The Civil War in Depth: History in 3-D

by Bob Zeller

The first book to present the greatest photographs of the Civil War in the three-dimensional format in which they were originally taken and meant to be seen, The Civil War in Depth is a landmark contribution to both photographic history and the ever-popular study of the Southern rebellion. Author Bob Zeller resurrects a fascinating aspect of Civil War photography that has, until now, been largely forgotten, assembling more than 150 of the most compelling views of the war -- some of them well known in their one-dimensional form; all of them remarkable windows on another time. Complete with a stereoscopic viewer that unveils each image in glorious 3-D, The Civil War in Depth offers scenes that come to life in a way no two-dimensional photograph ever could. The remarkable collection includes the first war action photograph ever taken -- the shelling of Fort Sumter in 1863 -- as well as more than a dozen Civil War images never published until now. From the stoic face of Abraham Lincoln to the slave pens, prisons, wrecked battlefields, and devastated cities of the South, the war between the states has never been revealed with such astonishing clarity.… (more)

A fascinating look at Civil War 3D photography! Even though I have now read several more recent books on the subject, this one holds-up very well and I was even able to view photos that I didn't know existed. Zeller had even managed to assemble stereoscopic photos taken by Southern photographers, including the first action shots ever taken in 3D and 2D. The 3D viewer can be very difficult to use successfully; I find the blue/red glasses of the later books to be easier to use, but it was a nice view down the history lane of "old" tech.

This book is easily approachable by those new to Civil War history and yet also useful to those armchair Civil War historians. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |

ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
This is one of the most interesting books about the Civil War that I own. Too often, when looking through old, faded, black and white photographs of the war, it is easy to forget that these were real people and real tragedies. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some of these photographs, and yet they have never made such an impression on me until this book. The 3D aspect the stereoscope gives to these photographs make them come alive, and you can almost picture yourself standing on the battlefield. ( )
  schatzi | Oct 10, 2009 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,610,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible