I Was Wrong by Jim Bakker

I Was Wrong (edition 1996)

by Jim Bakker

Member:DavidChristian
Title:I Was Wrong
Authors:Jim Bakker
Info:Thomas Nelson (1996), Hardcover, 466 pages

I Was Wrong by Jim Bakker (Author)

At 461 pages a pretty meaty read briefly covering the events resulting in the imprisonment of Bakker and his release, but mostly covering his time in prison.

In places I can see how the content relates to the title and in other parts of the book the reader is left wondering whether Bakker accepts he was wrong.

Covers the many emotions he experienced as he lost everything. Anyone who is human can relate to the revelations Bakker discovers. Anyone involved in church leadership might be able to relate to some of the stories Bakker relates. ( )
  PhillipThomas | May 17, 2016 |
Interesting read. Jim Bakker's story of the PTL scandal that brought down his empire. ( )
  professormark | Jun 20, 2015 |
Jim Bakker's memoir leaves some important questions unanswered.
  kijabi1 | Jan 6, 2012 |
When Bakker was accused and convicted, back in the day, I was one of a few who actually believed in him. Even though my parents lost thousands of dollars to his PTL program and Heritage USA, where they purchased life-long memberships, to this day they continue to support him.

So, when my parents offered to loan me this book, I was eager to read it. Before cracking it open, I continued to stand behind the man who admitted openly his mistakes.

However, after reading Bakker's "I Was Wrong", I am left with the feeling I used to get when my children [who are all in their late twenties and into their mid-thirties now] used to confess to doing something wrong when they were little, just to tag on at the end a little "...but...." to the confession.

Oh, yes, Bakker admits to his many mistakes, but has to add to each confessive moment a little "but" whereby he actually transfers the blame to another.

Admitting your guilt in my eyes will show me what kind of a man or woman you really are. But dragging someone else into the blame game.... well it only demeans you to me.

Accept your faults, confess your errors, and then move forward. Forgive those who have erred against you, and leave it all in the past.

Unfortunately, coming to terms with your guilt should not include making a fistful of money by dragging names through the mud with your own.

I give this book One Star and my Thumbs Down Award.

Don't waste your money on purchasing this book should you feel compelled to read it. Borrow it from your library. I recommend that you not waste your time in reading it altogether.

****DISCLOSURE: This book was a personal loan and was not under obligation for review. ( )
  texicanwife | Oct 8, 2011 |
So you read the title, and ya think, hey maybe this guy came to some sense of personal responsibility for his crimes and chicanery. Nope. Still full of it, still finding people and situational excuses to sidestep his supreme culpability. Happy I found the book in a free box at a library sale, so I didn't enrich this prize pig with my read. A dreadful book from a dreadful man that took the positive instincts of millions and subsumed them in personal excess and profoundly unChristian philosophy. WWJD? I'm guessing it wouldn't be to have built a theme park and a water slide. ( )
  Oreillynsf | Apr 16, 2010 |

Bakker, JimAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, Kensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nelson, Thomassecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The loss of Jim Bakker's empire, his money, his home, and his reputation in the two years leading up to his imprisonment in 1989 was only the beginning. In prison, he was to lose even more - his freedom, his sanity, his dignity, his confidence in his faith, and eventually even his wife. Inmate 07407-058, one-time confidant to presidents, had hit bottom. Jim Bakker was wrong about many things. Exactly what they were and how he came to confess them will surprise and inspire you. This is his story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,606,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible