Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse

Letters from Rifka (original 1992; edition 2009)

by Karen Hesse

Member:Jade_Rose
Title:Letters from Rifka
Authors:Karen Hesse
Info:Square Fish (2009), Edition: 1 Reissue, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse (1992)

Rifka endures many hardships as she and her family flee a Russia that is looking for Jews in order to persecute them. Excellent novel. ( )
  mcorbink | Jan 15, 2018 |
n letters to her cousin, a young Jewish girl chronicles her family's flight from Russia in 1919 and her own experiences when she must be left in Belgium for a while when the others immigrate to America.
  salem.colorado | Jan 15, 2018 |
Growing up, this was one of my favorite books. I received a copy from my sister, and I read it numerous times over the course of six or seven years. I remember being so fascinated by Rifka's story - I still think back to it today. Occasionally, when I grab a banana, I remember Rifka laughing about how people on the island used banana's to tell if someone was a new immigrant. I want to have a copy of this book to keep and read for years to come and then to pass on to newer readers. ( )
  cbrwn92 | Nov 7, 2016 |
Rifka tells of her Jewish family's emigration from Russia to the United States in the form of letters.
  Jennifer LeGault | Oct 19, 2016 |
This book is a fantastic resource if you are teaching your class about immigration. The book is super unique in that it is written as series of journal entries or letters; also, the students enjoy it because the main character is typically around their age, which puts things into a different perspective for them. The books give students better insight into the experiences of those immigrants who came to America and the hard trials they faced in the process. The narrative is very detailed, and this book would be better utilized in upper grades, possibly 4th grade and higher.
  hannahpere | Oct 2, 2016 |
In memory of Zeyde and Bubbe, my beloved grandparents
The Weitzman Family
My dear cousin Tovah, We made it!

"In letters to her cousin back 'home' in Russia, 12-year-old Rifka tells of her journey to America in 1919, from the dangerous escape over the border through Europe and across the sea to the new country."--Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:47 -0400)

In letters to her cousin, a young Jewish girl chronicles her family's flight from Russia in 1919 and her own experiences when she must be left in Belgium for a while when the others emigrate to America.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,140,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible