain joins the party and proceeds to poke fun at the historic sites, the inhabitants of each locale visited, his fellow travelers, and, occasionally, himself. He is by turns acerbic and sentimental, broad-minded and parochial. There’s plenty in the book to offend modern sensibilities, but I’m sure that was also true on the date of its publication. Apart from our narrator — Twain, or the persona he created for the purpose? I was never quite sure — there wasn’t much in the way of characters; apart from the ship’s itinerary, not much in the way of plot. I’m glad to have read this, but I’m quite sure I won’t read it again. I’d recommend this to Twain’s fans, and to those who enjoy reading travel books from days past. ( )
1 vote foggidawn | Jun 14, 2018 |
Humorous at times, while sometimes boring. This book, with harder than average vocabulary and very long sentences, is Mark Twain's journal in which he recorded his thoughts and feelings on his 'Pleasure Excursion'. He spoke nothing but the genuine impressions the monuments left him, along with how much he was disappointed to find out that his childhood opinions of the historic places were exaggerated. The word 'backsheesh' and the name Ferguson are going to stick with me for the rest of my life. ( )
  Shirehii | May 24, 2018 |
Based on a series of letters Mark Twain wrote from Europe to newspapers in San Francisco and New York as a roving correspondent, The Innocents Abroad (1869) is a burlesque of the sentimental travel books popular in the mid-nineteenth century. Twain's fresh and humorous perspective on hallowed European landmarks lacked reverence for the past-the ancient statues of saints on the Cathedral of Notre Dame are "battered and broken-nosed old fellows" and tour guides "interrupt every dream, every pleasant train of thought, with their tiresome cackling." Equally irreverent about American manners (including his own) as he is about European attitudes, Twain ultimately concludes that, for better or worse, "human nature is very much the same all over the world."

For more than seventy years, Penguin has been the leading publisher of classic literature in the English-speaking world. With more than 1,700 titles, Penguin Classics represents a global bookshelf of the best works throughout history and across genres and disciplines. Readers trust the series to provide authoritative texts enhanced by introductions and notes by distinguished scholars and contemporary authors, as well as up-to-date translations by award-winning translators.
  tony_sturges | Oct 10, 2017 |
The idea of a steamer-load of Americans going on a prolonged picnic to Europe and the Holy Land is itself almost sufficiently delightful, and it is perhaps praise enough for the author to add that it suffers nothing from his handling. If one considers the fun of making a volume of six hundred octavo pages upon this subject, in compliance with one of the main conditions of a subscription book's success, bigness namely, one has a tolerably fair piece of humor, without troubling Mr. Clements further. It is out of the bounty and abundance of his own nature that he is as amusing in the execution as in the conception of his work. And it is always good-humored humor, too, that he lavishes on his reader, and even in its impudence it is charming; we do not remember where it is indulged at the cost of the weak or helpless side, or where it is insolent, with all its sauciness and irreverence.

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Most Charitable Critic,
MY AGED MOTHER,
This Volume is Affectionately
Inscribed
For months the great Pleasure Excursion to Europe and Holy Land was chatted about in the newspapers everywhere in America, and discussed at countless firesides.
The guides deceive and defraud every American who goes to Paris for the first time and sees its sights alone or in company with others as little experienced as himself. I shall visit Paris again some day, and then let the guides beware! I shall go in my war-paint - I shall carry my tomahawk along.
They showed us a portrait of the Madonna which was painted by St Luke, and it did not look half as old and smoky as some of the pictures by Rubens. We could not help admiring the Apostle's modesty in never once mentioning in his writings that he could paint.
But perhaps the most poetical thing Pompeii has yielded to modern research, was that grand figure of a Roman soldier, clad in complete armor; who, true to his duty, true to his proud name of a soldier of Rome, and full of the stern courage which had given to the name its glory, stood to his post by the city gate, erect and unflinching, till the hell that raged around him burned out the dauntless spirit it could not conquer.
if you hire a man to sneeze for you, here (Nazareth), and another man chooses to help him, you have got to pay both. They do nothing whatever without pay. How it must have surprised these people to hear the way of salvation offered to them 'without money and without price'.
The citizens of Endor objected to our going in there, They do not mind dirt; they do not mind rags; they do not mind vermin; they do not mind barbarous ignorance and savagery; they do not mind a reasonable degree of starvation, but they do like to be pure and holy before their god, whoever he may be, and therefore they shudder and grow almost pale at the idea of Christian lips polluting a spring whose waters must descend into their sanctified gullets.
Der zweibändige Werk ward 1875 zum ersten Mal auf deutsch in zwei Bänden aber ohne Folgenummern herausgegeben. Der erste Band hieß Die Arglosen auf Reisen. Der zweite hieß Die neue Pilgerfahrt, nach dem Untertitel des englischen Werkes. Deshalb sind die zwei übersetzten Bände einzeln aufgeführt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451525027, Mass Market Paperback)

Innocents Abroad began as a series of travel letters written by Mark Twain mainly for the Alta California, a San Francisco paper that sponsored his participation in the trip to Europe and the Holy Land in 1867 aboard the steamship Quaker City. On the excursion from New York to Palestine they traveled a distance of over 20,000 miles by land and sea through France, Spain, Italy, Morocco, Russia, Turkey and Egypt. Through his humorous and insightful writings, Twain describes countries, nations, incidents and his amazing adventures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

"The Innocents Abroad is one of the most prominent and influential travel books ever written about Europe and the Holy Land. In it, the collision of the American "New Barbarians" and the European "Old World" provides much comic fodder for Mark Twain - and a remarkably perceptive lens on the human condition. Gleefully skewering the ethos of American tourism in Europe, Twain's lively satire ultimately reveals just what it is that defines cultural identity. As Twain himself points out. "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.""--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,378,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible