Anne Frank Remembered (1987)

by Miep Gies, Alison Leslie Gold

She found Anne Frank's diary and brought the world a message of love and hope. For more than two years, Miep Gies and her husband helped hide the Franks from the Nazis. Like thousands of unsung heroes of the Holocaust, they risked their lives each day to bring food, news, and emotional support to the victims. From her own remarkable childhood as a World War I refugee to the moment she places a small, red-orange, checkered diary -- Anne's legacy -- in Otto Frank's hands, Miep Gies remembers her days with simple honesty and shattering clarity. Each page rings with courage and heartbreaking beauty.… (more)
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (edjane)
    edjane: While you can read Anne Frank Remembered without ever reading the Diary of Anne Frank, I believe these two books complement each other.
    Things We Couldn't Say by Diet Eman (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: This book details the efforts of a young Dutch woman and her fiance in the Dutch resistance where they found hiding places for Jews and then supported them through their imprisonment. Both paid a very high price for their kindness.
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books tell of the experiences of Dutch citizens who hid Jews during the Holocaust.
    A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead (srdr)
    srdr: Both books show the heroism of individual women during WW II. A Train in Winter tells a group story; Anne Frank Remembered reveals the risks taken by Miep Gies and her husband to help the Frank family.

English (28)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (30)
I have read everything about Anne Frank that I could get my hands on. She has been a hero of mine for a very long time. Another hero is Miep Gies. When I finally had a chance to read her version of the German occupation and her time caring for the Franks, I jumped on it. Throughout the story, I learned things about Miep and Jan (her husband), which I never knew and which further made me realize what amazing people they were. Miep also gets into what happened on the day the Frank family was taken into custody and what was happening downstairs. I enjoyed this book from beginning to end and believe it is essential reading for those who are interested in World War II from the perspective of those who were on the outside of looking in. ( )
  Micareads | Jun 21, 2022 |
An important book. ( )
  LuanneCastle | Mar 5, 2022 |
This book provided much information regarding moral people who risked their lives during the Second World War. It was also interesting to learn how very difficult and tragic the lives of many Dutch were at this time and after the war ended. The writing could have been clearer, and I would have liked more in depth discussion about why these people took the possibly fatal chances they did. ( )
  suesbooks | Jan 2, 2022 |
Similar to The Diary of Anne Frank, this story is about the woman who helped their family survive during the time that they were in hiding. ( )
  maggieschneider | Nov 16, 2020 |
Heartbreaking and uplifting. This tells the story of of Miep, how she came to know the Franks, how she helped the Franks and the war in general. It provides a personal look at the war, the effects of the war, and the lives of people tying to help in anyway they could. ( )
  obtusata | Jan 9, 2020 |

Miep Giesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gold, Alison Lesliemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Damour, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am no hero.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,854,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible