Pipsqueak

by Brian M. Wiprud

Series: Garth Carson (1)

New York City taxidermy collector Garth Carson was seconds away from snagging the greatest find of his career-the original Pipsqueak the Nutty Nut, stuffed-squirrel puppet star of his favorite 1950s kiddie TV show-until a biker, a brawny redhead, and a murder derailed his dreams and stole his squirrel. Now Garth would do anything to get Pipsqueak back. Unfortunately, so would someone else.When Garth and his gal, Angie, two of New York's most unlikely sleuths, enter a wacky, rollicking underworld of club-goers, jive cult members, and at least one very violent Pipsqueak aficionado, Garth's black-sheep crime-prone brother joins the fray, sure that there's more to this squirrel than old fur and a pair of glass eyes. Suddenly Garth is starting to get a clue- The puppet star of one old-time TV show is leading him straight into the heart of a loopy cult, a retro rage, and a diabolical conspiracy to first control Pipsqueak-then the world.… (more)

This one took a strange turn, but it did keep my attention. The characters are likeable. ( )
  therestlessmouse | May 23, 2018 |
When I bought this book, I had dreams of Christopher Moore and Carl Hiaasen dancing through my head. The cover proclaims that Pipsqueak is "Demented and fun!" and "The flat-out coolest mystery I've read in years, not to mention the funniest." My verdict: not funny. Not at all. Other than the occasionally peculiar turn of phrase, this is a rather pedestrian mystery that, frankly, I just didn't give a shit about. The book reminds me of the run-of-the-mill comedies that everyone will rave about and when you watch it you can see the jokes coming from a mile away; you know the punchline long before the actors seem to. This is just a bland vanilla little book that is inoffensive and only marginally entertaining. I'll take absurd and vulgar any day over this. When it comes to comedy, I'll stick with Christopher Moore. ( )
  snat | Mar 21, 2010 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,382,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible