The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics)…

The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics) (original 1844; edition 2003)

by Alexandre Dumas Pere (Author), Robin Buss (Introduction)

18,739329141 (4.33)4 / 1173
The Count of Monte Cristo is the tense and exciting story of Edmond Dantes, a man on the threshold of a bright career and a happy marriage, who is imprisoned in the island fortress of the Chateau d'If on a false political charge. After staging a dramatic escape, he finds the fabulous treasure of Monte Cristo which makes him wealthy. He then sets upon the course of revenge against his old enemies.… (more)
Member:dharding
Title:The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Alexandre Dumas Pere (Author)
Other authors:Robin Buss (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Edition: Reissue, 1276 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2018

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (1844)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre père Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy, Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Kevin Reynolds (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating interpretation. Very free and very different. Really an independent work of art. If not superior to the novel, certainly not inferior to it either. Great script, superb cast, beautiful music, gorgeous production design.
    The Three Musketeers Twenty Years After The Vicomte of Bragelonne Ten Years Later Louise de la Valliere The Man in the Iron Mask (The Complete d'Artagnan Romances): Completed Second Edition by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    Selected Short Stories [Penguin Popular Classics] by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (lizzybeans11)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    Shogun by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)

Europe (206)

English (307)  Spanish (7)  Italian (5)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (329)
Best revenge story ever..!!I read this book a few years back after reading 'The Three Musketeers' and this book was even better. One of the finest works of Alexandre Dumas. A must read ( )
  Kausik_Lakkaraju | Jan 20, 2020 |
This is one of the best book I've ever read! A true masterpiece.
  Fidelias | Jan 9, 2020 |
Alexandre Dumas’s The Count of Monte Cristo is simply one of the greatest novels in all of literature. It is an epic tale of adventure and intrigue, betrayal and revenge, mischief and murder, romance and redemption. It is a remarkably long and complex story with myriad characters that manages to hold one’s interest and still leave the reader yearning for more even at the end of its nearly 1,250 pages. The unabridged Penguin Classics edition with Robin Buss’s smooth translation and solid Introduction is the easily the version of choice. This is a book to be savored, with re-readings certain to deepen one’s appreciation; however, I will not watch any of the film adaptations, as they are sure to pale in comparison, and will inevitably alter the matchless mind’s-eye visuals that the book has created. ( )
  ghr4 | Dec 28, 2019 |
Did I really like The Count of Monte Cristo - yes.
Do I have some really big problems with the Count of Monte Cristo - also yes. I mean, seriously, that dude is a jerk.

You befriend some douchey-but-harmless 21-year-old kid while you sabotage his dad and then are totally willing to kill the kid in a duel after first exposing to him that the father he idolizes is a cowardly treacherous evil-doer?
You let your son (in feelings) think that his fiancée is dead for a month to prove himself a decent person?

And, last but certainly the absolutely freaking most - you sail off into the sunset with your 18-year-old Grecian slave/daughter/girlfriend/Stockholm-syndrome victim while the narrative leaves Mercédès alone, miserable and aged-shamed? FFS.

This gigantic book read surprisingly quickly and I was surprised at how engaged I was in nearly every of all 15,6200 sub-plots. Though serialized, unlike Dickens and his constantly padding the word count, I really rarely felt that here. Maybe because if there were any obnoxious made up words and stupid names I just got to write them off as being something French I didn't understand. Ma foi!

The ending is really beautiful; Edmond's last letter is wonderful and ends the story in such an optimistic place. Wait and hope, it is such a simple and haertfelt message and so surprising challenging. But, then the books over and it is hard to come back down and wrap your head around the laundry list of horrible things that Edmond has done in the name of vengence. Unlike an anti-hero, we're totally supposed to forgive him because in the end he realized he's a fallible dude and not an avenging angel of God/Providence. But... DUH. His realization may absolve him in the narrative, but I'm not sure it was enough for me (despite the fact that I'm fairly bloodthirsty, I love me a good payback story, but) - the last couple hundred pages of this book are just life after life being destroyed at his hands, and while a lot of those lives belonged to shitty people, not all of them... And, then Benedetto and Danglar just get to walk away? Seriously? Fernand kills himself after losing his family and Villefort is driven mad with grief after, like, literally everyone related to him ever is killed by his 2nd wife (seriously, lesson is - keep the first one. Just sayin'), but Danglar-every bit as culpable-is just forgiven because he's the last one standing?! FFS.

And, I know Mercédès is a one-note character and it was never going to be like the movie where they get to be happy together after all because she still has the twine (*sobbing with feels*), but I am so not okay with her last chapter. She's ruined, fiscally, in terms of pride, and emotionally, which yeah, that all sucks, but then she's all like, 'you ruined everybody but me, but I'm the most guilty' - like hell you are, woman! Grow a spine! And then, 'I'm 39 but I look 50-I'm dead inside-my eyes don't sparkle anymore.' Just yuck.

Seriously, this book doesn't have a single worthwhile female character except Eugénie, who is fan-freaking-tastic and deserves so much better than what the book allows her. Every single other woman in the books is just there to cry a bunch while men press each others hands in deep feeling. Oy.

It really doesn't sound like I liked the book, but really - I did, I think I liked it so much that the suffering is more acute because there was barely a single female character I could pull out of it and be like, 'look. here. interesting. dimensional. relatable.' - and selfishly, I just wanted that. If I rewatch Revenge will it make me feel better? ( )
1 vote alailiander | Oct 24, 2019 |
Zlikovci su previše realno oslikani, bilo mi ih je malo žao, iako su masovne ubice maltene. ( )
  NenadN | Sep 6, 2019 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

On February 24, 1815, the lookout of Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the three-master, the Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102103, 1400108624

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,654,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible