dismiss

Moominsummer Madness by Tove Jansson

Moominsummer Madness (original 1954; edition 2010)

by Tove Jansson (Author), Thomas Warburton (Translator)

A flood hits Moomin Valley and triggers a series of adventures for the Moomins.
Member:guyalice
Title:Moominsummer Madness
Authors:Tove Jansson (Author)
Other authors:Thomas Warburton (Translator)
Info:Puffin (2010), 144 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:children's, fantasy, Moomintrolls, Finnish, fantastic creatures, families, humor, floods, theaters, novel, fiction

Moominsummer Madness by Tove Jansson (1954)

Recently added byprivate library, guyalice, KalinkaKain, jtth, michelle.mcfadyen1, cphknitter, hatingongodot

English (11)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (15)
I think this might be my favorite Moomin book so far. It's the fourth I've read. It's midsummer in Moomin Valley and Snuffkin has yet to return from his winter adventures. Moomintroll is missing him terribly. But, the local volcano erupts and causes a stir in the ground, or something, which causes the sea to rise and engulf the Moomin house. About the time the water gets up to the roof, a sort of cave floats by and they all jump into it. It's a strange cave, with red velvet curtains, lots of nice pictures in the rafters, and rows of lights along the open side, the one with the red curtains. There's also someone who cackles in the night. Eventually, they find it's a theater in which they're living and the cackling comes from a properties mistress (or something). They decide to put on a play, which Moominpappa has chosen to write. But different people want different things, so Moominpappa keeps having to revise his script. In the meantime, Moomintroll and the Snork Maiden have been arrested for destruction of property. The actual destruction was done by Snuffkin, who was on his way back to Moomin Valley from his adventures. Along the way, he found Little My floating on the ocean, and has picked up some 24 Woodie children. Being a father is tough on a born wanderer. Anyway, somehow they all end up at the play, escape from the Hemulic police and make their way back to Moomin Valley and back to the Moomin house. They have to fix quite a bit up, but it's always good to be home.

The above is undoubtedly garbled and misses out on some delightful new characters, The Whomper and Misabel. Anyway, it was a rather charming story, which is just what is needed in to distract our minds from all the cruelty now being imposed by our brand-new, kleptocratic government. As Jimmy Buffet would have it, "if we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane". The Moomins keep us grounded, keep us laughing, and keep us from going insane. Bless their hearts.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |

The Moomins get washed out of their house by a flood; Moominmamma and Momminpappa (and a host of other small creatures) take refuge in what turns out to be a theatre - initially to their total bemusement, because they have no idea what a theatre is; but it doesn’t stop Moominpappa from writing a play. Meanwhile Moomintroll and the Snork Maiden have been separated from the rest of the household and have a series of edventures culminating in a jailbreak with the neurotic Fillyjonk.

(The Snork Maiden’s brother seems to have been written out.) This book possibly draws most on Tove Jansson’s own somewhat Bohemian upbringing. Her father was a famous sculptor, her mother was an artist too; and she herself had a strong attraction to the theatre (Vivica Bandler was an actor) and was closely involved with the stage adaptations of the Moomin stories in her lifetime. But here she is at least partly laughing at herself, and looking at the theatre through the eyes of characters for whom it is completely new.

It’s played for laughs a bit more than the other books (though there are a couple of rather sad characters, to offset the jollity). ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 23, 2018 |
Moominmamma nodded. She was dipping her snout in the water and looking at the bottom.
There’s a nice gleam down there,' she said.
'It’s your golden bracelet,' said Moomintroll. 'And the Snork Maiden’s necklace. Good idea, isn’t it?'
'Splendid,' said his mother. 'We’ll always keep our bangles in brown pond water in the future. They’re so much more beautiful that way.'

Another Moomin book, another natural disaster. This time a volcanic eruption causes a flood and the family has to take shelter in a floating theatre. I didn't enjoy it as much as the others in the series that I have read recently, as the supporting characters weren't as interesting. ( )
  isabelx | May 4, 2015 |
Delightful in every sense of the word.
Such a charm this book has that cannot be explained.In its simplicity and philosophical tone, the book tells a wonderful story.A pure,original work of art.It is one of those books which lead you to believe anything they might contain, however different. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Moomins came out of the pages, so much like quirky real-life neighbors they are.It was a truly enjoyable read with a sweet and fun story. And the best part- age is no barrier for this book ! It can entice anyone ! ( )
  Crown-of-daisies | Sep 12, 2013 |
A volcano erupts, the Moomin home is swept away in a flood, and adventures follow for Moomin and the Snork Maiden, Little My, the Moomin parents and the Mymble's daughter as well as other Moomin characters. The resolution involves a play and the reappearance of Snuflin and Midsummer's Eve. Endearing characters and lessons to be learned for all. ( )
  pennykaplan | Aug 21, 2011 |

Jansson, Toveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, LailaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kicherer, BirgittaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Till Vivica
This book was originally published in Swedish as 'Farlig midsommar'.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140305017, 0141328630

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,449,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible