Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Fast Food Nation (2001)

by Eric Schlosser

English (158)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (161)
this is excellent and full of interesting and thoughtful information. i know his point is about the agriculture, meatpacking, and fast food industries, but really i extrapolate this to industry and corporations in general. for me, in this time, and soon after rereading and the band played on, this hammers home how little we care about individuals. how much we sacrifice for the corporations to be able to get rich, how everyday people are used and hurt and thrown away to the benefit of a few people and a corporate name. it's disgusting and while i can feel good about not eating meat and rarely eating fast food, i think this could just as easily be about any of the things i love. our country is literally built upon the worst principles, every time we start an industry it seems we go about it the exact wrong way, and to the detriment of 99.9% of the people. it'd be unbelievable if we weren't living in the time we're in. in what other world would it make sense for the meatpacking industry to be in charge of reporting their own health code violations, for the usda not to be allowed to inspect them or shut them down? we've created a culture where only the businesses matter, and only the top few people in each one get rich, and it's all at the expense of everyone else. i'm so disgusted.

this book is well researched, well written, and well thought out. i appreciated reading it and was fascinated from the first page to the last, with little exception. i even had to look a few things up on my own to get more information as he moved on before i was ready on a few occasions. i was a little surprised that even though it's almost 20 years old that it is so prescient and relative now, and still totally worth reading.

"...driving seemed to cost much less than using public transport - an illusion created by he fact that the price of a new car did not include the price of building new roads. Lobbyists from the oil, tire, and automobile industries, among others, had persuaded state and federal agencies to assume that fundamental expense. Had the big auto companies been required to pay for the roads - in the same way that trolley companies had to lay and maintain track - the landscape of the American West would look quite different today."

"Eating in the United States should no longer be a form of high-risk behavior."

i can literally think of two only complaints with this book. the first is that there's one part where he claims that the sexual relationships between hourly workers and supervisors in a plant are mostly consensual, and then talks about how unequal their dynamic is. it completely misunderstands the idea of rape and consent and feeling forced into something for fear of losing a job or a promotion, etc. my other complaint is that there are about 70 pages of notes in the back of the book, but there is no indication when you're reading that they exist. there's no notation that there are endnotes, so they largely go to waste. i *love* endnotes and feel like i really missed out. (that said, footnotes are even better.) ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | May 23, 2019 |
The subtitle says it all! I haven't been to McDonalds'! Actually, it talks about what the franchising of the fast food restaurants have done to our country. What clout McDonalds has, once they decide to have their beef checked for mad cow. McDonalds is the biggest beef purchasers in the U.S. ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 26, 2017 |
This book took me WEEKS to read because I HATED the typset; it was just too difficult to read. It was an eye-opening book, but I was disappointed with the movie. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
Wow, if this doesn't open your eyes to the entire fast food industry and even grocery store meat, then munch blissfully away. The serendipitous thing about the timing of my listening to this book on CD is that I was headed for Colorado where one of the featured places in the book is located, and where the author may be from. I passed some of the places discussed in this book in Colorado and Nebraska. They look exactly as described. I haven't eaten much meat since I "read" this, and no beef. Even if you love meat, you should read this book.

The first half or so discusses the history of the fast food industry, including politics and people, and how things got to the state they are now and why. The second half reveals what really happens behind the scenes in making all those Happy Meals, etc. This half is not just about production but about conditions and people and how warped things are and how much worse they keep getting. Yes, if you ever eat fast food, you are part of this. No, you can't avoid being part of it even if you never eat fast food if you still buy meat at grocery stores.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian by any means, nor do I advocate that anyone quit eating meat. I do think you ought to consume and prepare beef and other meat with your eyes open, with knowledge.

The information contained in the book is something everyone should know about. The reader of the book on CD isn't all that riveting, so maybe it's better to read the book. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
''Fast Food Nation'' provides the reader with a vivid sense of how fast food has permeated contemporary life and a fascinating (and sometimes grisly) account of the process whereby cattle and potatoes are transformed into the burgers and fries served up by local fast food franchises.

This is a fine piece of muckraking, alarming without being alarmist.

It is a serious piece of investigative journalism into an industry that has helped concentrate corporate ownership of American agribusiness, while engaging in labor practices that are often shameful.

Eric Schlosserprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brzustowski, GenevièveTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlatterer, HeikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
楡井 浩一Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A savage servility slides by on grease. - Robert Lowell
for Red
Over the last three decades, fast food has infiltrated every nook and cranny of American Society.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060838582, Paperback)

On any given day, one out of four Americans opts for a quick and cheap meal at a fast-food restaurant, without giving either its speed or its thriftiness a second thought. Fast food is so ubiquitous that it now seems as American, and harmless, as apple pie. But the industry's drive for consolidation, homogenization, and speed has radically transformed America's diet, landscape, economy, and workforce, often in insidiously destructive ways. Eric Schlosser, an award-winning journalist, opens his ambitious and ultimately devastating exposé with an introduction to the iconoclasts and high school dropouts, such as Harlan Sanders and the McDonald brothers, who first applied the principles of a factory assembly line to a commercial kitchen. Quickly, however, he moves behind the counter with the overworked and underpaid teenage workers, onto the factory farms where the potatoes and beef are grown, and into the slaughterhouses run by giant meatpacking corporations. Schlosser wants you to know why those French fries taste so good (with a visit to the world's largest flavor company) and "what really lurks between those sesame-seed buns." Eater beware: forget your concerns about cholesterol, there is--literally--feces in your meat.

Schlosser's investigation reaches its frightening peak in the meatpacking plants as he reveals the almost complete lack of federal oversight of a seemingly lawless industry. His searing portrayal of the industry is disturbingly similar to Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, written in 1906: nightmare working conditions, union busting, and unsanitary practices that introduce E. coli and other pathogens into restaurants, public schools, and homes. Almost as disturbing is his description of how the industry "both feeds and feeds off the young," insinuating itself into all aspects of children's lives, even the pages of their school books, while leaving them prone to obesity and disease. Fortunately, Schlosser offers some eminently practical remedies. "Eating in the United States should no longer be a form of high-risk behavior," he writes. Where to begin? Ask yourself, is the true cost of having it "your way" really worth it? --Lesley Reed

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

Presents an examination of the fast food industry, tracing its history and discussing how it arose in postwar America, as well as the impact it has had on economy, food production, and popular culture.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible