True Grit (1968)

by Charles Portis

3,6521802,762 (4.14)1 / 284
In the 1870s, young Mattie Ross learns that her beloved father was gunned down by his former handyman. But even though this gutsy 14-year-old is seeking vengeance, she is smart enough to figure out she can't go alone after a desperado who's holed up in Indian territory. With some fast-talking, she convinces mean, one-eyed US Marshal "Rooster" Cogburn into going after the despicable outlaw with her.… (more)
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (ShelfMonkey)
    Warlock by Oakley Hall (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Another far-out, not-so-traditional western (and, incidentally, one of Thomas Pynchon's driving influences!).
    News of the World by Paulette Jiles (KatyBee)
    Yellow Back Radio Broke-Down by Ishmael Reed (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Along with Warlock, completes the trifecta of far-out westerns written by misunderstood comic genius. Reed, Hall, Portis: In that order. Give this author the attention he deserves.
    The Which Way Tree by Elizabeth Crook (amelielyle)
    amelielyle: Each of these enthralling yarns is a coming of age story in which the youthful narrator bravely faces the cruelties and dangers of life in an untamed western wilderness. Each comes to maturity in facing situations far too difficult for their tender ages. Touches of humor lighten the tone of two otherwise serious plotlines.… (more)
    Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Historical novel about a spunky, tomboy heroine struggling to survive the dangers of Civil War torn Missouri Ozarks. Sprinkled with humor.

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Westerns: True Grit5 unread / 5Sergeirocks, December 2016

English (176)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (180)
I want to give it more stars. ( )
  momsabiblia | Mar 11, 2022 |
Best. narrator. EVER. ( )
  jstruzzi | Jan 14, 2022 |
Best. narrator. EVER. ( )
  jstruzzi | Jan 14, 2022 |
> “… There will be expenses.” “I hope you don’t think I am going to keep you in whiskey.” “I don’t have to buy that, I confiscate it. You might try a little touch of it for your cold.” “No, thank you.” “This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good.” “I would not put a thief in my mouth to steal my brains.” ( )
  breic | Nov 28, 2021 |
I think this will always be one of my favourite books. Brilliant, evocative, short. A tale about the cost of revenge, redemption and courage in a bleak, desperate frontier wilderness. The book has been made into film twice, the second version being the Coen brothers interpretation which brings it to technicolor life brilliantly (though with a few of their own quirky excerpts thrown in). I'm always buying new copies of the book because I've given so many away. ( )
  FelixFern | Nov 10, 2021 |

Portis, CharlesAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Asmussen, DesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tartt, DonnaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father
People do not give it credence that a fourteen-year-old girl could leave home and go off in the wintertime to avenge her father's blood but it did not seem so strange then, although I will say it did not happen every day.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,120,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible