Star Trek: First Contact [comic]

by John Vornholt, Philip Moy (Illustrator), Terry Pallot (Illustrator)

Other authors: Rod Whigham (Illustrator)

Series: Star Trek

412,837,915NoneNone
Recently added byStevil2001, BurningDoom, melsmarsh

Access a version of the below that includes illustrations on my blog.

This is the last-ever comic adaptation of a Prime universe Star Trek film; it's also the only film adaptation to not be collected by IDW or Titan, so I read it as a standalone work.

John Vornholt scripts; I didn't know he did any comics work, actually, as I primarily know him as a prolific Star Trek novelist in the 1990s, including the YA novels of all four Next Generation films, meaning this is one of two adaptations of First Contact that he wrote. It's an okay script. The first half captures the film well, but something is off with the pacing, and the second half gets very choppy, with a lot of the movie's great scenes cut down so much they lose their impact. The argument between Picard and Lily where he breaks his ships becomes a calm conversation; the great bit about Moby-Dick literally becomes: "You're like Captain Ahab." "Have you read Moby Dick?" "Actually, no." Zefram Cochrane is a particular victim of the condensation; the values conflict between him and the Enterprise crew doesn't come off at all.

The art by Terry Pallot, Rod Whigham, and Philip Moy looks nice; it has that nice 1990s pre-computers style that I like, reminding me of people like Mike Collins or Matt Haley. (Which I guess makes sense, because Mike Collins worked on Marvel's 1990s Star Trek comics.) The action is often confusing, though, especially the shipboard fights against the Borg. I'm not sure a reader could follow the Dixon Hill scene if they didn't see the film. But then, who is reading this who didn't see the film? Like most film-to-comics adaptations, I'm discovering, it's serviceable, but adds little to your experience.
  Stevil2001 | Nov 19, 2019 |

John Vornholtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moy, PhilipIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pallot, TerryIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Whigham, RodIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,705,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible