Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil

by Jeff Smith

Series: Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil (omnibus), Shazam! (2007)

When a young orphan Billy Batson finds himself transformed into the World's Mightiest Mortal whenever he says the magic word "Shazam!," he must use his extraordinary abilities to face an invasion of alien creatures and stop mad scientist Dr. Sivana and his Monster Society of Evil from taking over the world.… (more)

This comic is very sweet and Jeff Smith's art is as cute here as it is in Bone but the story didn't really connect with me. The pacing was so fast and I was too distressed over what a shitty life Billy and Mary had. And I know that Mary is bulletproof and Billy can kind of switch places with whatever Captain Marvel is (an adult something) but I'm glad that this was as cartoonish as it was because I don't think I want to see a little boy and an even littler girl get into realistic fights with grownup super-villains. Also I feel like in regular stories Mary Marvel is usually older but I can't keep track of whatever it is DC does with their continuity so maybe she's a little girl now. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
Re-read - still love it! ( )
  scout101 | Sep 15, 2020 |
I liked this, but I wanted to love it; I got interested in reading more modern takes on Captain Marvel after enjoying the character's appearances in The Multiversity and Convergence: Infinite Earths. I don't think The Monster Society of Evil quite hits the notes of joy or childlike wonder that those stories do; Smith's take on Captain Marvel is a little too... bogged down. It's nowhere near grim and gritty, but it feels bound in a way that those other stories don't. Still: Smith's artwork is delightful and the story does a great job playing with a lot of classic Captain Marvel concepts but updating them for the 2000s. I can always go for a talking tiger.
  Stevil2001 | Nov 19, 2019 |
5 stars for these lines on pgs 132-133

Captain Marvel: "...All i want to do is make peace."
Cyclops: "All I want to do is plow the earth...with your head!" ( )
  amuskopf | Jun 7, 2018 |
Summary:
Billy Batson is a homeless orphan who is also a “host” for Captain Marvel. Billy's bad behavior almost causes mass destruction of the human race at the hands of Mr. Mind and the Monster Society of Evil. Dr. Sivana represents politics and he loves to collect money. Billy also invents a network called “SNN” to help him expose Dr. Sivana. Billy is abused from adults in a abandoned building while his sister Mary lives with a mean foster parent.
Personal Reaction:
Im not a big comic book reader myself but if it helps children love to read and develop a good vocabulary, then it is a good book.
Extension Ideas:
I would have my students write their own comic strip.
I would have the children create a class comic and each group create one box of the strip. ( )
  jaykay2 | Apr 17, 2011 |

Jeff Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ross, AlexIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Shazam! (2007)
We've lost! Quick! Eat the children!
This a collection of Captain Marvel's mini-series by Jeff Smith. Please, don't combine it with the book of same name by C. C. Beck, because they are totally different.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,287,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible