Hansel & Gretel by Jakob Grimm

Hansel & Gretel

by Jakob Grimm

15None642,851 (3.17)None

Characters: Hansel and Gretel, Father, stepmother, and the witch

Setting: It takes place in the woods and cabin.

Theme: Do all you can to survive.

Genre: Folktale

Summary: This book tells the classic story of Hansel and Gretel and their adventures. The siblings live with their father and stepmother. Going through starvation, the stepmother suggested that the father leave the children in the woods to feed themselves. As the children are left in the woods, they leave a trail of rocks so that they know how to get back home. This is done multiple times. On the last situation where they leave breadcrumbs to find their way home, the crumbs are eaten by the birds. This is where they see a house made of gingerbread and go inside to eat. The witch in there feeds them until they are plump so that she could eat them. The sister out smarts the witch and was able to get the witch to fall into the crock pot. Soon enough, they find themselves some gold in the house and look for a way home. When they find their house, they find that the stepmother had died with their father waiting for them. With the money they found, they lived happily ever after.

Audience: Children who learn about how to think creatively.

Curriculum ties: Ties to early development, learning about different creativity, and folklore

Personal response: As a kid, I always liked listening to folktales. I like how the tales are so mysterious and sends me through a fantasy world. This book made me reimagine those stories that I used to hear at school. This book does things a little bit differently… The art is an old style oil painting of some soft and adds a bit of creepiness to it. I think if I was a child and had to read this book, I would be quite frightened. But the images did remind me of how the story was and really connected to the story telling. The story followed the original story and does a great job at it with the pictures. I miss folk tales. ( )
  Thach | Apr 22, 2013 |

When they are left in the woods by their parents, two children find their way home despite an encounter with a wicked witch.

1 avail.2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible