Take a Giant Step/a Pop-Up Book: A Pop-Up…

Take a Giant Step/a Pop-Up Book: A Pop-Up Book (One Very Small Square) (edition 1995)

by Donald M. Silver (Author)

1111,423,350 (4)None
By working the pop-ups, spinning wheels, flaps and pull tabs, young readers can go back millions of years to a very small square walked on by very big dinosaurs.
Member:seamainland
Title:Take a Giant Step/a Pop-Up Book: A Pop-Up Book (One Very Small Square)
Authors:Donald M. Silver (Author)
Info:W H Freeman & Co (Sd) (1995), Edition: Pop, 12 pages

One Very Small Square (Take a Giant Step/a Pop-Up Book: A Pop-Up Book) by Donald M. Silver

1995 (1) boys (1) children (1) dinosaurs (1) science (1)

Our modern day will never be able to experience such times as the mammoths and dinosaurs, and/or swampy forests but through this book we can imagine we’re walking through a national park. On this walk we endure great life and land experiences that help explain why things happen and how it affects the life around them. Along our path we spot out such things like fossils, predators, and unique origins of animals. Through this picture book the author offers us great informational facts regarding fossils and we could even make our own fossils.
The pop-ups throughout book are the reason I love this book because underneath each pop-it reveals an interesting fossil or insect or animal. Within the text, it actually talks about each pop-up and why it’s there. Not only does this book have pop-ups it also have tabs that we as readers can pull to find out what’s hidden behind a rock or tree or even in the water.
The narrator acts as a character and so does the audience. We both are on an adventure through time and what may have happened through this national park. Each giant step we take we are taking a gigantic step back into time where we see mammoths, saber-toothed lions, dinosaurs, and fossils galore. We see dinosaur eggs and then we venture to strange wonderful creatures that live in the water.
Ultimately, we end the book with an assessment of all fossils we seen throughout the book and the fossil expert, who is also a character in the story, asks us to se if we can recall of the fossils and where we seen them. The fossil expert continues to ask us to name each fossil and if not look not only through the inside of the book but the outside also.
The writing style of this book gives me a sense of the place it’s set because right in the beginning, we know that we are to use our imagination to venture through this national park. I feel that this book is great for the elementary level. Since it is a pop-up with great facts and a great adventure that goes along with it, it could be read from K-3 grades. Because it touches on so many topics covered in school, this book could be used in a lesson covering dinosaurs or fossils. It also touches on a very important science process skill, observation. Young children are making observations each day and are so interested in the world around them and with this book students can learn with their imagination through these picture book illustrations on some of the types of things that have happened in the past. ( )
  barndk01 | Nov 10, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,196,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible