La rivelazione by Cate Tiernan

La rivelazione (original 2002; edition 2009)

by Cate Tiernan (Author), C. Rolandelli (Traduttore)

Series: Sweep (12)

Morgan joins Hunter and a surprising new ally to battle the dark wave of destruction threatening not only their lives but those of everyone they love.
Member:ElayneCross
Title:La rivelazione
Authors:Cate Tiernan (Author)
Other authors:C. Rolandelli (Traduttore)
Info:Mondadori (2009), 226 pages

Eclipse by Cate Tiernan (2002)

I really liked this book. I couldn't believe what Morgan had to do in the end, but I think she did what was best. I can't wait to find out what happens with Alisha. Great read. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
The first 2-3 books in this series are addictive, a fresh "modern-teen" POV in the tired genre of witches/kids with supernatural powers finding themselves (and the wonder of Wicca) among families/communities who "don't get it".

After #3, it goes downhill. There is no psychological development of the main characters (and the secondary characters are quite shallowly described and hard to distinguish throughout the series; even the more promising and believable ones, BFFs Bree & Robbie are essentially dropped from the books by #4) a lot of the narrative suspenseful points are all "tell" and no "show", the conclusions are hurried and tied up nicely--except for a minimum of predictable suspense that the publisher made you have to draw people through the series. Also, each book is so short, (it's like a single chapter of a Harry Potter) that the narrative arc is predictable and hasty, and makes one wonder if these were paid by the book, or that the series was extended way beyond what should have been its natural life span by the publisher, or what.

It's no Harry Potter, that's for sure. Apart from the above flaws, here's no humor (unless you count Morgan's drinking Diet Coke all the time, which gets tired really fast) and no writing good enough to be enjoyed by adults as well (a sure sign of a good children's book).

Also there's way too much touchy-feely Wicca rituals and pseudo Gaelic chanting, which is not well enough written to be convincing and also gets tiresome.
  lxydis | May 11, 2013 |
Eclipse is split into two perspectives- Morgan's and Alisa's, which adds an interesting twist to the novel.

After betraying her father and refusing to join him and his coven, Morgan finds her family, friends, soul mate, and herself to be in mortal danger, for the dark wave is coming. The dark wave is a dark spell that has the ability to wipe out entire towns, destroying all that comes across it's path.

With the help of Rose's memoir, Hunter's father, Daniel, is able to construct a spell to dismantle the dark wave, but at the price of it taking the life of whomever were to perform the spell. It doesn't help that as the dark wave draws near, the blood witches begin to feel weakened and ill, draining them of their magic.

As all this is happening, another discovery is made while a life is changed. Alisa Soto, a mere teenage girl, discovers that she's not just an ordinary girl after all. In fact, she's half of a blood witch, with a full blood witch's power. The perfect candidate for the spell to dismantle the dark wave. She's witch enough to have the power to perform the spell, but all non-witch enough to withstand the negative aspects of the dark wave.

So her training begins with Hunter's father. The only question now is, will Alisa be able to learn the difficult spell in time to stop the dark wave from bringing mass destruction and death to Widow's Vale or will they all fail and have their lives snuffed out before they really had the chance to live them?

Eclipse is an intriguing novel in the Sweep series. Once again, Morgan finds her life to be in danger from magickal means. The love, betrayal, self-discovery, power, and danger that fills the pages of this novel are cleverly written as they are enchanting. This novel brings new twists and turns into the series, still able to hold the attention after eleven previous novels. ( )
  DARKANG3L | Jan 29, 2012 |
In this book, Alisa is coming to terms with the fact that her mother was a witch and that she is 1/2 witch. She has powers and has no idea how to control them. She turns to Morgan for help but Morgan is busy. A dark wave is coming and they have to create a spell to stop it. Is there any way the untrained Alisa can help?

As I say every time, I just love this series. Despite all the chaos around them these kids have time to worry about being home on time and dealing with future stepmothers. The magic in the books seems so real. I will really hate to see this series end. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Oct 20, 2011 |
After two books of changed voice, I am finally back at a Morgan book, three years after the last one. The last time I read an actual Morgan book, I was still in England with no idea that I would be leaving before the next Christmas.

I always find myself wondering how Tiernan can keep up the tension, book after book, set over such a short chronological timespan, and still keep it believable. After all, how can one person keep endlessly facing one crisis after another? But somehow it works and I really like the fact that the chronology is so closely followed, and that events don't just occur in a perpetual, timeless "now".

It was a bit frustrating at first to discover that even this book shares voice between Morgan and Alisa, and on the whole I prefer a singular voice, but it did work and I loved my annual fix of the Sweep series. I wonder where I'll be for the next one? ( )
  mandochild | Apr 18, 2010 |
To Stephanie Lane, with gratitude
"Oh, please. Will you two stop already? This is disgusting."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,293,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible