The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles,…

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Patrick Rothfuss

8,316363755 (4.34)1 / 330
Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)
Member:bibliojim
Title:The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 2)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Hardcover (2011), Hardcover, 1008 pages
Tags:hc, signed

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (2011)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 FantasyFans: Wise Mans Fer17 unread / 17Friederike.Geissler, January 2015

English (356)  Spanish (6)  All languages (362)
And here I thought The Name of the Wind was a long book.

For the most part, everything that I wrote in my review of Name of the Wind still holds true here. The worldbuilding is really cool (sygaldry in particular) and the writing itself just keeps pulling you along. I always wanted to know more.

On the other hand, The Wise Man's Fear is even worse about feeling like Rothfuss basically wrote several novels and basically stuck them together. You have Kvothe at the University, Kvothe and the Maer, Kvothe Hunts Bandits, Kvothe and the Fae, and Kvothe with the Adem. Each would have been a solid book by itself, and each actually has something of a traditional plot to it (with more solid conclusions than book as a whole had). But put them together and it just starts to feel like something of a slog.

I still don't overly care for Kvothe as a character. He's just too good at absolutely everything to be overly believable while at the same time being remarkably stupid a good part of the time. Each time he does something like that, I have to remind myself that he's only supposed to be a teenager and that actually makes sense... Which would be better if he acted like it the rest of the time. For a while there, I was hopeful that D*n* would realize she could do so much better... Alas.

So it goes.

I still enjoyed it and I'm still glad I read it. I've already started The Slow Regard of Silent Things and I'll certainly read Kingkiller #3 whenever it comes out. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
A worthy follow-up to the first book of this series. It bogs down a bit during Kvothe's time with the Ademe, but overall it's an engrossing, entertaining tale.
  jsabrina | Jul 13, 2021 |
Exceptional. There was a sense that the author realized he was doing too much of what the first book did, and so adventure followed, but the exploration of language and though, and the way each informs the other, was surprisingly in-depth. Very much looking forward to the next volume, that is unless he is the next GRR Martin. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |
Excellent second installment of the story of Kvothe, where he continues to recount his life's story to the Chronicler, which strange forces continue to affect his local village. Well written fantasy. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
A lot of the center section felt too pushed and I was surprised at how much open moralizing seemed to be going on. I'm not sure really what to think. Moves slowly - I assume that this will be a trilogy by the way that the main story is being told over three days, but I don't know that I would wait 4 years for the next one. ( )
  youngheart80 | Jun 15, 2021 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)

Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,425,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible