Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal (2001)

by Eric Schlosser

An exploration of the fast food industry in the United States, from its roots to its long-term consequences.

English (165)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (168)
This was a reread for me. While the statistics and numbers are deeply outdated by two decades, the information is still valuable as corporations do still endeavor to create the same dangerous homogeny and drive for ever-increasing profits regardless of the human cost. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jan 2, 2021 |
This was interesting, but not interesting enough, so I stopped.
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Read much of this in a class in college, and now that I'm on board with pretty much everything he was saying, I don't feel a huge need to finish it. Preaching to the choir, and all that. ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
Borrowed this copy from the UHD Library. It is one of 5 copies we ordered given the book is popular, and it is a required reading in some classes.

See my note on the book:
[http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-finally-finished-reading-fast-food.html] ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
Another widely published nonfiction title that had been on my TBR list for a long time. Most of it is in fact still relevant in 2020, as we learn more about the issues with large-scale meat packing/processing and minimum wage on-call workers. There are also interesting parts about franchising, and about building large vertical companies based on products like potatoes. You'll likely learn at least something about the people behind chain fast food, even if like me you had worked in such a place at one point and thought you had already learned plenty on the job. ( )
  jonerthon | Jul 12, 2020 |
''Fast Food Nation'' provides the reader with a vivid sense of how fast food has permeated contemporary life and a fascinating (and sometimes grisly) account of the process whereby cattle and potatoes are transformed into the burgers and fries served up by local fast food franchises.

This is a fine piece of muckraking, alarming without being alarmist.

It is a serious piece of investigative journalism into an industry that has helped concentrate corporate ownership of American agribusiness, while engaging in labor practices that are often shameful.

Eric Schlosserprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brzustowski, GenevièveTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlatterer, HeikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
楡井 浩一Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A savage servility slides by on grease. - Robert Lowell
for Red
Over the last three decades, fast food has infiltrated every nook and cranny of American Society.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,214,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible