Virginia Woolf: The Impact of Childhood Sexual Abuse on Her Life and Work

by Louise A. DeSalvo

1962138,448 (4.06)1
Describes the abuse inflicted upon the novelist from her Victorian family where sexual violence was common.

DeSalvo's analysis of Virginia Woolf's childhood and how it influenced her writing rings even more true now, what with the #MeTo movement and its revelations, than when the book was published in 1990. I was especially moved by her contention that Woolf fought back against her family and her society through her writing. I finished the book with a strong belief in the value of writing to define and assert the self, especially when you are being pressed to conform to a social structure that denigrates you. ( )
1 vote PatsyMurray | Dec 23, 2018 |
This is a challenging book indeed. I wanted to argue with some of the conclusions, but the author is quite persuasive. Anyone interested in the life and work of Woolf should really read this one. ( )
  jarvenpa | Mar 31, 2013 |
In 1962, while I was a student of Carol Smith at Douglass College, I first became interested in Virginia Woolf's portraits of children in To the Lighthouse. - Preface

Amazon book description below is wrong!!!

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,792,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible