Catching Water in a Net (Jake Diamond…

Catching Water in a Net (Jake Diamond Mystery) (Volume 1) (edition 2013)

by J. L. Abramo (Author)

Member:fvg
Title:Catching Water in a Net (Jake Diamond Mystery) (Volume 1)
Authors:J. L. Abramo (Author)
Info:Down & Out Books (2013), 274 pages

Catching Water in a Net by J. L. Abramo

A woman enters San Francisco P.I. Jake Diamonds office and asks for his help in finding her husband. She also tells him that the police are searching for her husband for killing his partner.

This is how Jake learns that the victim is his old friend and mentor, Jimmy Pigeon.

Jake's investigation is mildly interesting. He gets a lot of help from his old friends, from both sides of the law.

As I read, I was reminded of some of the old P.I. stories and in particular of Raymond Chandler's character, Philip Marlowe.

I also liked the original jacket cover and felt that added to the mystery and of the story.

As this promises to be the first in a series, I would be interested to read of the other adventures of Jake Diamond. ( )
  mikedraper | May 27, 2013 |
This book was like watching a tennis match. I felt like I got tossed back and forth between subjects and topics like an ocean buoy. The overall story was interesting, the characters, though not always likable, are realistic and flawed. The mystery seemed to take a back seat at points, but overall wasn't too bad. ( )
  kate.wille | Mar 16, 2008 |
San Francisco private investigator Jake Diamond is so much in the mold of Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe, you can practically hear Hammett and Chandler muttering from the great beyond about copyright infringement. But author J.L. Abramo nevertheless serves up a refreshingly old-school treat with his debut novel, "Catching Water in a Net". Abramo shows a clear flair for the genre, and wisely keeps the twists coming fast enough that readers have no choice but to keep turning pages.
added by JLAbramo | editSan Francisco Chronical, David Lazarus

For my mother, who didn't need to be an artist to understand.
The phone on my desk rang so unexpectedly that I nearly spilled the Mylanta onto my only unstained necktie.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031228232X, Hardcover)

In this award-winning debut, San Francisco PI Jake Diamond is a hero who plays both sides of the Private Eye street. He is a careless dresser with a sloppy lifestyle and he couldn't keep his marriage from falling apart. But he also epitomizes the best of the modern shamus. He has the kinds of friends a man in his profession needs-jailbirds, mob bosses, and a cop who can surreptitiously run license plate numbers for him.

Jake has been down on his luck lately, barely making enough money to pay the bills and it looks like business might finally be picking up. A woman comes to his office begging him to find her missing husband who has been accused of murder. Jake remembers that his mentor Jimmy Pigeon always says "Whenever I'm asked to locate a missing spouse, the words 'no, but thanks for asking' always come to mind" and almost turns the case down, but then he learns that the murder victim was Jimmy Pigeon.

Determined to discover the identity of Pigeon's killer, Diamond scrambles between Los Angeles and San Francisco following leads that range from weak to delusional. With the help of his trusty and sarcastic assistant, Darlene Roman, compulsive gambler Vinnie "String" Stradivarius, and Italian-American "businessman" Joey Russo, Jake slowly uncovers the motives behind Pigeon's murder.

Jake's adventure has all the components of a great new private eye series-scares, suspense, lots of laughs, a few tears and a big surprise at the end.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

J. L. Abramo is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,298,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible