The Innocents Abroad, or the New…

The Innocents Abroad, or the New Pilgrims' Progress: Being Some… (original 1869; edition 1990)

by Mark Twain (Author)

Twain describes his experiences traveling in Europe and the Middle East, and pokes fun at tourists and tour guides.
Member:Ruddman_and_Ratey
Title:The Innocents Abroad, or the New Pilgrims' Progress: Being Some Account of the Steamship Quaker City's Pleasure Excursion to Europe and the Holy Land (The World's Best Reading)
Authors:Mark Twain (Author)
Info:Reader's Digest Association (1990), Edition: 1st, 432 pages

The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain (1869)

A Tramp Abroad by Mark Twain (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both have equivalent high-doses of hyperbole, sarcasm, irreverence.
    Roughing It by Mark Twain (hathaway_library)
    The Towers of Trebizond by Rose Macaulay (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Tongue-in-cheek perspectives on the Near East in the form of travelogue.
    When the Going Was Good by Evelyn Waugh (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: The keen observations and satirical humor are similar.
    Mark Twain: A Life by Ron Powers (John_Vaughan)
    Following the Equator: A Journey Around the World by Mark Twain (John_Vaughan)

English (43)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
Maybe 4 1/2 stars? Frequently hilarious, could be tightened up a bit, particularly in the Holy Land section. ( )
  AldusManutius | Jul 5, 2020 |
package tour of Europe and Egypt
  ritaer | Mar 15, 2020 |
Excellent travelogue. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I had so many problems with the ebook formatting, I finally got the audiobook and listened to it. Grover Gardener is an excellent narrator. I listened mostly while I was gardening and it was perfect.

This book is hysterical. Twain is a grump of a young man who likes his comforts when he is roughing it. Knowing a little about Twain and his politics/religion helps when reading the book. Gardner is able to tease out his subtle wit well. You can almost see the wry grin on Twain's face. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Hallelujah!!! I finally finished this book!!! I have been reading this book for over 4 months!!! That is not a good way to start off a review, but it is, in fact, the truth!

So.....this was more often than not....TEDIOUS!!!! And I never let a book defeat me (i know...life is too short and blah, blah, blah....) But i was so hopeful.....and ultimately so disappointed....

Some plusses - a few:

I did on occasion pause to look something up about some place or thing he described that seemed pretty interesting that i had never heard of.....Gibraltar, for example....and i appreciated the nudge Twain gave me to expand my horizons a bit.

There is no question he has a subtle glib sense of humor that occasionally made me laugh.

I enjoyed some of the descriptions of the people and places he described if it was brief and to the point.

I guess that is all i can think of in the plus column....

The negatives....a lot:

I realized that the typical reader when this was published must have had an extraordinary general knowledge of the Bible and every story, character and locale mentioned. The trip through the Holy Land was ETERNAL with constant references to tiny moments in the Bible in certain places with specific characters that may have been interesting had i been familiar with all the intimate details....I was not!

He was often not nice with regards to describing the cultures he encountered.....sometimes brutal....He did not appreciate Catholics much and he had a healthy disdain for Muslims for sure. I did not expect the callousness to be so intense so much of the time.

This really was not a travel log....but more a book about Americans traveling to new places. And his traveling companions often had an even harsher disdain for much of what they saw, including a running joke about their constant efforts to deface precious monuments to gather souvenirs to take home...which is one thing.....but other than joke about them, he did nothing to dissuade them other than one instance near the end...

He made constant negative comments about all guide books, guides, touristy gimmicks and every bit of infrastructure that allowed them to even take this journey.....

He often glossed over places i had a mild interest in and went on and on and on about those that were not in my wheelhouse at all.

He seemed to like very little of what he saw genuinely....surface-wise maybe....which makes for a long, long journey to read about!!!

Final reflections:

This is not all Mark Twain's fault....I bear much of the blame....i had a busy 4 months, with insufficient reading time available, and not all books do well with the 'page or 2 a day' reading style.....like this one.

I am apparently unbelievably ignorant to the stories of the Bible. Europe and the Holy Lands in the late 1860s were dramatically different places then than they are today...so his negative impressions then vs. what i know today are very unfair to compare, but compare i did. I suppose if I were a bigger non-fiction reader, and cared enough to contemplate the dramatic changes in the world over the intervening time, this could be a fascinating window into that real flux of culture and history....but i read to be entertained....and this felt like work....no....it was work!

Relieved, but by no means discouraged.....i will pick away at Twain's fiction, but i may leave his additional travel books for others to ponder. ( )
  jeffome | Dec 1, 2018 |
The idea of a steamer-load of Americans going on a prolonged picnic to Europe and the Holy Land is itself almost sufficiently delightful, and it is perhaps praise enough for the author to add that it suffers nothing from his handling. If one considers the fun of making a volume of six hundred octavo pages upon this subject, in compliance with one of the main conditions of a subscription book's success, bigness namely, one has a tolerably fair piece of humor, without troubling Mr. Clements further. It is out of the bounty and abundance of his own nature that he is as amusing in the execution as in the conception of his work. And it is always good-humored humor, too, that he lavishes on his reader, and even in its impudence it is charming; we do not remember where it is indulged at the cost of the weak or helpless side, or where it is insolent, with all its sauciness and irreverence.

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Most Charitable Critic,
MY AGED MOTHER,
This Volume is Affectionately
Inscribed
For months the great Pleasure Excursion to Europe and Holy Land was chatted about in the newspapers everywhere in America, and discussed at countless firesides.
The guides deceive and defraud every American who goes to Paris for the first time and sees its sights alone or in company with others as little experienced as himself. I shall visit Paris again some day, and then let the guides beware! I shall go in my war-paint - I shall carry my tomahawk along.
They showed us a portrait of the Madonna which was painted by St Luke, and it did not look half as old and smoky as some of the pictures by Rubens. We could not help admiring the Apostle's modesty in never once mentioning in his writings that he could paint.
But perhaps the most poetical thing Pompeii has yielded to modern research, was that grand figure of a Roman soldier, clad in complete armor; who, true to his duty, true to his proud name of a soldier of Rome, and full of the stern courage which had given to the name its glory, stood to his post by the city gate, erect and unflinching, till the hell that raged around him burned out the dauntless spirit it could not conquer.
if you hire a man to sneeze for you, here (Nazareth), and another man chooses to help him, you have got to pay both. They do nothing whatever without pay. How it must have surprised these people to hear the way of salvation offered to them 'without money and without price'.
The citizens of Endor objected to our going in there, They do not mind dirt; they do not mind rags; they do not mind vermin; they do not mind barbarous ignorance and savagery; they do not mind a reasonable degree of starvation, but they do like to be pure and holy before their god, whoever he may be, and therefore they shudder and grow almost pale at the idea of Christian lips polluting a spring whose waters must descend into their sanctified gullets.
Der zweibändige Werk ward 1875 zum ersten Mal auf deutsch in zwei Bänden aber ohne Folgenummern herausgegeben. Der erste Band hieß Die Arglosen auf Reisen. Der zweite hieß Die neue Pilgerfahrt, nach dem Untertitel des englischen Werkes. Deshalb sind die zwei übersetzten Bände einzeln aufgeführt.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible