A Dog Needs a Bone! by Audrey Wood

A Dog Needs a Bone! (2007)

by Audrey Wood

What do dogs think? What do they feel? What makes them the most excited?

Audrey Wood, both the author AND illustrator, shares with her readers about a dog's life. Instead from a 3rd persons/narrator POV, Audrey Wood writes this book from the dog's POV so we can understand and feel all of the dog's feelings and thoughts.
The only thing this dog wants is a bone. He will do anything for a bone. The dog says "I'll stay by your side, no more will I roam. I'll sweep your floors and answer your phone. I'll treat you like a queen on a throne." This dog will do ANYTHING to get a bone. A bone made of wheat or one that squeaks, this dog does not care he just wants his mistress to give him a bone. A BONE! A BONE! SOMEONE GIVE THIS POOR DOG HIS BONE!
His mistress leaves for the store and later returns. She gives the dog a carrot, squash, and even some peas.
NO! NO! NO! This dog wants a BONE! She reaches into the bag and pulls out a bone. The dog is extremely satisfied! YAY!

Illustrations:
Have you ever colored on a brown paper bag?
If you have, the art in this book should look a bit familiar. Audrey drew all of the illustrations by coloring and sketching it all on a brown paper bag. Taken from her website (AudreyWood.com) Audrey explains "I tried several mediums: watercolor, acrylic, oil paints, and pastels. I was not happy with any of the results. In fact, I was very frustrated and almost abandoned the entire project." Audrey goes on to tell how, on rainy days, when she was a child, she would create art on paper bags with crayons. This gave her the brilliant idea to use a brown paper bag to create the art for this book. Audrey Wood drew so much details and expression onto the dog's face which helps bring this book to life. ( )
  Cmollere2012 | Oct 23, 2017 |
I do love Audrey Wood. [b:King Bidgood's in the Bathtub|1978707|King Bidgood's in the Bathtub|Audrey Wood|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1191250476s/1978707.jpg|2412510], [b:The Napping House|815234|The Napping House|Audrey Wood|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1178649498s/815234.jpg|359311], etc. I love how her style of art changes every time to best suit the story. This one is so simple and yet so funny I'm sure it's another hit with preschoolers. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a story about the things a dog would do for a bone. “I’ll stay by your side, no more will I roam.” “I’ll treat like a queen on a throne.” Young children will relate with all the exaggerated promises made by the dog to its mistress. It gives the point of view of the dog and how it desperately wants a bone. It’s great for a read out loud and has simple rhyming text.
Recommended for children 2 to 6
Colorful illustration
Easy to read print. ( )
  Johnika | Oct 13, 2011 |
I love this book because the pictures are really funny. This is a great book for first graders because of the pictures and easy text. When reading the book my children were very engaged.
  eastahlhut | Nov 24, 2009 |
This is an adorable story of a small puppy begging his master for a bone! He makes outrageous promises, and gets in alot of mischief when left alone. It is a great book for Pre-K to 1st grade students. The author uses several rhyming words to enhance phonemic awareness. The reading level for this book is 1.8. For more about the author, parents and teachers should visit www.audreywood.com.
  bdferguson | Nov 17, 2009 |
For my dog friends: Sumo, Duffy, Zara, lily, Enzo, Nona, Mandrake, Twilight, Happy, Sheba, Freddie, and Little Dog. And for my cat friends, too: Gizmo, George, and Roona Roo.
Mistress, kind Mistress, please give me a bone, and I'll stay by your side, no more will I roam.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054500005X, Hardcover)

Wood, Caldecott Honor recipient and bestselling author of THE NAPPING HOUSE, pens a humorous tale of a bone-obsessed pooch. As shown by GOOD BOY, FERGUS, simple dog books sell well with early readers.

Follow the plight of this bone-obsessed, lovable mutt as she spends her day waiting, pleading, and plotting for a bone from her mistress. Readers will delight in the humor and irresistable charm of this incorrigible canine as she tries to stave off her desire until at last she gets her long-awaited bone.
Young readers will be drawn to the simple rhyming text and playful crayon illustrations of this bestselling author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

In this rhyming tale, a dog makes extravagant promises to its mistress if only she will give it a bone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,541,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible