The Labyrinth of Time: Introducing the Universe

by Michael Lockwood

Modern physics has revealed the universe as a much stranger place than we could have imagined. The puzzle at the centre of our knowledge of the universe is time. Michael Lockwood takes the reader on a fascinating journey into the nature of things. He investigates philosophical questions aboutpast, present, and future, our experience of time, and the possibility of time travel. And he provides the most careful, lively, and up-to-date introduction to the physics of time and the structure of the universe.He guides us step by step through relativity theory and quantum physics, introducingand explaining the ground-breaking ideas of Newton and Boltzmann, Einstein and Schroedinger, Penrose and Hawking. We zoom in on the behaviour of molecules and atoms, and pull back to survey the expansion of the universe. We learn about entropy and gravity, black holes and wormholes, about how itall began and where we are all headed. Lockwood's aim is not just to boggle the mind but to lead us towards an understanding of the science and philosophy. Things will never seem the same again after a voyage through The Labyrinth of Time.… (more)

Goodish introduction to the philosphical discussions there would be in this area. Lots of sparks flying but one feels the real info is in the popular science books - especially those written by leading scientists themselves. ( )
  m.a.harding | Jul 22, 2007 |
Very good, complete, and up-to-date account of the physics, philosophy, and psychology of time.
  fpagan | Dec 9, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,140,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible