Cybele's Secret (2008)

by Juliet Marillier

Series: The Other Kingdom (2)

Scholarly eighteen-year-old Paula and her merchant father journey from Transylvania to Istanbul to buy an ancient pagan artifact rumored to be charmed, but others, including a handsome Portuguese pirate and an envoy from the magical Wildwood, want to acquire the item, as well.

The kind of stuff that I get caught up in easily. Liked the sweeping storyline. Not really a classic, but FUN. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
It's always a good time when a girl and her bodyguard fall in with a pirate. ( )
  Pascale1812 | Apr 16, 2020 |
Not as good as the first, but I wish Marillier would write more from this world! ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
Sequel to "Wildwood Dancing", and a much better book. Unlike the first book, where I swear that at least one of the characters had a personality removal about 4/5 of the way through the book, I liked this one. I did find it somewhat contrived (but no more than the first), and there are lots of references to it being contrived, because that is the way that the Other World works - all about teaching people about themselves, and if they learn, they survive.

Fantasy, young female lead, romance. Gets bonus points for me not wanting to throw it out the car window (which was my reaction to the ending of the first one. I swore off reading Marillier's books for quite some time after that) ( )
  fred_mouse | Aug 16, 2017 |
Her adult books are much better. ( )
  Danielle_Kozinski | Oct 7, 2016 |
Marillier's graceful prose—reminiscent of Patricia McKillip—and wonderful characterizations are frank, not florid. (Still, Harlequin junkies would be advised to try this more sophisticated confection, whatever their age.) [...] Paula's struggle with her emerging attraction is never tiresome but, rather, the glue that holds the whole caper together. One is every bit as interested in the fates of Marillier's lovers as they are in the scenes of piracy, pursuit, and tests of bravery—of which there are (thrillingly) plenty.

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vrooman, RudyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

A companion novel to Wildwood Dancing
To my granddaughter Katy
The deck tilted to port, and I tilted with it, grabbing at a rope to keep my balance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,512,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible